Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Over the Counter and Commercial Detailing Products!!!!!

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325i

Cool Over the Counter and Commercial Detailing Products!!!!!

Ok so I made this guide for a couple of my friends a long time ago and just thought that I should share this on here. I've been in the BMW community for a while and I've been into cars for a long time as well. I've never really felt the need to get my car extensively detailed because lets face it, there is absolutely no way to keep your car from scratches and dings. Being a college student, even as safe as I am I still manage to get inconsiderate people parking next to me and dinging my doors.

I'm not affiliated with any of the companies I post links to, just know they make good products that you can buy locally over the counter at a Target, Walmart, Pep boys, etc.

I'm gonna keep this simple and basic that even 16 year old's on the forum can follow

Again this is a VERY basic informative post. For detailing school we're sponsored by Autogeek.net so definitely go over there if you have the time, patience, and desire to learn so much about detailing.

First up: WASHES

The two main washes I'm currently using are Meguiars Gold Class and Ultimate Wash and Wax.

WINDOW CLEANING

Windex is a BIG no-no when it comes to cars. Since windex can damage window tint it is not recommended at all to use on windows. Also it has ammonia in there and smells bad, so why use it? Costco sells a product called sprayaway in a pack of 5 for only $5. You really can't beat this product. Besides you can even use it in your house. If for some reason you don't want to buy it you can just use invisible glass. I prefer using the window cleaners that foam up because it helps absorb the oil. Something about the sudsing action helps clean better.

CLAYBARS

Whichever company offers a sale on claybars is the one you should buy. They are pretty much identical. I however stick to the Meguiars one because theres a bit more claybar in the box then the Mothers.

WAX

Now there is ALOT of different waxes out there and all types of polishes, color correcting polishes, carnuba waxes etc, etc, etc, to make your head spin. You're main focus on using a wax is to get the paint clean and shiny as well as repel water. Meguiars cleaner wax is very basic one and does the job well!

INTERIOR PRODUCTS

When it comes to interior cleaning EVERYONE and their mom's know about armor all. Im sure everyone on here in the detailing section especially knows to stay away from this stuff. I'm not exactly sure why but from what I've heard it contains alcohol in there and cracks your dashboard and leather over time. Not to mention its extremely oily.

Leather/Vinyl/Plastic
    I'm currently using Meguiars Gold Class Leather Cleaner and Conditioner cause it's 2 in 1 and im lazy

However mothers has a product called VLR that does Vinyl, Leather, AND Rubber.

Another product is Vinylex from Lexol. It's for Vinyl, Plastic and Rubber.

SIDENOTE: If your exterior trim is faded, you could use a Vinyl product to restore it. I've used various trim/moulding restorers and they haven't really been to my liking.

My Favorite product for interiors is Meguiars Quick Interior Detailer. It does ALL the surfaces. The only complaint I have is that it doesn't leave a shine HOWEVER it does add some UV protection.

Tire Dressing

I have used MANY different tire dressings throughout the years and I really can't say I have a favorite. Meguirs Hot Shine has served me well. I'm currently using Black Magic's tire shine because it was on sale which isn't too bad. Make sure you use a tire dressing applicator.

Sponges, Towels, Mitts, Applicators

Ok the general rule of thumb here is to stick to microfiber. Microfiber doesn't scratch paint like other towels. Just make sure the microfibers you buy have low lint and are fairly thick and absorbent. As far as washing mits go, again make sure its microfiber. For waxing and interior detailing you can use foam applicator pads. Don't get these mixed with the circular microfiber pads. Which are good as well I just prefer the foam ones for both interior and exterior.

I hope this helped out some people. If anyone has questions please don't hesitate to PM me!

Thanks!
    Last edited by FadetoCrimson1; 02-13-2013 at 04:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky View Post
    You ride in a Mercedes, You Drive a BMW

-Andy

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Good article!! I agree with almost all of it, especially as an entry level diy with easily available products, and a budget. Key for over the counter stuff, as you mention, find the sales!

I personally think the Megs interior quick detailer works just as good as lexol for cleaning leatherette and coated leather. Keeping the seats clean, even if it is just with a damp towel, is key. As you go longer without cleaning the leather the more hard core it will be to remove soils, and the more intensive products you will need (ie not otc). Lexol conditioner makes a slimy mess imo.

As far as armor all, although their formulation has changed, and plastics used in dahboards also improved (so no craking even with armorall), armorall is slimy, shiny, and attracts dust. The image that comes to mind is a glossy black hard plastic 90's Camaro's interior - yuk! The Megs interior detailers, although slightly shiny too, are leagues above armor all imo. Some dashes can use slightly more oils, other can use something as matte as 1z cp (mail order). Aerospace protectant 303 is a good alternative and has great uv properties. I find 303 at my parts store but not at target/walmart.

Everythig else is spot on even for more seasoned diy-ers.

Good job!!!

My Cars
    M Roadster, 318IS
    I would delete the Meguiar's interior detail products and just keep the VLR.

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325i

Thumbs up

Thanks JLB! Much appreciated man I spent alot of time on this.

Just trying to help the community out and keep it simple!

