Thread: BMW Approved Coolants

My Cars
    1992 BMW 735iL

BMW Approved Coolants

Hey everyone I'm wondering if anybody knows some specific BMW approved coolants. I have peak long life 50-50 and I'm wondering if it's safe to put my 92' 735iL.

My Cars
    too many, see sig
    There's only 1 that you should be putting in your car: BMW OEM blue.

Seriously.

If you do the math, a gallon of BMW blue is about $23-25 from most dealers.
    It's undiluted, which means add another gallon of distilled or deionized water for a buck or two and you're getting 8 gallons of OEM coolant for $24-27, which is $12-13.50 per gallon. What's your gallon of Peak 50/50 cost? $10-12?

Is saving (at most) a fiver worth it?

It's not for me.
    My Current Cars:
    E70
    2010 X5 4.8i Xdrive Spacegrau
    E90
    2008 M3 6MT Silverstone II
    E34 1992 M5 3.6 J-spec Calypso
    E34 1990 535/5 turbo Bronzit
    E32 1990 750iL Highline Delphin
    E30 1988 325i M54 swapped Schwartz Convertible

No longer with me:
    E46 2001 330Ci Titanium Silver

E32 1993 740iL Lazurblau
    E34 1992 525iT Kashmirbeige
    E34 1990 535/5 Cirrusblau - Former Miller Performance Stage 2 Test Mule Car
    E34 1989 525i Cirrusblau - the Slug

E21 1981 320i w/ M20 swap Arktisblau
    E21 1979 320i Turmalingrun

My Cars
    733i
    I thought it was applicable to use Zerex G-05 peach colored.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    in case you want other products, Prestone extended life or Zerex G-05
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1306179

I use BASF Glysantin G48

The officially approved product for your vehicle is:
    Glysantin® G48® http://www.glysantin.com/

BASF says:

If the vehicle is six years old or older, you need to change the coolant every three to four years
    The coolant should always be changed completely after repairs have been done and the cooling system should be flushed out and cleaned.
    Never use coolants alone in their concentrated form. You must always dilute coolants such as Glysantin®.
    Use clean water.
    Always take care to ensure that coolants are diluted in the correct proportions.
    Never mix different types of coolant.
    Always follow the instructions of the motor manufacturer.

The coolants used in passenger vehicles need to be changed every three to four years, depending on the type of product. This is important, because the additives contained in the coolant gradually break down. Glysantin® still prevents the cooling water from freezing, but it can no longer be fully ensured that the customized additives will still be able to protect the cooling system from corrosion.
    It is important to completely drain all of the old cooling water. The best results are obtained if the cooling system is flushed with water before the new coolant is poured in. Please note that cooling water may not be discharged into the drains. It is important to ensure that the coolant is approved by the manufacturer of the vehicle.

Glysantin® always needs to be diluted. Best with demineralized or distilled water. Also tap water is can mostly be used if it is not harder than 3.5 mmol/l. If your water quality is unclear or your tap water very hard we recommend to always use demineralized or distilled water.
    We would always recommend diluting Glysantin® 50:50 with water when you change the coolant and we would recommend using standard Glysantin® products to ensure optimum protection from corrosion, overheating and frost. Make sure that you dilute the coolant correctly: the concentration of Glysantin® should not be less than 33 % and not more than 60 %.

is important to make a distinction between coolants that contain silicates and those that are free of silicates. Different types of products should never be mixed with each other, because this impairs the effectiveness of the additive packages. In the worst case, lasting damage can be done to the engine.
    -------------------------------
    And that is from BMW TIS

