Thread: MAF my issue?

My Cars
    95 740i 03 330i

MAF my issue?

I have a 03 330 with 187k on the clock. The car starts up fine and drives normal. But once I shut it off and try to restart while the car is still warm it will start right up but dies as soon as you hit the gas pedal. But if you try it a few times it will start running normal.
    I have no codes or cel but I did have one a few weeks ago reading too lean. So is this just a maf that needs replacing? If so where is the best to pick one up at?

My Cars
    1999 E39 540i Sport
    Before running out and purcahsing a new MAF sensor I suggest you carefully check your lower intake hoses fro breaks, rips, tares and possible connection issues...
    V/R Zachary Pullins Sr.
    Florida Suncoast Chapter BMWCCA
    2016 Cadillac SRX & 1999 E39 540i/Sport
    " Vision without resources is just hallucination"

My Cars
    95 740i 03 330i
    Is there anything I can spray or put on there to help check for leaks? I don't hear anything nor do I see anything.
    Like I said before it puzzles me because it only acts up once the car has been shut off and restarted.

My Cars
    1997 and 1999 BMW 528i
    Hard starting when hot can also be caused by leaking injectors.

My Cars
    325iT 330i
    Checking for leaks in the intake tubing or "air path" is done visually. Checking for vacuum leaks on the other side of the throttle butterfly is done with a flammable spray or a can of propane.

Your problem does not sound like a vacuum leak. Your problem does not really sound like an air path leak either, though you most likely have an air path leak. On an '03, the rubber hood on your throttle body is almost certainly cracked and leaking by now, which will make your throttle body dirty and cause other problems.

The problem you describe, however, sounds like your water temperature sensor (the one that talks to the fuel injection system) is failing You have about three water temperature sensors. The one you want should be in driver side of the head (I think). Probably tough to get at.

Another possibility is the intake air temperature sensor. I think in an '03 that was in the bottom of the intake manifold like it is on an e36, but I am not at all sure about that.
    Last edited by Manolito; 02-09-2013 at 12:48 AM.

My Cars
    95 740i 03 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by Manolito View Post
    Checking for leaks in the intake tubing or "air path" is done visually. Checking for vacuum leaks on the other side of the throttle butterfly is done with a flammable spray or a can of propane.

Your problem does not sound like a vacuum leak. Your problem does not really sound like an air path leak either, though you most likely have an air path leak. On an '03, the rubber hood on your throttle body is almost certainly cracked and leaking by now, which will make your throttle body dirty and cause other problems.

The problem you describe, however, sounds like your water temperature sensor (the one that talks to the fuel injection system) is failing You have about three water temperature sensors. The one you want should be in driver side of the head (I think). Probably tough to get at.

Another possibility is the intake air temperature sensor. I think in an '03 that was in the bottom of the intake manifold like it is on an e36, but I am not at all sure about that.
    Very helpful info. I will look into this.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Disconnect the MAF to see if the MAF is kaput. If no change you're MAF is ok. I don't think you have an air leak as the car runs fine. Okay, let me qualify that: You probably have a few very minor air leaks, however that is not the cause of this problem. It sounds like it is a fuel related problem.

My Cars
    95 740i 03 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
    Disconnect the MAF to see if the MAF is kaput. If no change you're MAF is ok. I don't think you have an air leak as the car runs fine. Okay, let me qualify that: You probably have a few very minor air leaks, however that is not the cause of this problem. It sounds like it is a fuel related problem.
    Now comes to think of it, it may be fuel related. I did let my brother use the car when I first got it about 7 months ago. He put regular 87 octane in it and returned it to me. I had maybe just over 1/4 gas when it did react the way it does now. It did stall but started right back up. I just felt it had no power when I gave it throttle. Parked the car and the next day it was fine after I found out what he had done.