-Andy

My Cars
    '74 tii, '85 & '86 535i
    I would delete the Lexol leather products (for use in a car), but give their Vinylex a thumb's up.
    http://www.autogeek.net/lexsprayvin.html
    John in VA
    BMW CCA member
    National Capital Chapter
    '74 tii "Juanita"
    '85 535i "Goldie"
    '86 535i "M-POSSTR"
    '00 328i "Fern"
    '03 530i "Titan"

My Cars
    '99 M3 TT stg II
    Quote Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
    I would delete the Lexol leather products (for use in a car), but give their Vinylex a thumb's up.
    http://www.autogeek.net/lexsprayvin.html
    agreed, I like Vinylex. I also like their leather conditioner on my couches because its cheap and soaks in well. I used a whole bottle of leatherique pristine clean on a very expensive couch I have in the theater room, while it turned out awesome......it used the whole damned bottle!

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325i
    Edited thanks for the input guys!

-Andy

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Coupe
    Great thread, good to see people normal people be able to take care of their cars

1997 BMW ///M3 Hellrot
    "60% of the time, it works everytime"

My Cars
    76 2002 "tii"
    Quote Originally Posted by jlb85 View Post
    As far as armor all, although their formulation has changed, and plastics used in dahboards also improved (so no craking even with armorall), armorall is slimy, shiny, and attracts dust. The image that comes to mind is a glossy black hard plastic 90's Camaro's interior - yuk
    Ha! My image is a buddy's 89 Mustang GT. We called it Chia-dash cause it looked like it was growing hair!
    Kyle Burkhardt
    NASA Midwest Spec E30 Series Director
    76 2002 "tii"
    14 Mustang GT Track Pack

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Coupe
    What do you recommend to remove the gloss from products applied to the steering wheel?

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by troberts View Post
    What do you recommend to remove the gloss from products applied to the steering wheel?
    By gloss do you mean some type of shiny vinyl dressing? Like is there armor all or something on there?

If that's what you are asking then you could just wait for it to dry up.... Or you could use a rag and just wipe off as much as you can off.

-Andy

My Cars
    E36 M3 Sedan
    Great over the counter products to buy indeed

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiemedown View Post
    Great over the counter products to buy indeed
    Thanks bro!
    Last edited by FadetoCrimson1; 02-23-2013 at 02:43 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

-Andy

My Cars
    2007 BMW 328i
    Good info!! As someone new to the bimmer world I want to take meticulous care of my car. Where would I find the Vinylex product.....any auto parts store, retail store?
    Thanks
    -Tim

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS
    My local pep boys has megs 105 and 205 which is great for cutting and polishing.

My Cars
    '74 tii, '85 & '86 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by beachbumbimmer View Post
    Where would I find the Vinylex product.....any auto parts store, retail store?
    Usually wherever Lexol products are found - big box auto parts places, maybe even Walmart.
    John in VA
    BMW CCA member
    National Capital Chapter
    '74 tii "Juanita"
    '85 535i "Goldie"
    '86 535i "M-POSSTR"
    '00 328i "Fern"
    '03 530i "Titan"

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by beachbumbimmer View Post
    Good info!! As someone new to the bimmer world I want to take meticulous care of my car. Where would I find the Vinylex product.....any auto parts store, retail store?
    Thanks
    -Tim
    Try pepboys, autozone, Kragen, oreily, nappa. Walmart and target don't have it trust me I've checked

-Andy

My Cars
    2009 BMW 238i sedan
    Ok so I'm in a bind here. I'm currently living on an ar force base in Oklahoma and dreadfully keeping my car outside. The air is very dry and even after a couple days and a light rain my car looks horrendous with dirt and other deposits on it. I have hand washed my car several times just with a basic "advanced formula" that help's water bead, but I also made the HUGE mistake or running it thru an automated car wash several times and I can definitely see tiny scratches all over it as well as white calcium deposits left behind. Can someone please have pity on my irresponsible soul and give a suggestion to reverse this damage if possible? I have also bought a cover for the car to help keep it from dust/rain....etc. I have a wash bay at my disposal here on the AFB, I just need to run to auto zone and pick up the stuff listed above. I just need a little step by step guide to make sure I do the job right! Thanks.
    Last edited by Curtiswg; 02-26-2013 at 01:02 AM.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    At this point it is not about "doing it right", but more about containment of the problem. Doing it right starts from the beginning. You are trying to mitigate the damage until you are off base and have access to a garage again.

The scratches do not concern me, but the spots do. If they are "active" they can continue to etch the paint. Use vinegar or CG's water spot remover. If they come off, then wash and wax the vehicle. If they do not, try a light clay. If they persist you will need a good polish/correction once you are off base. Wash and wax and leave it alone. Use a spray wax after each wash. Do not use an automatic car wash ever again.

As far as step-by-steps, this thread should give you enough info to figure it out. If not, there are many threads on process herein this subforum, autogeekonline, etc. Each have detailing 101's, all it takes is a little time searching through.

My Cars
    2009 BMW 238i sedan
    Great, should I also use the compound to get the scratches out (now? or wait) or should a wash/wax do for now?

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325i
    Not sure if it's asking for too much but can we get this stickied for all the noobs like myself

-Andy

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i
    This is a good thread to keep saved for reference - thanks.
    2001 BMW 530i e39 / Automatic / Orient on Dove

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325i
    No problem sir!

Gotta keep bumping this thread!

-Andy

My Cars
    BMW E90
    Nice post

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by kkroto View Post
    Nice post
    Thank you sir!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Curtiswg View Post
    Great, should I also use the compound to get the scratches out (now? or wait) or should a wash/wax do for now?
    Compounds are usually pretty abrasive.... I'd start with a regular wax. The meguiars cleaner wax somewhat works as a polish to get some very minor scratches out. I would try using that first. Again this thread is for simplicity. There's 5 trillion products out there.

-Andy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast