Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E21 323i Aluminum Radiator Options?

My Cars
    '76 2002, '86 535i DD

E21 323i Aluminum Radiator Options?

I'm half way through an M20 swap in my 2002, and I will be using a 323i E21 radiator, which is the most commonly used rad.

Does anyone make an aftermarket aluminum radiator for the E21 323i? So far I have not been able to find anything online. I have a feeling I'm going to have to fork out big $$$ and have a radiator custom made locally.

My Cars
    83 S50/320i and '03 745i
    eBay ..... That's where I got mine for the M20

My Cars
    75 2002 77 323irace 91M5
    I bought one from Maximillian Importing for my M20 powered 2002 . I payed
    something like 335.00 for it , kind of expensive but It works good and is
    light. The speedway aluminum universal for a ford could work 22" x 19" but
    you will need to do some more cutting to the car to fit it and it's kind of heavy.

My Cars
    98 318 Ti

Talking Speedway

A little over the top.
    My M30 carb intake

My Cars
    e61
    $600 exact fit custom made from Griffin in NC. They have the pattern on file. My 323 rad was used as the master. Expensive but worth it. Attached pic before polishing. Exact fit.

My Cars
    '79 320/6
    BruceH,
    Do you notice a better cooling capacity with that aluminum rad??
    Inquiring minds want to know....
    I still drive daily with no commute...
    The Hazard is All, Praise the Hazard!

My Cars
    83 S50/320i and '03 745i
    I just ran mine up the hill in a 110 Deg weather and she didnt pass half mark!! Love my alum rad dual core!

Maybe I should've lowered it a bit, but FYI, I had to notch my hood a bit due to the hump....

This rad was basically under $130 shipped, here is the link if ya interested??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/88-91-BMW-E3...2ebff7&vxp=mtr

Quote Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
    $600 exact fit custom made from Griffin in NC. They have the pattern on file. My 323 rad was used as the master. Expensive but worth it. Attached pic before polishing. Exact fit.

Ok...I like your temp switch....do you remember wjat it is and where you got it??? Let me know please? Personally I drove my car in some pretty good heat and didnt need the electronic fan yet, but you never know?

Thnx for any info
    Last edited by lasvegascop; 08-13-2012 at 03:40 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    e61
    Quote Originally Posted by midlifebmw View Post
    BruceH,
    Do you notice a better cooling capacity with that aluminum rad??
    Inquiring minds want to know....
    Absolutely. I wanted a triple core and then engineers at Griffen talked me out of it. They used a single row of very broad but thin elliptical tube. Their argument was that you get better air flow thru the rad this way, no stalling air.

The temp switch is from Hayden. You set the on point, soft start. Nice unit.

My Cars
    '79 320/6
    Quote Originally Posted by lasvegascop View Post
    I just ran mine up the hill in a 110 Deg weather and she didnt pass half mark!! Love my alum rad dual core!

Maybe I should've lowered it a bit, but FYI, I had to notch my hood a bit due to the hump....

Thnx for any info
    Looks like you have to do some hose hijinks to get the lower hose back over to the other side...
    I still drive daily with no commute...
    The Hazard is All, Praise the Hazard!

My Cars
    '71 2002, 1989 325i(sold) 1983 Alpina B6 2.8
    Bumping the thread for two reasons:
    A: I want to thank Bruce for your post about the Griffin radiator. I remember years ago reading a thread in which you had mentioned a custom built direct fit radiator from what I thought was Griffin but now that I am in the process of a M20 swap I couldnt remember for sure and Griffin does not list it on their sight.
    B: Where in the world can I find the radiator hoses??? I would like silicone hoses but right now I would settle for OEM. Is a dealer part from RealOEM and a wait from the fatherland the only option or is there anything stateside?

My Cars
    1983 320i + 2014 M235i
    $600 exact fit custom made from Griffin in NC. They have the pattern on file. My 323 rad was used as the master. Expensive but worth it.
    Griffin Thermal Products
    Piedmont, SC
    http://www.griffinrad.com/index.cfm

They are located on the southwest edge of Greenville, SC - very close to the BMW Manufacturing plant.

My Cars
    e61
    Griffin is fairly small, they have the engineering drawings under my name. Still happy with the product. Good people.

My Cars
    Griffin is fairly small, they have the engineering drawings under my name. Still happy with the product. Good people.
    So I just recieved a email back from Griffin on my inquiry. He says they dont have anything. Not sure if he even read my email or just looked at the car make and model I put in the email. I didnt drop your name but I did say that someone had one made and the drawings should be on file. :-( Took 4 days to come back with that.

