Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314

Thread: Finally, direct replacement cup holder that works

My Cars
    '11 1M, '13 Tacoma
    All orders should ship within a week of ordering. Please email me if your tracking info is not updating.

"We are the music makers...and we are the dreamers of dreams."

My Cars
    '94 325i, '99 m3/2/5
    Quote Originally Posted by zookie View Post
    Got a spare ready to ship out- forgot the other e36 has the older (non-modular) center console. Any takers for $25? Great product, install wasn't bad at all and it really looks factory.
    Still got this. Great product, someone put it to use.

I'll sell it for $15 shipped if you respond to this thread with a review with pictures, preferably including install!! Might help some people visualize how this works

My Cars
    1997 E36 M3, 2008 E90 M3
    I only installed one, but would love another for 15 shipped...

I posted a review a couple of posts up! =0]

My Cars
    '94 325i, '99 m3/2/5
    Quote Originally Posted by zookie View Post

Still got this. Great product, someone put it to use.

I'll sell it for $15 shipped if you respond to this thread with a review with pictures, preferably including install!! Might help some people visualize how this works

Vincentshumai is the winner- so he owes us a review in a couple weeks!

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325is Coupe

getting there, just need to move the cut slots forward a bit. This is proof you can install these modular brackets and these cup holders into <95 e36 that only has an ash tray + big cubby.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    E70d
    Damn, these work really well. Just finished installing -- an hour of dremeling to ensure a perfect fit and that was about it.

When cutting out the holes, I found no downside to going significantly wider than the marks I made.

My Cars
    m3
    I see the seller hasn't posted here for about 18 months.

I ordered a pair a couple weeks ago, got an order confirmation (automatic reply I suppose), but no reply to emails.

Anyone have better news before I ask Paypal for a refund?

My Cars
    ∞FX37,M3a/4,94 332
    I do not know him, but seemed like a good guy to deal with the few times I did contact him. Put a post up in the southeast region/ Georgia if any of the local guys know him.

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Convertible
    Are these available for sale?
    please contact me

Quote Originally Posted by ///M3///M5 View Post
    Can't post pictures on the OE account yet, but here are a few prototype photos. I will have a blog post up soon on the development of the part:

Last edited by 5254444; 10-20-2017 at 03:25 AM.

My Cars
    '98 M3 Alpine White
    C'mon, somebody must have a 3D printable unit by now!!!!
    See ya later,

tony
    '98 M3, '92 Dinan3, '05 R1100S BCR, '07 R1200S, Aprilia T

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3/4/5
    I need these! Why aren't these still available?!?!? :-(

My Cars
    m3
    After I tried to order these last year and found they were no longer available, I did my own. Took an entire weekend, but it was worth it.

You need a dremel tool and hacksaw to mod the parts.

Essentially, you cut the bottom out of the oem cupholder inserts, and cut additional clearance in the console to make room for real-size cups and cans.

I also modified the coinholder to become a phone holder. Works with my iphone 7, but wouldn't fit a larger phone. I used a 3m part for the phone holder, but it is very fragile acrylic, and also doesn't seem to be available now.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I added round tubes inside the cupholder section to provide a finished appearance, but it was very hard to find something exactly the right size. I used an inside section of some plastic travel mugs that also don't seem to be available now. I also added 1/4" rubber pads at the bottom. But you don't really need those for function- just cut off the cupholder inserts and dremel clearance and you will have cupholders instead of cup-ejectors.

I also made room for an old-school ipod under the ashtray. A longer ipod touch wouldn't fit here.

I'll post a bunch of pics showing what I did.

5 modify coin holder.jpg4 dremel detail rear.jpg3 dremel detail.jpg2 dremel clearance in console.jpg1 cut cupholder inserts.jpg
    Last edited by centerpunch; 10-23-2017 at 11:35 AM.

My Cars
    m3

My Cars
    m3

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    That is the way it goes with antique cars. You spend a lot of time keeping them functioning and convenient. Hopefully 3D printers are changing this. We just need people to start stamping out one piece console inserts with modern cup and phone holders for $50.

My Cars
    m3
    The difficulty with this mod is that even when the bigger console holders were available, you still had to make several cuts in the console with a dremel to provide clearance to make them fit. I'm sure that eliminated a big part of the potential market.

People want plug-and-play, but it's not possible in this case.

I had the one cup holder trimmed for a while, but it would only fit cups and not any small kanteens or insulated coffee cups without trimming the console. Also, the cup holder would pull out with the cup sometimes, which my dad ending up accidentally throwing the cup holder away.

Found the bottlepro 2 ($17) fit perfectly (non of the expansion rings, only the included tightening sleeve folded in half, also it is sort of oval shaped cause of the cut outs, so just rotate it to make it bind between end of console bracket and coin holder for a pretty tight fit). This was made to fit large hydroflasks, so regular cups are a little loose but still hold nicely without spirited driving. I then added those rubber cup holder inserts (Dorman brand $8). Now it’s fully functional, with option to hold larger items by removing insert.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314