Thread: e39 M5 Steering Wheel in M Coupe Question/Issues

My Cars
    S54 e36/8

e39 M5 Steering Wheel in M Coupe Question/Issues

Ok, so I have the steering wheel out of my e39 M5 and I want to install it in my M Coupe. Issue is two fold.

1. the shape of the back of the wheel is different
    2. the z3 slip ring won't fit the M5 wheel.

Pictures:

M Coupe wheel with slip ring. Notice the flat portions of the interior of the slip ring.

M Coupe wheel with slip ring removed. Again, notice the flat surfaces and where the hole is for the airbag wires to pass through.

Back of the M5 wheel. Notice no flat edge, no holes to mount the slip ring, and a different location of the hole for the airbag wires to pass through.

Wheels side by side.

M Coupe wheel close up.

M5 wheel close up.

There are threads about this mod on this forum. People have done it. My question is how? Is there a mythical slip ring out there that I need?

I also found these posts on how to machine and modify the wheel.

Shows where to make the modifications so the z3 slip ring will fit the m5 wheel

Shows some more details about this machining process
    http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/591886

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    I thought they were e46/M3 wheels on the Z3, not e39/M5?
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    S54 e36/8
    The early e39 M5 wheel looks exactly like our wheel from the front, it just adds the stereo and cruise control buttons. I've noted the differences on the back of the wheel above.

The later e39 M5 wheel is the same as the e46 m3 wheel...it's the same part number, and both have the same back as the e39 wheel i posted above.

The difference is, the z3 slip ring attaches to the back of the wheel, whereas the e46 and e39 slip ring both attach to the steering column.

Just curious what the few guys on here that have done this had to do. It looks like a machining job to me...

Here is an old post from Ron Stygar on bimmer fest

E39/E46 wheel slip ring is in the column. The Z3 slip ring is on the back of the wheel.
    You have to machine the back of the E46 wheel to accommodate the slip ring
    and the Z3. You have to deal with slip ring wiring as well.
    To add the switches you are one wire short.

My Cars
    99shu,77 911, 85 e24
    are there differences in the wheel when the airbags are duel or single stage?

My Cars
    S54 e36/8
    Pretty sure the airbags are identical...am i missing something?

Either way, they are the same shape, so I can put the z3 one in the M5 wheel to make sure everything is kosher...
    Last edited by fmcfad01; 02-10-2013 at 12:28 AM.

My Cars
    S54 e36/8
    Can I bump this? I'd really like to know if there is just some special slip ring I can use to make this work. Alternatively, I'm about to bust out my dremmel.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Coupe
    The square slot wheel is for a dual stage airbag. The triangle shape slot is for a single stage. Early e39s had the single stage, so you can find a slipring for those that will work.
    1999 M Coupe

My Cars
    Coupes...
    I have machined my share of steering wheels, and from what I can tell the E39 M5 pancake wheel and the M Coupe pancake wheel are identical in every way except the center casting. So why not just move the wiring and buttons to the M Coupe wheel? Is the M5 wheel in much better condition or something? Why do you want to use it? No one wants these pancake wheels anymore, so its cheaper to just buy another m coupe wheel than to machine your M5 wheel.

That being said, you can machine it. You will need to make a jig and put it on a mill and that will cost more than buying brand new M Coupe wheels from BMW.

The airbags are not necessarily the same unless they have the same connectors. You can however adapt the connectors from a single stage to a dual stage plug.

If its an absolute imperative that you use that specific wheel, I can machine it for you.

Option 1: You send it to me, I get to it in the next 6 months. You only pay shipping.

Option 2: You send it to me, I get to it this weekend, you pay me $1000.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tommy1394 View Post
    The square slot wheel is for a dual stage airbag. The triangle shape slot is for a single stage. Early e39s had the single stage, so you can find a slipring for those that will work.
    Not really. The early E39 wheels look just like ours on the back. The later ones do not. I am using an early E39/E38 slip ring on my car because it has more pins.
    Last edited by mpire; 05-06-2013 at 10:58 AM.
    White is Right, Steel Grey is OK, but Estoril is the only color that truly matters.

I like Coupes.

My Cars
    S54 e36/8
    Just to be clear, we're saying my M5 wheel needs to be machined and there is no magical slip ring out there that will adapt it to the requirements of our steering column?

The reason for my interest is i upgraded my m5 wheel to the newer thicker style and have the old one laying around. It's identical to the m coupe wheel visually except it's thicker and it mounts differently. Want to know if there is a simple solution to pop some magic slip ring on and use it or if machining is an option.

I've tried messaging VAC Motorsports a few times as I've toured their facility and i know they have the capability to do something like this, but their unresponsive as usual. They always seem to busy to reply to emails...it's disappointing.

My Cars
    M3, MZ3, 348TS, Chevelle
    It is possible to take the buttons/guts from the M5 wheel, install onto the MZ wheel, and then take the M5 slip ring coil tape out of the M5 cassette, and re-coil it into the MZ cassette?

BMW M3 - Ferrari 348 - Chevrolet Chevelle

My Cars
    1999 Z3 MC, 2000 540it
    If your only goal is to have a thicker wheel, why not do the kit from Redline Goods???.
    If you want steering mounted controls, then that's a different story.

My Cars
    Coupes...
    If he has the different wheel, the slip ring is completely different and he can't use it.

You can always machine the M5 wheel, and use your old Z3 slip ring.

Or you can buy an older E38/E39 slip ring for $150 and use that if you want to try to make the buttons work.

Otherwise, its going to be much easier, faster, and cheaper to have someone recover the wheel and make it thicker with nicer leather.

If you were going to put the new style wheel into the car like you did on the M5 then I guess the work is justified, but otherwise I think you are just making more work than its worth.

- - - Updated - - -

Edit: He has the Stage 2 airbag since its from an S54.

The M5 is also a dual stage airbag I assume since its the updated hub.

Be super careful not to explode the airbag if you wire it wrong.

The dual stage airbag needs 5 wires in the slip ring, where the old single stage only needed 3.

Its confusing, but you can get 8 wires out of the old E38 slip ring.

The stock Z3 ring only has 5 wires.
    White is Right, Steel Grey is OK, but Estoril is the only color that truly matters.

I like Coupes.

My Cars
    1997 528i e39
    Reviving this thread because I have a question. I'm about to swap a 3 spoke m tech single stage into my e39 with a single stage 4 spoke. Since they are both single stage, will my slip ring be the same?

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by djnvs View Post
    Reviving this thread because I have a question. I'm about to swap a 3 spoke m tech single stage into my e39 with a single stage 4 spoke. Since they are both single stage, will my slip ring be the same?
    Not necessarily; look up the part numbers for both the slip-rings and see if they're the same (based on their original application, obviously).

A month or so ago, I put a nice Euro 3-spoke wheel in place of a 4-spoke (both single stage) and had to not only use a different slip ring, but also swap ot the turn signal/wiper switch mounting bracket (about a $7.00 part).

My Cars
    Audi B8.5 S4
    Quote Originally Posted by djnvs View Post
    The folks in the E39 sub-forum should know more about this...

My Cars
    2002 Z3 M Coupe, 2005 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by mpire View Post
    If its an absolute imperative that you use that specific wheel, I can machine it for you.

I may have stumbled across this thread a little too late.

Is this still available if "someone" inadvertently acquired a reupholstered M5 wheel and their stock Z3 slip ring doesn't fit?