Approved anti-freezing and anti-corrosive agents
    With the protection of the environment in mind, BMW has been filling all of its vehicles with nitrite- and amino-free
    anti-freezing and anti-corrosive agents since mid-1986 as standard practice.
    The use of anti-freezing and anti-corrosive agents that contain nitrites and amines is no longer permissible.
    Trade name BMW part number Container size
    BMW Antifreeze 81 22 9 407 454 1.5-litre can
    BMW Antifreeze 81 22 9 407 455 60-litre barrel
    BMW Antifreeze 81 22 9 407 456 205-litre barrel
    BMW Antifreeze 81 22 9 407 755 Tanker (truck)
    Trade name Manufacturer/Supplier
    Addinol Antifreeze Super Addinol Lube Oil GmbH
    Aral Antifreeze Extra Aral AG
    AVIA Antifreeze APN AVIA Mineralöl AG
    BMW Antifreeze BMW AG
    BP anti-frost X 2270A BP Schmierstoff GmbH, Hamburg
    Caltex CX Engine Coolant Caltex
    Castrol ANIT-FREEZE NF Castrol International
    Fridex G48 Velvena s.a.
    Glacelf Plus Total
    GlycoShell Shell International
    Glyco Star Bremin Mineralöl GmbH & Co.
    Glysantin G48-24 Engine Coolant UNICO Ltd.
    Glysantin Protect Plus / G48 BASF
    GUSOFROST LV 505 Chemische Industrielle Gesellschaft
    Mobil Frostschutz 600 Mobil Schmierstoff GmbH
    Havoline AFC (BD04) ChevronTexaco/Arteco
    Mobil Frostschutz 600 ExxonMobil
    OMV Kühlerfrostschutz OMV AG
    Total Thermofreeze Plus Total

1.0 Requirements concerning engine coolant
    Pure water is unsuitable as a coolant not just because of the lack of protection against freezing-up. Good functioning of the cooling system is only guaranteed once a suitable anti-freezing and anti-corrosive agent, or antifreeze for short, has been added.
    The cooling system of BMW vehicles must only be filled with the anti-freezing and anti-corrosive agents approved for this purpose. The filling and maintenance instructions to be found in the Repair Instructions and operating
    instructions must be observed. Antifreeze agents must meet the following requirements:
    - They must guarantee operability of the cooling system in winter (anti-freezing protection by lowering the freezing point) and in summer (prevent boiling and boiling over of the coolant).
    - They must protect metal components that come into contact with the coolant (grey cast iron, steel, aluminium alloy, brass, copper and solder) against corrosion and cavitation.
    - They must be neutral with respect to rubber and plastic parts in the coolant circuit.
    - They must guarantee the consistency of the above-mentioned quality criteria.
    To create these coolant properties, the anti-freezing and anti-corrosive agents must be mixed to the correct ratio with water.
    Prescribed mixture for coolant:
    - 50 % antifreeze for anti-freezing protection down to -38 °C
    The original coolant mixture poured into the cooling system at the factory has this antifreeze-to-water ratio.
    If the proportion of antifreeze is less than 40 % (i.e. the water content is higher than 60 %), not only the degree of protection against freezing, but also protection against corrosion is reduced. When the water content is too high, this can lead to premature overheating in very hot weather or hot climates and as a consequence lead to coolant being ejected out of the system and damage to the engine through overheating. This means that it is essential that an anti-freezing and anti-corrosive agent is added even in the tropics. Too high a concentration, more than 55 %, leads to deterioration of the cooling properties (heat transfer) and protection against freezing-up is modified in the opposite direction, i.e. it also deteriorates. The amounts of antifreeze required for providing protection against freezing-up are stated as percentage figures on the containers. However, it is not only necessary to comply with the mixture ratio specified; the minimum requirements for the quality of the water must also be adhered to:
    • Appearance: colourless, clear
    • Sediment, without suspended matter
    • pH value: 6.5-8.0
    • Total hardness, max.: 20° dH (German hardness grade) or in new measuring unit:
    • Total hardness, max.: 3.6 mmol Ca 2+/ ltr.
    • Chloride content: max. 100 mg/ltr.
    • Sulphate content: max. 100 mg/ltr.
    Potable tap water usually fulfils these requirements. Local water utilities can provide information about the quality of the water they supply. If necessary, the water must be treated (e.g. softened) or distilled water must be used.
    The quality of regenerated sea water (as found in the Gulf states) is inadequate! SBS

4.0 Coolant additives
    BMW does not approve the use of coolant additives that e.g. provide additional protection against corrosion or are aimed at sealing hairline cracks.
    Due to the poorer transfer of heat from the cylinder head to the coolant, this can lead to heat accumulation and hot spots , which in turn can lead to cylinder head gaskets burning through and cracking of the cylinder head .
    We cannot provide warranty for any consequences and effects the use of such additives may have.

2.0 Change interval, changing and testing coolant, disposal, cleaning the cooling system Change interval, changing and testing coolant
    Regular checks of the coolant composition as part of Inspection I and II. As the anti-corrosion characteristics of the coolant decrease with time, the change interval of 4 years (3 years for M-Power vehicles) must be observed. The antifreeze concentration in the coolant must be checked each year before the cold season begins. The composition of the coolant must also be checked after the coolant level has been topped up. An areometer or densimeter (antifreeze tester) is required for setting and checking the concentration. It is permissible to mix various brands of the approved agents.
    Ongoing technical development means that the coolant does not need to be changed on the vehicles listed below.
    - E65 from 09/2003
    - E60, all models since market introduction
    - E85 since market introduction
    - Vehicles with Service interval indicator (SIA) with petrol engines from 03/2003
    - Vehicles with Service interval indicator (SIA) with diesel engines from 09/2003
    - M vehicles from 09/2003
    Disposal
    The instructions laid down in the safety data sheets published by the manufacturers of anti-freezing and anticorrosive agents and the statutory regulations of the individual countries must be complied with.
    Cleaning the cooling system
    If the cooling system is soiled, e.g. by oil residue etc., it may be necessary to clean the system with a suitable cleaner. SBS
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1990 735I (E32) M30
    I've been using a 50/50 mix of this for 23 years. South Florida and never a problem.

Last edited by CroughtonE32; 12-13-2016 at 12:59 PM.

My Cars
    E34 540i/6 E30 323i 2d.
    BMW OEM Blue is manufactured by Ferdinand Bilstein. You can buy directly FEBI Nr 01089, which is exactly the same and it's about 50% cheaper at the same time, as the bottle comes without BMW stickers :]

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    BASF is the OEM manufacturer of G-48 coolant for BMW.Even the Mobil coolant contains BASF
    http://www.mobil.com/Australia-Engli...ady_Mixed.aspx
    Glysantin® G48® by BASF is approved by:
    Audi/Seat/Skoda/VW (vehicles built up until 1996) TL 774-C, Porsche (vehicles built up until 1995), Rolls-Royce (vehicles built as from 1998), BMW N 600 69.0, MAN 324 NF, Mercedes-Benz specification 325.0, MTU MTL 5048, Opel/Vauxhall (vehicles built up until 2000) B 040 0240, Saab 690 1599

FEBI 01089 is not mentioned in the above official BMW release documents.
    But of course you can use it, but even on the FEBI website they do not mention that it is approved by BMW, only: febi 01089 is proven in practice and has been tested in units with fill specifications MAN 324, MB 325.0 and GM 1825 M.
    http://www.febi.com/fileadmin/user_u...B_internet.pdf
    the BMW p/n is only mentioned as reference number:
    febi no. 01089 (1 litre) febi no. 22268 (5 litres) febi no. 22270 (20 litres) febi no. 05011 (60 litres) febi no. 31276 (210 litres) e.g. repl. no. 81 22 9 407 454

and replacement number does not mean approved by BMW, see also the same for the replacement for Pentosin, there they say:
    febi no. 06161 (1 litre) e.g. repl. no. 81 22 9 407 758

Edit: I would like to add that I assume that for getting a BMW approval the coolant makers probably have to pay for testing at BMW (my assumption), so not all what is not mentioned, is then automatically bad, it is just not approved.
    Here a list from BMW from 2010:
    3.0 Approved anti-freezing and anti-corrosive agents
    With the protection of the environment in mind, BMW has been filling all of its vehicles with nitrite- and amino-free anti-freezing and anti-corrosive agents since mid-1986 as standard practice. The use of anti-freezing and anti-corrosive agents that contain nitrites and amines is no longer permissible.
    Trade name BMW part number Container size
    BMW Antifreeze 81 22 9 407 454 1.5-litre can
    BMW Antifreeze 81 22 9 407 455 60-litre barrel
    BMW Antifreeze 81 22 9 407 456 205-litre barrel
    BMW Antifreeze 81 22 9 407 755 Tanker (truck)
    Trade name Manufacturer/Supplier
    Addinol Antifreeze Super Addinol Lube Oil GmbH
    Aral Antifreeze Extra Aral AG
    AVIA Antifreeze APN AVIA Mineralöl AG
    BMW Antifreeze BMW AG
    BP anti-frost X 2270A BP Schmierstoff GmbH, Hamburg
    Caltex CX Engine Coolant Caltex
    Castrol ANIT-FREEZE NF Castrol International
    Fridex G48 Velvena s.a.
    Glacelf Plus Total
    GlycoShell Shell International
    Glyco Star Bremin Mineralöl GmbH & Co.
    Glysantin G48-24 Engine Coolant UNICO Ltd.
    Glysantin Protect Plus / G48 BASF
    GUSOFROST LV 505 Chemische Industrielle Gesellschaft
    Mobil Frostschutz 600 Mobil Schmierstoff GmbH
    Havoline AFC (BD04) ChevronTexaco/Arteco
    Mobil Frostschutz 600 ExxonMobil
    OMV Kühlerfrostschutz OMV AG
    Status 09/05
    SBS 3.0 Approved anti-freezing and anti-corrosive agents BMW AG - TIS 13.07.2010
    Last edited by shogun; 02-15-2013 at 08:14 AM.

My Cars
    too many, see sig
    My guess is that (like many car manufacturers) BMW just sources their coolant from various manufacturers depending on where in the world they are - they just supply the formula/specifications.
    My Current Cars:
    E70
    2010 X5 4.8i Xdrive Spacegrau
    E90
    2008 M3 6MT Silverstone II
    E34 1992 M5 3.6 J-spec Calypso
    E34 1990 535/5 turbo Bronzit
    E32 1990 750iL Highline Delphin
    E30 1988 325i M54 swapped Schwartz Convertible

No longer with me:
    E46 2001 330Ci Titanium Silver

E32 1993 740iL Lazurblau
    E34 1992 525iT Kashmirbeige
    E34 1990 535/5 Cirrusblau - Former Miller Performance Stage 2 Test Mule Car
    E34 1989 525i Cirrusblau - the Slug

E21 1981 320i w/ M20 swap Arktisblau
    E21 1979 320i Turmalingrun

My Cars
    '93 740il '84 633Csi
    I'm putting my 84 633csi back on the road after dead storage for 3 years. Just put in a new water pump. So -
    Where is the block drain location?
    What is the cooling system capacity - how much 50/50 antifreeze will I need?

The cooling system had rusty stuff in it from lack of frequent antifreeze changes (my bad). Has any one used a "fast flush" such as made by Prestone or Gunk> Since it is highly basic (ph over 7) to clean out the rust, how do your successfully neutralize it if the instruction only says flush with water.

Ken
    1984 633csi in bronzit/beige adn 160,000miles

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    google for citric acid coolant flush
    Mercedes Benz even just officially recommends citric acid powder, here a nice instruction for the W124 model
    http://www.w124performance.com/docs/...t_tank_124.pdf

plug location see engine block
    http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E2...browse/engine/

Cooling capacity I do not know. Do you have an owners manual, should be in there?

Some info on service/repair manuals http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...al-Information

My Cars
    E30
    So what would happen if you out a random brand of 50/50 coolant in?

My Cars
    1992 750il / 1991 560 SE
    No coolant will harm the car in the short term. But cheap coolants do not have the best aluminum protection, if any. They also will not help in the plastics department. Given the prices, as mentioned above, there is no reason to use an inferior product. I use G-05 in my cars. It has good aluminum corrosion prevention as well as plastic part protection.

But even more important is to NEVER mix tap water with coolant. I have seen some REALLY nasty engines where people used tap water. Most tap water contains minerals that will coat the cooling system. The worst cases were those that had a coolant leak and just kept adding tap water.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Antifreeze facts and basics
    Most driver’s understanding of the function of coolant is limited to expecting the coolant to not freeze in the winter or overheat in summer.That’s it. febi explains what the real requirements are.
    In truth, the requirements on coolant for stateof-the-art engines are extremely high. Modern engines are becoming lighter in weight, more compact and more efficient. The end result is an engine that is running hotter.
    Protection from frost and overheating
    Almost every antifreeze (concentrate) is made up of around 90% glycol and 10% additives and inhibitors that affect the antifreeze’s properties. Car coolants are a mixture of water and antifreeze. The ideal mixing ratio is 1:1, achieving frost protection down to -36º Celsius. The maximum possible frost protection of approximately -52º C is achieved by mixing ratio of 2:1 (antifreeze: water).

Warning: Never use pure undiluted antifreeze, as it will freeze at -16º C and dissipates heat poorly. Water has a thermal conductivity that is approximately 4 times higher than glycol. More water in the mixture results in better cooling. Pure antifreeze reduces the efficiency of cooling by around 50% when compared to a 1:1 mixture. In addition to lowering the freezing temperature, glycol also increases the boiling point, which protects the engine against overheating. With a 1:1 mixture, the coolant’s boiling point is around 107º C.
    Lubrication
    Antifreeze has lubricating properties, enabling the coolant to lubricate components in the cooling system (e.g. water pump, thermostat, heating valves). This is particularly important for the water pump’s mechanical shaft seal, which would wear out after a short time without antifreeze.
    Protection from corrosion
    The inhibitors in the antifreeze also protects against corrosion and cavitation, as well as preventing deposits and foaming. Silicate is an additive with excellent corrosion prevention properties. If the mixing ratio of antifreeze to water is calculated wrongly, the level of protective inhibitors in the coolant may be too low. It can lead to corrosion throughout the entire cooling system. In this case, rust, lime scale or dirt may destroy the surfaces of the mechanical shaft seal. As a result, the sealing of the water pump bearing is no longer guaranteed. Tip: It is advisable to clean and flush the cooling system when replacing the coolant. Do not re-use the coolant that is drained off. Also remember that coolant is a hazardous waste.

Silicate
    Silicate is now an indispensable additive, given the increasing requirements in respect of material compatibility, corrosion protection, extended service intervals and the use of lighter weight materials in vehicle construction. However, the proportion in newer antifreeze has been reduced compared to older antifreezes with blue and yellow colouring. Nevertheless, some manufacturers (e.g. BMW and Mercedes-Benz) are still using antifreeze with a higher proportion of silicate. Of the antifreezes available from febi Bilstein, there are three that no longer differ in colour compared to their predecessors. The three antifreezes containing purple dye, making them visually identical, have monoethylene glycol (MEG) as their base, but have differences in the amounts of additives (see table below). The antifreeze in its current version now consists of approximately 70% glycol, 20% glycerol and 10% additives. Glycerol has similar properties to glycol, but is more environmentally compatible and less energy is consumed by comparison during its manufacturing. Corrosion protection and material compatibility have been further enhanced by new additives.

