Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally, direct replacement cup holder that works

My Cars
    BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoso View Post
    OriginEquipment,

Good idea going after something that bothers the hell out of most E36 M3 owners. What are the dimensions of the new cup holder (diameter and depth)? I'm curious as to whether a large Dunkin Donuts ice coffee or my morning commute covered coffee mug can fit in there...
    Thanks.

I'll grab you the dimensions shortly. I'll also throw up a few pictures with several cups in it tonight (I'll even run by a DD for you and grab a large iced coffee cup).

- - - Updated - - -

Merely a cell phone picture and my car is in pieces, so I could not show it installed:

My Cars
    1998 M3 Coupe - RIP

My Cars
    1998 e36 M3 Cabrio
    It's about damn time someone came out with this. I made my own by removing the cup holder, cutting the bottom off and then JB Welding the bottom of a thick plastic cup to it that I painted black. Works like a charm albeit a bit ghetto looking when you pull it out of the console, lol.

My Cars
    BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by JMillerUA6 View Post
    It's about damn time someone came out with this. I made my own by removing the cup holder, cutting the bottom off and then JB Welding the bottom of a thick plastic cup to it that I painted black. Works like a charm albeit a bit ghetto looking when you pull it out of the console, lol.
    Thanks. Good to see someone frustrated enough with the issue to solve it themselves.

My Cars
    1998 M3 Coupe - RIP

My Cars
    BMW M3
    Going out with today's order shipment. Thanks!

My Cars
    95 m3
    this works on a 95 m3 right?

My Cars
    BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by c0rehax View Post
    this works on a 95 m3 right?
    From the factory, it only work's with 96+ E36s with the modular center console seen here (#16; ~$20). Though, I believe any E36 with an armrest can retro fit this part.

Last edited by OriginEquipment; 03-26-2013 at 06:01 PM.

My Cars
    1998 M3/2
    This is pretty funny, because when I was going to school for my MechE degree I wanted to make something like this as one of my projects and my professor said it was a dumb idea. Wish I hadn't listened to him, good work.
    M50 * Bilstein PSS9 * UUC Sway's * PFlex LCABs/RTABs * TMS Delrin/Alum Diff Bushings * X-Brace * Stoptech SS Brake lines * CDV delete * DEPO with 55W 5000K HID's * 35W 5000K HID fogs
    Stock dyno: 201.7rwhp SAE corrected

My Cars
    1997 M3 Sedan
    I tried to make my own a while back as well. came out OK, but not as nice as this. I might have to pick some up! :-)
    1997 Arctic Silver/Mulberry M3/4/5.
    Pics: http://www.ebaudio.com/MyPics/index.php?path=M3

My Cars
    BMW M3
    Wow. I'm surprised at how many people tried to homebrew a similar concept. Glad to see people were as frustrated with the factory part as we were.

My Cars
    EE05063 97 Alpine Sedan
    What the heck kind of cup was the original cup holder meant to hold? It doesn't actually fit anything I have found yet. Did they sell the car with a proprietary BMW cup that only fits in the cup holder?
    My M3 is 1 of 2

My Cars
    BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by indianajames View Post
    What the heck kind of cup was the original cup holder meant to hold? It doesn't actually fit anything I have found yet. Did they sell the car with a proprietary BMW cup that only fits in the cup holder?
    No to mention they were made to break after 15,000 miles.

My Cars
    EE05063 97 Alpine Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by OriginEquipment View Post
    No to mention they were made to break after 15,000 miles.
    I have the original in my car from 1997. It sucks still.
    My M3 is 1 of 2

My Cars
    1999 M3 Coupe
    Oh man, this is so awesome!

Do you guys plan on building any other products?

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupe
    Whenever I get something too big for the stock cupholder (eg. everything), I just pop out the cupholder and jam the item in the space. Fits cans, coffees, fountain drinks quite well. Plus spilly drops just end up in the never to be seen area under the console.

My Cars
    BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by MMFA View Post
    Oh man, this is so awesome!

Do you guys plan on building any other products?
    We have a few other items in the works.

My Cars
    1996 M3
    Oh snap, this is sick. Are you guys gonna be like, an interior specialty shop or just small things all over the car?

I'll be ordering one soon.

My Cars
    '95 M3, '17 Civic Si
    Quote Originally Posted by 95m3Lightweight View Post
    Now if they only made something that fit my E39, don't like any of the aftermarket solutions.
    dude, my E38 cup holders are only marginally than your E39's ones.......I share your pain
    -Rich-

My Cars
    E46 '03 M3 & E36 '95 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by OriginEquipment View Post
    From the factory, it only work's with 96+ E36s with the modular center console seen here (#16; ~$20). Though, I believe any E36 with an armrest can retro fit this part.

Origin, I ended up ordering part# 16 for my '95 M3. As soon as that comes in and I feel confident it works with my current console (part# 1), I will order your cupholder.

1995 M3
    2003 M3

My Cars
    '95 M3, '17 Civic Si
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinwilly View Post
    http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E36-M3-...nsole/ES87804/

In regards to this one....

This is a little piece of info that not many people know, I have found.

So there are THREE e36 cup holders. The one posted above, which came in OBD1 coupes and sedans, the one with the modular sections that the OP is selling a replacement for, which came in the OBD2 coupes and sedans.

And then the third one, which is the best one. It came on the 318ti and I believe the Z3.

it looks almost identical to the OBD1 cup holder, and uses the same accessory ring to make a taller, skinny hole.... but it's MUCH deeper. It can hold the 32oz cups with the tapered bottoms super snug, and 12oz cans fit in there perfectly without even using the ring to make it taller. WITH the ring it is over half covered.

It doesn't quite fit directly into one of the coupe/sedan consoles, though. And I haven't tried it with the arm rest down (ti's never had arm rests), but it looks like it should fit fine. It just has and angled taper on the front, so that needs to be cut off and then filled in. Not sure on the length... I haven't driven my car regularly in almost a year, so I never had time to finish installing it.

Anyways, here's some pictures comparing the three styles with cans in them. I grabbed a couple from a junkyard when I was there about a year ago.

This all started when my wife got her ti and I was like "why do you get cup holders that WORK?"

great post!

-Rich-

My Cars
    BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by MCXL View Post
    Oh snap, this is sick. Are you guys gonna be like, an interior specialty shop or just small things all over the car?

I'll be ordering one soon.
    We'll be doing little things all over the car (think performance next). We are obviously a very small shop and most of us have other day jobs, so this is mostly doing things we like on the side where the design is fun and inspirational, the product is needed in the market, and manufacturing and distribution can be simplified.

Quote Originally Posted by vertius View Post
    Origin, I ended up ordering part# 16 for my '95 M3. As soon as that comes in and I feel confident it works with my current console (part# 1), I will order your cupholder.
    Great. I got a quote from my dealer and I think we are going to start to stock a few of #16 for retrofits such as yours.

This thread is exactly what I was looking for!

My Cars
    1996 M3
    If you made a spacer for E36 Steering wheels for tall people (like a 2-4 inch extender piece) I would buy that, and I think anyone over 6 feet or so would be interested as well .

My Cars
    BMW M3
    Orders shipped. Thanks all!

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast