Thread: E65 aftermarket backup camera - NEED HELP

My Cars
    2006 BMW 750i

E65 aftermarket backup camera - NEED HELP

i am having issues installing an aftermarket camera on my E65.
    i am connecting it to a monitor on the dash (not the nav screen).
    my problem is with the 12v power to the camera. when i connect it to the reverse light bulb wire the image flickers and no steady image.
    when i connect it to a regular 12v in the trunk (trunk light bulb or any other 12v) i get steady image and no issue.
    does anybody know what may be the problem?

My Cars
    '06 760i
    Sounds like you may not be getting enough current. If you use a relay you could switch it with the reverse lights then have it on its own higher power circuit. I'm not sure which actual wires to use to do that as far as color or anything, but it shouldn't be too bad to figure out. Good luck!

My Cars
    2006 BMW 750i
    Quote Originally Posted by Carguy34 View Post
    Sounds like you may not be getting enough current. If you use a relay you could switch it with the reverse lights then have it on its own higher power circuit. I'm not sure which actual wires to use to do that as far as color or anything, but it shouldn't be too bad to figure out. Good luck!
    thanks, i will give it a try and report the results once i do.
    i verified the wires that go to the reverse light bulb so that should be all i need (12v and ground for the light bulb, 12v and ground for the camera). not sure which one goes where on the relay contacts but i will try to google it.

My Cars
    2006 BMW 750i
    ok finally got it. i bought an automotive relay at Radio shack and used it to switch the 12v from the reverse light bulb 12v to a steady 12v.
    works like a charm.
    cost me $40 for the ca,era and monitor and two days of work but it is definitely worth it

My Cars
    '06 760i
    Glad it worked out!

My Cars
    2003 BMW &45Li
    What kind of aftermarket monitor did you buy? Whats the color code for negative and positive wires for backup camera?