Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Over the Counter and Commercial Detailing Products!!!!!

My Cars
    05/2003 530i Sport
    I would skip the mitt and get 2-3 grout sponges from HD or Lowes. I just switched over this week. I took a doubled edged razor (feather brand) and cut vertical and horizontal lines about .75" deep into the surface to create squares on both sides. The sponge picks up much more dirts and traps it into the pores. It holds much more water, releases dirt easily, and creates many suds. Theyre also $2. The price is great but not the main motivation to buy it. Ive had two different types of microfiber mitts and was using a sheepskin mitt up until last week. The sheepskin sheds over time. Sheepskin and microfiber are more prone to swirling even with working top to bottom, using a high lubricant soap, and two buckets with grir guards. The sheepskin is also hard to dry because of the hide like interior lining the restricts drying. This overtime increases shedding.

My Cars
    2007 BMW 328i
    Again, Thanks for the great info in this thread!!
    One question......Are the vinyl cleaners recommended okay to use on leatherette.... Or should I just use a mild soap and water?

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by beachbumbimmer View Post
    Again, Thanks for the great info in this thread!!
    One question......Are the vinyl cleaners recommended okay to use on leatherette.... Or should I just use a mild soap and water?
    Honestly I would. I HIGHLY doubt it's going to damage the leatherette. Also, even if it is, it'll take an extremely long time. I'm talking years.

You should be fine!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky View Post
    You ride in a Mercedes, You Drive a BMW

-Andy

My Cars
    E28, E32, E39, E53, E90
    Solid list of products here! I also wrote a post on my blog about the top 5 products I think every BMW owner should have for detailing. Let me know what you think!

https://bimmerzeit.com/2016/03/22/5-essential-bmw-detailing-products/

My Cars
    02/330ci
    Good info...
    ]

My Cars
    SN95, E39 530i/5
    I used to used OTC items, but when you start using Top Quality products from speciality companies, I achieve higher results. I am having great results using the Masterson's Car Care line. Great products!

My Cars
    83 xj,6 76 cosworth
    from a car wash owner and professional detailer for over 25 years. where I only use commercial products they are very similar to over the counter except they come in gallons or even 5 gal pails. for the most part you are spot on . but most important is washing car with ONLY CAR WASH SOAP! car wash soap has lubricitors to keep a microscopic layer between the cloth and the painted surface, this is what causes those very fine light scratches, no matter what towel is used. Any carnauba wax will protect your finish some give higher gloss (usually less durable), the pad used also changes what product you use on a car, since we use orbitals for waxing, at our car wash, we typically use a carnauba wax with light duty cleaner and a yellow pad (mid grade). What you have to remember with any cleaner wax (inducing clear coat cleaner wax) you are wearing down the clear coat. Most homeowners hand waxing with a small pad will probably never have an issue, but if you use an orbital stay clear of all edges. When we get a new car we will use a black pad with a straight carnauba no cleaner (black pads are softest). if you ever wonder how the show cars look so brilliant, they layer wax. A company called the chemical guys have all these products. and you can layer 2, 3 or more coats of wax and it will give it more depth.
    Next post for leather!

- - - Updated - - -

If your still with me after previous post: Now Leather, Armoral is now safe to use (no more alcohol). but the best leather conditioner is LEXOL period!!! Go to a place that sells $20,000 horse saddles and ask what they use. I had an old jag that the seats were hard as a rock I applied Lexol (even before cleaning). every month, for 5 or 6 months, after the 3rd or 4th application leather started to come back to life. The less you use the easier it is to apply. as far as cleaners go if you keep using Lexol the natural oils start to soak in the seats and after the 2 or 3 apps the dirt will just start lifting out. As far as cleaners go, any quality leather cleaner will be PH neutral, PH in cleaners is what determines how strong it is (a high alkaline product can be just as deadly as a low PH is acidic or acid product). That means PH neutral is very weak. because every time you clean leather (even with PH neutral) you take out moisture and causes cracks and bad creases, so never clean leather w/o applying conditioner. when a customer comes to our wash and wants me to clean a spot they say just spray a little cleaner and wipe it off! I will not do it. Its safe to wipe leather with a damp towel but be careful of chemicals and the type of pad you use, because you can scratch or even discolor leather. I have used everything from saddle soap to mink oil to zymoil, but I keep coming back to Lexol.

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    Nice info and some very good products. I would add to use the "two bucket wash method" to the list.

I buy Meguiars 105 and 205 at Harbor Freight and use the 20% off coupon, saves you over $6. on the 32oz bottle.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12