Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sedan vs. touring/wagon compatability

My Cars
    '14 E350, e36, 2002
    I'm looking to buy a cheap complete M3 so yes, I would try to swap over as much as I can. I'd rebuild the motor and depending on miles I'd either send out & rebuild or have someone service and go through the M3 gearbox.

I have been trying to find a same-year pair. I have been assuming finding the touring will be harder so once I find a Touring I will look for a same-year M3.

Should I worry about the touring and the M3 being the same year??

My Cars
    335d, 328xd (had 330xi)
    Quote Originally Posted by floydr View Post
    Manual is definitely the way to go. Be sure to get the M3's transmission if you're using an M3 engine - it's different than the non-M. (I believe the non-M transmission will fit but it's not as beefy.)
    One other thought came to mind: the S54 is an iron block; it and the M3 tranny are heavier than the M52/M54, so will need the M3 front end suspension pieces to support the weight.

Quote Originally Posted by 540iguyy View Post
    Should I worry about the touring and the M3 being the same year??
    I would not buy a 323it and put an M3 engine in it - probably they updated things going from M52 to M54. I don't think that LCI (2004?) matters, as it was only iDrive and body electronics that changed.

My Cars
    '14 E350, e36, 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by floydr View Post
    One other thought came to mind: the S54 is an iron block; it and the M3 tranny are heavier than the M52/M54, so will need the M3 front end suspension pieces to support the weight.

I would not buy a 323it and put an M3 engine in it - probably they updated things going from M52 to M54. I don't think that LCI (2004?) matters, as it was only iDrive and body electronics that changed.
    Actually these are exactly the things I'm concerned about. I have a pretty well-known shop that will most probably be doing the work for me. What we have spoken about is tearing out the motor, transmission and wiring harness from the Touring and then putting the M3's wiring into the Touring. The caveat for me is that I want it to remain stock look and feel so we will NOT use the M3 interior, dash or instruments, etc. at all (possibly center console bits but NOT the dashboard odo/tach, etc.) so it would be somewhat odd in retrofitting a non-M set of gauges into an M wiring harness... but that's why I will be a checkbook owner on this project.

I would rather get all the good options at this point since so much will go into it I will hang onto the M Touring for a long time. Are there even differences in the Automatic harness that may make a difference? I think ideally I should look for that "unicorn" RWD, Manual gearbox 325iT and then pick up any old M3 of the same or similar production run.

I am leaning towards 2004 at this point but don't know any better.

My Cars
    2002 325it
    I was thinking of a M3 swap but now I been looking at a LS swap
    2002 E46 325it

My Cars
    '14 E350, e36, 2002
    Bringing this back up from a while ago... Is the rear end, including subframe and suspension mount points the same?

Can I pull an entire rear end out of an m3 and bolt it directly into a touring? (After having reinforced the subframe mount points properly)

My Cars
    325iT 330i
    This is way out of bounds but since this thread is sort of wandering to all things wagon anyway: 540iguy - I have a white '04 325iT 5sp sport suspension, original 17" wheels, white with perfect black leather, non-electric sport seats (lighter), completely stock other than the slotted rotors and stainless shielded brake lines. It also seems to be lowered about 3/8" but I don't see how it was done. It is 3/8" lower than the wife's '04 330i. Clean straight body other than the paint on the rear bumper that someone scuffed and touch-up painted just below the black plastic strip.

The problem is that it burns oil like crazy and has already plugged its catalysts once. I feel like a jerk trading it in and passing this problem to an unsuspecting buyer, but if someone wanted a project car to put a 330 or M3 or other engine in..... Have tried all the usual oil consumption fixes. Within the next week I will make a decision - trade it in, buy a junkyard engine, or hone and re-ring this engine (165k miles).

My Cars
    335d, 328xd (had 330xi)
    Bringing this back up from a while ago... Is the rear end, including subframe and suspension mount points the same?

Can I pull an entire rear end out of an m3 and bolt it directly into a touring? (After having reinforced the subframe mount points properly)
    Have you check realoem.com? ISTR they're different, but maybe I'm thinking 5-series.

My Cars
    2005 325iT
    My concern is the sport package which I do not believe was available on the automatics?? (Would love clarification)
    Old thread, but I have an 05 iT w/ slushbox and Sport Package, FWIW.

R
    Rob

My Cars
    E36 M3, E39 M5, C4S, 8V.

Old question and I suppose that you found your answer already, but it is yes...it's the same. You can even take the floor out of the touring (because it has the spare tire well) and weld in the flat M3 floor to eliminate the spare wheel well, thus enabling you to run the OE M3 rear exhaust.

In fact there is a great thread about a project that has gone through the entire E46 M3 rear conversion on a touring by 330ZHP.
    http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...195&highlight=

There is also an M3 drivetrain and rear end, sans motor for sale from a good guy here
    http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...postcount=3336

My Cars
    2002 325i-3 sportwagon
    Hey guys! Is anybody still alive in this thread??? I have the unicorn Wagon(2002 325i-3 6SP) and need some answers !!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12