Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steering assist goes away, comes back

My Cars
    Cool Volvo, Ugly BMW
    Thanks Hyper. I figured the m60/m62 LUK pumps were all usable because of the same mounting points. Some have different threaded rod sections, but all attach the same way. LUK pumps across the 540/740/840 all seem to be 130 bar, but I have seen a few (E53 X5?) that were 120 bar. There are also green and red label versions, perhaps a CHF vs ATF fluid spec (doubt it).

I asked simply because I saw someone use an 840 pump in their 540 and you were the only other person that bothered to do their homework/be brave, so thanks for confirming. My pump does not actually need replaced after all this.

Regarding the rest of the specs of the pump, I found a LUK document decoding the pumps used in their heavy truck offerings. I can try and dig it up if you are interested, but a 130 bar 68 series pump is indeed a 130 bar 68 series pump at the end of the day.

From my reading on power steering issues across the web, I noticed that the large PS line to the pump (the one closest to front of the engine) may indeed have an internal check valve. Did you change any of your hoses when you swapped components? I found a large amount of burnt and somewhat dark sludge in my system and all factors point to a line that is deteriorating internally. Is it reasonable to think that internally poor condition hoses this perhaps impacting the feel of the PS and braking system? Some folks seem to indicate an increase in pedal feel after changing their lines on a shared pressure system, but it would not me the first time someone imagined something better than reality.
    What "thumbs up" really means

My Cars
    '97 840CI
    Quote Originally Posted by toomanyparts View Post
    ... Is it reasonable to think that internally poor condition hoses this perhaps impacting the feel of the PS and braking system?...large PS line to the pump...
    That was included in my points Re:-> Brake performance? thread, but it was the possibility of contaminates being thrown off into the booster's intake screen, not necessarily the immediate condition of the hoses.
    At the time of the steering box trouble in this thread, the hoses were swapped out due to the typical leaks around the crimps AND because I was modifying the hoses with my sensor add-ons.
    It was only later that I was considering probable causes of contaminates at the booster.

At least for the 840, I've got the PS line coming off the regulator.

My Cars
    Cool Volvo, Ugly BMW
    Hyper - Can I kindly ask you how you go around some of the less than reasonable power steering hose costs when you changed yours?

For instance, the cooler to steering box hose - 32411140117:
    e31 return hose.jpg
    This retails for close to $500. Not a chance I'm game.

However, see this E32 740 steering box to cooler hose - 32411141505:

E32 Cheap Hose.jpg

This is available for as low as $20 (CRP via online discount site).

I am going to take a chance, order and modify this cheap E32 hose by trimming the edge before the bend. This may be a new reality for 840 owners who actually want a non leaking system and unwilling to resort to finding a competent hydraulic shop willing to crimp a new hose on.

Interested in hearing how you tackled this since you seem to sleep less than me.

My Cars
    '97 840CI
    Hyper - Can I kindly ask you....
    Actually, no.
    We are deviating on too many points which I must list curtly...
    - I'm insensitive to the cost of parts because I'm dealing with higher level issues. Therefore I'm mission oriented, the mission being returning the vehicle to service and having it stay there....while avoiding 3rd party commercial shops. Along the way: $550 just to buy a regulator, just for A-B verification. Same for a new MC for the same reason.
    - I'm actually not good at "help desk" beyond my own products. Others are way better because it's their interest and hobby. I'm actually an R&D guy, the type you'd find listed in the patent office, and I am. Fyi, my central efforts relate to electronics, software & control.
    - I think threads ought to remain about what their title says they are. I'm still mystified how my "Up Before Six" thread turned into low level chit-chat about supercharging (was it?).
    - I really AM out of here.

My Cars
    '97 840Ci, '02 X5 4.6is
    For instance, the cooler to steering box hose - 32411140117 This retails for close to $500
    32411140117 is a return hose. Cut the crimp connector, and put a normal hose with a clamp on it. Same applies to 34321159286.
    WBR, Tony

My Cars
    Cool Volvo, Ugly BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyper View Post
    Actually, no.
    Ok and sorry. Wrong thread.

Quote Originally Posted by mr1173 View Post
    32411140117 is a return hose. Cut the crimp connector, and put a normal hose with a clamp on it. Same applies to 34321159286.
    Thank you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12