Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Alpina E21 Holy Grail?

My Cars
    E21, E24, E34, E46
    Quote Originally Posted by jrcook320 View Post
    We established it's not a Callaway system. It looks like one at first glance, but that's where the similarity ends. It's more likely a one-off system.
    Calloway was bottom mounted wasn't it? There was a "mass produced" top mount just like this although I cannot remember the brand. The Revell e21 model kit includes this exact system.

My Cars
    E21 320i, e39 540i/6
    There were 2 basic callaway systems for the m10 - 2.0 and 1.8. Both were top mount and likely used the same manifold and turbo, though I have not confirmed this yet. The cast turbo inlet elbow looks like calloway, and the AFM to turbo pipe looks like an early 2.0 pipe, while the charge pipe looks like it could be a 2.0 charge pipe rotated downward. Note that this "Feupina" is using a 2.0 AFM in a later 1.8L chassis/engine, while Callaway never swapped major fuel system components. The callaway system used a Callaway designed "turbofueler", not a cold start injector, for fuel enrichment, along with water injection. There were also upgrades such as pistons, additional gages, and oil coolers. Also look at the compressor housing and CHRA of the "alpina" turbo. It is distinctly different that those used by Callaway.

Early:

Late:

Per JDB, there were also Hardy and Beck turbo systems that were similar to the Callaway system. I have yet to spend any time researching this topic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

'81 320i turbo | t25, 931 CIS, 240hp, 13.92@100mph | 2.2L m10 Turbo Build | My E21 Videos |

My Cars
    79 Alpina B7 Turbo, 80 323i Baur, 79 635csi
    I started to type a long post reminding how Alpina was working on turbo cars during this period, under the direction of Dr. Fritz Indra, the results of which can be seen in the B7Turbo 5 and 6 series.
    To claim that this E21 "development" work was done in the same house is such blatant shite....

So then this E21 turbo project was apparently done in blind parallel with Dr. Indra's M30 project, by an engineer, Kent Goldy, who only exists in internet references the seller has posted (including the screen shot earlier in this thread of someone editing Mr. Goldy's Linkedin homepage). Do some research on Alpina's B7Turbo/M30 development and tell me this story isn't completely incongruous from yet another vantage point.

Damn, I did it again anyway. I should really stop beating this crap to death, but I can't help it - like picking at a scab.
    79 Alpina B7 Turbo Coupe #096
    79 Alpina B7 Turbo Coupe #124
    80 635csi
    80 323i Baur

My Cars
    1981 320i silver
    Apparently Kent Goldy did indeed work for Mahle and managed to get arrested in connection with that employment.

Here is an excerpt of a related court document:

Case Number: 06-CV-10546
    HONORABLE ARTHUR J. TARNOW
    OPINION AND ORDER GRANTING PETITION FOR WRIT OF HABEAS CORPUS
    Petitioner Kent Jay Goldy has filed a petition for a writ of habeas corpus pursuant to 28
    U.S.C. § 2254. Petitioner, who was serving a five-year term of probation at the time he filed his
    petition, challenges two firearms-related convictions on the ground that he received ineffective
    assistance of counsel. The Court finds that Petitioner received ineffective assistance of counsel
    and suffered resulting prejudice because: (i) trial counsel failed to argue for the exclusion of
    damaging impeachment testimony under the relevant Michigan court rule, resulting in Petitioner
    deciding not to testify in his own defense; and (ii) trial counsel failed to object to a jury
    instruction which did not convey the intent necessary for a finding of guilt. Therefore, the Court
    grants the petition.
    I. Background
    Petitioner’s convictions arise from events that occurred on the morning of July 23, 2001,
    in the City of Farmington Hills, Michigan, at Petitioner’s then-employer, Mahle Technologies
    (Mahle). Prior to the morning of July 23, 2001, a representative from Mahle contacted the
    Farmington Hills Police Department because Mahle planned to terminate Petitioner’s
    Goldy v. Tierney, No. 06-10546
    employment and desired police presence when the news was delivered to Petitioner.
    Farmington Hills Police Detective David Loe testified that he responded to Mahle’s
    request for a police presence. Detective Loe arrived at Mahle’s offices on the morning of July
    23, 2001. He joined Petitioner in a conference room and inquired whether Petitioner had any
    weapons on him. Petitioner said he did not, which Detective Loe and his partner confirmed.
    Petitioner stated that he had a gun in his vehicle, because he planned to transport the gun to a
    gun shop for repairs. Detective Loe testified that he received permission to go through
    Petitioner’s vehicle. In the trunk, Detective Loe found a .45 caliber semi-automatic pistol with a
    loaded magazine, but no shell in the chamber.
    Detective Loe testified that he inquired whether Petitioner had any weapons in his home.
    Petitioner replied that he did. Petitioner gave Detective Loe permission to search his home.
    Detective Loe found a “Tech .22" pistol in Petitioner’s home and a device fastened to the barrel,
    which Detective Loe characterized as a silencer. Petitioner informed Detective Loe that it was a
    barrel extender, not a silencer.
    Alfred Houde testified as a firearms expert for the prosecution. He testified that the
    device on the Tech .22 pistol was a silencer, not a barrel extender.