Mixability
    Generally speaking, pay attention to the colour of antifreeze and always use the same colour in the vehicle. In spite of this, almost all febi antifreezes can be mixed. The only exception is febi red antifreeze (febi 01381) that must never be mixed with blue (febi 01089) or yellow (febi 02374) antifreeze.
    Service Intervals
    Over time, some of the inhibitors are used up and no longer function as intended. As a result, the coolant looses frost and corrosion protection, as well as lubricating effects and thermal conductivity. Foaming and deposits may also occur. A coolant’s shelf life depends on its quality and the cleanliness of the entire cooling system. Wear is particularly intensive if a leak occurs, or exhaust gasses get into the cooling system (e.g. due to a faulty head gasket). It is therefore advisable to check the coolant regularly and replace it if necessary. Tip: It is imperative to follow the manufacturer’s instructions regarding specifications, service intervals, mixability and mixing ratios. The full range of febi antifreezes and cooling system part scan be found at
    www.febi-parts.com

Part No.... Colour.... VAG Guide.... Silicate share, mg/l.... Glycerol share, %.. Comment
    01089........ Blue............ G11........... 500 - 680........................ 0..........................
    02374........ Yellow.......... G11........... 500 - 680........................0...................... .....
    01381.......... Red............ G12................ 0.............................0................... .........
    19400......... Purple......... G12+.............. 0............................ 0............ Replaced in G12++ (febi 37400)
    37400......... Purple......... G12++....... 400 - 500...................... 0............ Replaced in G13 (febi 38200)
    38200.......... Purple........ G13........... 400 - 500..................... 20.......................... Current design

from November 2014 AUTOBIZ Tech Tips

My Cars
    93 & 94 740iL
    I use Pentosin Pentofrost... Will need to see which type when I get home, comes in a white bottle.
    Current Collection:
    1993 740iL - daily driver; 1994 740iL - project #1; 1994 740i - project #2
    1991 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon - beast of burden & tool/parts hauler

My Cars
    98 740i 01 330Ci MKII TD
    BMW now has a newer part number for the same coolant - which ECS has for around $20/gallon. The new part number is 82 14 1 467 704 for the gallon or 82 14 2 209 769 for the liter (about $8 from ECS). I bought the gallon size since it's cheaper than any of the gallons at my local auto parts store and is the correct fluid.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by peteWine; 11-08-2017 at 12:43 PM.

My Cars
    e34 540ia/e32 740il
    I only used the BMW blue coolant religiously for years, but now I use the Prestone concentrated diluted 50/50 with distilled water. Honestly the BMW coolant seems to be way harsher on the aluminum and plastic. It leaves crazy amounts of residue and deposits compared to the Prestone. Not sure if that really means anything, but I flush the coolant completely every ~18 months and I have never had any issues using it.

My Cars
    are slow
    Quote Originally Posted by m60power View Post
    I only used the BMW blue coolant religiously for years, but now I use the Prestone concentrated diluted 50/50 with distilled water. Honestly the BMW coolant seems to be way harsher on the aluminum and plastic. It leaves crazy amounts of residue and deposits compared to the Prestone. Not sure if that really means anything, but I flush the coolant completely every ~18 months and I have never had any issues using it.
    I use whatever's cheap enough. I found Zerex G05 for sale and the bottle looked cool, so it's half mixed in my system with good old prestone.

I also mix oils because different packaging is cool.
    Last edited by XAlt; 11-10-2017 at 08:48 PM.

My Cars
    01 325i, 05 330ci, 07 X3
    Been using Xerex for years. Works just as good if not better. Easy to find and costs less. You do not need BMW labeled anything as long as it meets specs. It's a car people.

My Cars
    1991 BMW 535i E34
    I used the OEM Pre-Mixed Euro 1 in my 1991 535i e34 BMW. Works fine.
    I would only recommend If you're not using the BMW Blue, don't self mix from concentrate.
    Last edited by Jesse535i; 01-08-2019 at 09:49 AM.

My Cars
    E28, E32, E39, E53, E90
    I'm using the blue BMW coolant, also at the end of the video there is a peek at my ''new'' 735iL

link: https://youtu.be/d8o-OZ6QVHY