Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Miller WAR Machine - High compression S50 Build

NeilM is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    Not as ugly as it might have been, but ugly enough nonetheless.

Time to uprate the oil pump with a VAC shaft? Or better yet, that plus the dual pickup pump/pan?

Neil

My Cars
    Unicycle
    Neil,

I am going with Achilles Motorsports upgraded pump shaft. We carry it now too. see here: https://www.millerperformancecars.co...aft-kit-detail

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Glad to see it's going to be back on the road!

My Cars
    Unicycle
    SO a little confused here. Got my new crank and balancer today. The new balancer off the s50 crank sent to me is WAY more beef than what I was running. Mind you I took the balancer off my M50 when I built my engine because the one that was sent with my core S50 was wrong anyway.

So is there a difference between M50 and S50 balancers? Was my M50 somehow using an OBDII balancer?

See pics the balancer with the white grease pen mark is the new "s50" balancer.

If anything my new balancer albeit heavier, should dampen better.

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    The one on the right is an M50 non-vanos. The left one is the S50/M50/M52/S52 balancer. I'd use the left one ... it's way lighter.
    Check out the 8legs Racing page: https://www.facebook.com/8legsRacing/

My Cars
    Unicycle
    NVM LOL late night...
    Last edited by Brody @ Miller; 02-14-2014 at 11:47 PM.

My Cars
    1995 328i Coupe
    Hey dude, maaad build. Real shame it decided to grenade like that.
    Did you notice much torque loss with the huge cams you managed to fit in there? how would you say the low end torque of your motor compares to a stock s52?

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Any update on this build?

My Cars
    Unicycle
    Here is a small update:

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    I see this car everywhere, from 3000 miles away. A favorite. Tho I thought it was boosted.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    sounds like an S54... pretty awesome.
    TRM Coilovers 670F/895R | BBS LM | Corsa RSC36

My Cars
    99 M3, 16' x35d, 09 128i
    All that time and money and you put racelands on it?

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by KnudsonsM3 View Post
    All that time and money and you put racelands on it?
    I drove in a car with racelands, it wasn't bad. Probably not the best for a autox or road course. But for street car, was a nice ride. Don't know how long they last, but was a decent ride.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    e28, e30, e36
    awesome video, I remember when you first started this build, its a great resource of info.

My Cars
    Unicycle
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters Stoch View Post
    I drove in a car with racelands, it wasn't bad. Probably not the best for a autox or road course. But for street car, was a nice ride. Don't know how long they last, but was a decent ride.
    LOL exactly. I laugh whenever people go for a ride and start asking are these X Y or Z expensive brand coilovers and then they shit when I tell them Racelands. If they can't tell the difference on the street, then for a street car, why spend track car money??

Also, its going on 4 years now. Another friend had the regular RL, not the Ultimos like mine, on his car the whole time he owned it with no issues (4 or 5 years) so as stated in the video, I never "track" it.

My Cars
    M3 Saloon
    Beautiful sedan. Sounds SO mean too!!!

I didn't see a couple details clarified though. New block needed after all? I'm assuming you tracked down the cause of the high rpm power losses at this point? Vanos on/ off? Cams degreed at TDC or outside blocks? Any chance you can school us on what was learned from that?

Raceland gets knocked because of the name but I find their quality is pretty good. I know you're talking about struts but my rep headers have been to at least 4 reputable metal worker/ machine shops/ engine builders. When I tell them how much I paid they say comments like no way, never could you afford to sell on labor time let alone materials to fabricate, or they must have beer cans made of stainless in China! Haha

My Cars
    99 M3, 16' x35d, 09 128i
    Quote Originally Posted by Brody @ Miller View Post
    LOL exactly. I laugh whenever people go for a ride and start asking are these X Y or Z expensive brand coilovers and then they shit when I tell them Racelands. If they can't tell the difference on the street, then for a street car, why spend track car money??

Also, its going on 4 years now. Another friend had the regular RL, not the Ultimos like mine, on his car the whole time he owned it with no issues (4 or 5 years) so as stated in the video, I never "track" it.
    So you're basing the quality of a coilover on passengers opinions? If you know anything about suspension, you know you'd benefit from a quality set up. You would like the increased grip too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hide1 View Post

I didn't see a couple details clarified though. New block needed after all? I'm assuming you tracked down the cause of the high rpm power losses at this point? Vanos on/ off? Cams degreed at TDC or outside blocks? Any chance you can school us on what was learned from that?

Raceland gets knocked because of the name but I find their quality is pretty good. I know you're talking about struts but my rep headers have been to at least 4 reputable metal worker/ machine shops/ engine builders. When I tell them how much I paid they say comments like no way, never could you afford to sell on labor time let alone materials to fabricate, or they must have beer cans made of stainless in China! Haha
    They get knocked because they're junk dampers and they're made in china.

What suspension are you running on your car?
    Last edited by KnudsonsM3; 07-11-2015 at 10:25 PM.

My Cars
    1997 328i Sedan
    So you're basing the quality of a coilover on passengers opinions? If you know anything about suspension, you know you'd benefit from a quality set up. You would like the increased grip too.

- - - Updated - - -

They get knocked because theyre junk dampers and their made in china.

I don't think I understand this mentality. I get that if you want something built right the first time China is not probably where you would go. But most of the world builds in China now, even for "high end" brands. If you think for a second that Chinese people couldn't take a pair of $10,000 moton shocks and produce a decent facsimile for $1000 then I don't think you understand the markup on high end shocks.

To be clear, I do not know Jack about racelands, but for people that don't have money resting on a laptime, (shrugs). Meh.
    - E36 328i black - Steel adjustable rear lower control arms, Bridgestone RE-11
    - E46 325ci white

My Cars
    M3 Saloon
    My suspension is in my sig..? You trying to get at something?
    If the mind can conceive it, & you believe it, you will achieve it. - Napolean Hill
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1998 Alpine White & 1998 Arctic Silver ///m3/4/5
    JC Intake - ASC Delete - Dinan TB - Flow Matched 21.5# Injectors - JC Tune - SS Euro Reps (modified to retain SAP) - z3m ssk - Eisenmann Race 76mm - Yokohama Advan S2 - Squared LTW's - FK Silverline +X - Rogue FCAB/ RTAB/ RSM/ TM - X-Brace - CDV Delete -Racing Dynamics F&R Strut Braces - NGK BKR6E- German Castrol 0w-40

My Cars
    99 M3, 16' x35d, 09 128i
    I'm done wrecking this thread.

My apologies OP.

My Cars
    Unicycle
    Quote Originally Posted by hide1 View Post

Yeah I needed a new block because when I was removing an O ring it chipped the top of the cylinder wall. The High RPM power loss I saw (only on the dyno) a long time ago was actually a problem with the particular dyno I was on. When I went back to a different dyno, that extreme fall off was not present nor could it ever be felt on the street. A fall off like was graphed would feel like you are being thrown through the windshield if it was actually occuring.

I am running stock cam timing right now and making less power (275 whp) than when I had both cams advanced a 3 or 4 degrees. With the advanced cam timing I was a couple ponies short of 300 wheel. With these particular cams (and almost all aftermarket performance cams) stock timing is probably the worst position you can have them in if you want to get everything out of the car.
    Last edited by Brody @ Miller; 07-12-2015 at 08:59 PM.

My Cars
    M3
    Seen this thread when you started it glad you have a moving car now cool build.

My Cars
    95 M3
    nice vid, very well done and I'm glad you got it back together.
    Last edited by hsvturbo; 07-18-2015 at 05:40 PM.
    WOT

My Cars
    BMW 325i 1986 E30
    How much WHP did he get in the end???

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567