Wow! I started a Level 5 Shitnado on this forum! Great stuff. So much valuable info on E21 Turbos I may try and compile it in some coherent manner.

My Cars
    E39 Touring, E53
    Quote Originally Posted by jrcook320 View Post
    Per JDB, there were also Hardy and Beck turbo systems that were similar to the Callaway system.
    If there is any truth that this car is any kind of "Alpina" car, it might be that H&B used to be known as "Alpina West." Maybe this an Alpina West built car? I've been told that they've built 2.0 turbo cars.
    Last edited by Twelvizm; 04-07-2013 at 05:22 PM.

Bucket

My Cars
    e21, e30 m3. e46 330ci
    in the early eighties mike detiel was the importer for alpina in the west.
    Tom D

77 e21 - m42
    88 e30m3
    04 330 dinan3
    84 r1000rt
    02 r1150rs
    all of them gray
    14 f800gsa - red headed stepchild!

My Cars
    79 Alpina B7 Turbo, 80 323i Baur, 79 635csi
    Wow! Very interesting. At least the fellow does appear to actually exist. I had honestly doubted it.

I, too, thought that the kernel of truth in this whole story was that said engineer/builder had maybe worked at Dietel (my guess, but H&B works, too), and thus started the chain of misinformation.
    79 Alpina B7 Turbo Coupe #096
    79 Alpina B7 Turbo Coupe #124
    80 635csi
    80 323i Baur

My Cars
    E21, E24, E34, E46
    Wow. I can't imagine the type of person who's employer requests police presence to fire him. You have to wonder if that's the kind of person that is honest about a car.

Searching his house as a result of that seems like BS though.

My Cars
    80 320iS
    Guys, as much as I love a good e-dogpile, I think we need to leave Kent Goldy alone.

There isn't any proof that he is trying to sell the car nor is there hard evidence that we are even talking about the same Kent Goldy. For all we know, his name and LinkedIn profile could have been appropriated by an unethical seller -- I'm not saying this happens, only that it could have happened...

Bringing up an arrest record from 12 years ago doesn't seem to me to be fair game... especially since he isn't the one actively trying to sell the car. I admit that I read that part with some salicious interest, but in my ever-so-humble opinion, it really isn't relevant to a car with questionable (at best) provenance being marketed as one of the most desirable E21's in the history of the universe.

If I remember correctly, we were told that Mr Goldy was too busy attending F1 races to be bothered to confirm/deny the stories being told about his old car. Even if we take this at face value, his name shouldn't be dragged through the mud because a Kent Goldy (who may or may not be the same person) had some issues a dozen years ago.

[For what it's worth, I find it very strange that someone with a silencer on a weapon would consent to a search of his house when there was no probable cause. If I was in that position, the only words out of my mouth would be "Get a warrant" but hey, that's just me... Not that I have silencers on my guns though.]

So my $0.02 is that unless Kent Goldy comes here and starts telling us how he ran the Uber-Secret-Turbo-M10-Dvision at Alpina, then the past of his namesakes is off limits. Just my opinion....
    ==========================
    "Somewhere the zebra is dancing."
    ==========================

My Cars
    84 Baur 13 335xi 04 X3
    Click here to join the Baur international community on G+
    https://plus.google.com/u/0/communit...05332828437111

My Cars
    E21 320i, e39 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by 1980 320iS View Post
    Guys, as much as I love a good e-dogpile, I think we need to leave Kent Goldy alone.

There isn't any proof that he is trying to sell the car nor is there hard evidence that we are even talking about the same Kent Goldy. For all we know, his name and LinkedIn profile could have been appropriated by an unethical seller -- I'm not saying this happens, only that it could have happened...

Bringing up an arrest record from 12 years ago doesn't seem to me to be fair game... especially since he isn't the one actively trying to sell the car. I admit that I read that part with some salicious interest, but in my ever-so-humble opinion, it really isn't relevant to a car with questionable (at best) provenance being marketed as one of the most desirable E21's in the history of the universe.

If I remember correctly, we were told that Mr Goldy was too busy attending F1 races to be bothered to confirm/deny the stories being told about his old car. Even if we take this at face value, his name shouldn't be dragged through the mud because a Kent Goldy (who may or may not be the same person) had some issues a dozen years ago.

[For what it's worth, I find it very strange that someone with a silencer on a weapon would consent to a search of his house when there was no probable cause. If I was in that position, the only words out of my mouth would be "Get a warrant" but hey, that's just me... Not that I have silencers on my guns though.]

So my $0.02 is that unless Kent Goldy comes here and starts telling us how he ran the Uber-Secret-Turbo-M10-Dvision at Alpina, then the past of his namesakes is off limits. Just my opinion....
    agreed.

'81 320i turbo | t25, 931 CIS, 240hp, 13.92@100mph | 2.2L m10 Turbo Build | My E21 Videos |

My Cars
    e21, e30 m3. e46 330ci
    furthermore, since this tread has been linked to other websites both here and aboard, I think it would be wise for okieflats and jeanhawk to edit their post. something like this could be construed as slanderous.
    Last edited by Tom D; 04-08-2013 at 08:53 PM.
    Tom D

77 e21 - m42
    88 e30m3
    04 330 dinan3
    84 r1000rt
    02 r1150rs
    all of them gray

My Cars
    1981 320i silver
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom D View Post
    furthermore, since this tread has been linked to other websites both here and aboard, I think it would be wise for okieflats and jeanhawk to edit their post. something like this could be construed as slanderous.
    You are free to believe that if you like, but that is simply ridiculous.

It was claimed that a man of this name worked at Alpina at the time, around 1980. A quick search to try to confirm that turned up no information relative to Alpina, but something related, namely Mahle. Since that is something mentioned by Paul in the proffered resume it is relevant to a degree. It has some use in seeking out the truth, especially with some doubting the very existence of Paul's referenced engineer.

Those who run this forum are free to delete anything and everything that I have ever written, just as the fascists who once ran Germany and Italy were free to kill off anyone not to their liking. So, go ahead and delete it. No, I will not edit it. That is a United States Federal Court document that simply says the conviction for weapons offenses was voided and wiped off the books. It is relevant because it says an engineer of that name worked at Mahle, consistent, I think, with part of what Paul had said.

My Cars
    e21, e30 m3. e46 330ci
    Quote Originally Posted by okieflats View Post
    .......I think.........
    this is your whole problem, you don't know anything, you only think you do. get it right, dragged a man through the mud again and you become the hero, get it wrong and this guy owns you!
    Tom D

77 e21 - m42
    88 e30m3
    04 330 dinan3
    84 r1000rt
    02 r1150rs
    all of them gray

My Cars
    sold 78 BMW 320i
    I believe Tom is making a good point.
    Not because I usually always agree with him, it's mostly because Tom has the ESP too.
    Tbd

My Cars
    1978 323i
    For the record, my previous comment was made to reflect my amusement at the tenacity with which this car has been researched, and the details of the story told in the police report.

- Jay
    1978 323i

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234