My Cars
    e61
    Quote Originally Posted by vtbimmer View Post
    So I just recieved a email back from Griffin on my inquiry. He says they dont have anything. Not sure if he even read my email or just looked at the car make and model I put in the email. I didnt drop your name but I did say that someone had one made and the drawings should be on file. :-( Took 4 days to come back with that.
    Contact Patrick at pdurham@griffinrad.com . He was my contact. Drop my name as the file is under Herstowski.

My Cars
    Contact Patrick at pdurham@griffinrad.com . He was my contact. Drop my name as the file is under Herstowski.
    I will try that. Thanks a million!

My Cars
    Well I have had no luck. Patrick says they have nothing on file under your name for that radiator. They keep telling me to send mine in so they can make one. Well thats great and all except I DONT HAVE ONE!!! This is getting frustrating. I really dont want to cut anything on my car to make a universal one fit and I dont see the point of spending $350 on a stock 323 radiator. Any chance you have your old one laying around that I might be able to pay you to send to them or something?

My Cars
    e61
    Well I have had no luck. Patrick says they have nothing on file under your name for that radiator. They keep telling me to send mine in so they can make one. Well thats great and all except I DONT HAVE ONE!!! This is getting frustrating. I really dont want to cut anything on my car to make a universal one fit and I dont see the point of spending $350 on a stock 323 radiator. Any chance you have your old one laying around that I might be able to pay you to send to them or something?
    No, my old radiator was good and given to another member. I'll call Patrick and ask WTF? I'm really disappointed in their handling of this as I know of other owners who plan to use their services. I'll also dig out the invoice for their work as might have some info.
    Last edited by BruceH; 04-02-2013 at 07:36 AM.

My Cars
    No, my old radiator was good and given to another member. I'll call Patrick and ask WTF? I'm really disappointed in their handling of this as I know of other owners who plan to use their services. I'll also dig out the invoice for their work as might have some info.
    Thank you. Yeah, I have had this radiator in the back of my mind for several years. I was always happy to know you went with Griffin and had the rad fabbed up already, paving the way for easier builds for the next guys. This is not what I was expecting :-(

My Cars
    83 320is,'85 745, 98 528
    For what it's worth Griffin has a 4 cylinder drop in replacement on file too. I went the same route as Bruce, took them my radiator for a pattern and had a custom unit made. It has worked flawlessly with my 2.2 warmed over motor.

The folks at Griffin are easy to work with.

Cliffs: Griffin Radiator now has both 4 cyl and 6 cyl radiators on file.

-Shawn

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by sully32 View Post
    For what it's worth Griffin has a 4 cylinder drop in replacement on file too. I went the same route as Bruce, took them my radiator for a pattern and had a custom unit made. It has worked flawlessly with my 2.2 warmed over motor.

The folks at Griffin are easy to work with.

Cliffs: Griffin Radiator now has both 4 cyl and 6 cyl radiators on file.

-Shawn
    Hey Shawn! Hope things are well.

Well thats interesting. You say they have a 6cyl on file and so does Bruce, but I have been shot down by two people at Griffin so far. My problem is I dont have a 323 radiator to send them or even access to one to get all of the measurments.

My Cars
    e61
    Hey Shawn! Hope things are well.

Well thats interesting. You say they have a 6cyl on file and so does Bruce, but I have been shot down by two people at Griffin so far. My problem is I dont have a 323 radiator to send them or even access to one to get all of the measurments.
    I'm on the East Coast this week w/o access to my receipts but they made manufacturing drawings of the new rad for the build.

My Cars
    '81 323i, '87 325
    This is the same radiator I used in mine, I had a local TIG welder cut the cups off of the bottom & relocate the outlet to the other side, so I didn't need to make a dent in the underside of my hood and I could use OEM 323i hoses. Even after I paid for the modifications, it's still way less than a $600 radiator and works awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by lasvegascop View Post

This rad was basically under $130 shipped, here is the link if ya interested??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/88-91-BMW-E3...2ebff7&vxp=mtr

Ok...I like your temp switch....do you remember wjat it is and where you got it??? Let me know please? Personally I drove my car in some pretty good heat and didnt need the electronic fan yet, but you never know?

Thnx for any info
    e21: 1981 2.5L sleeper
    e21: 1982 323i Baur TC 1 # 4210
    e21: 1980 323i project or parts car, can't decide
    e21: track car project
    e46: 325XiT

click here for the latest updates

My Cars
    E21 323 2-E28, 1-M6, E92
    I have one of these radiators Jesse used, It is nice but it will not fit my car as well as his did.
    That sucked cuse when I saw Jesse's car I thought that was the cats meow and very reasonable

I will sell it for $60.00 plus shipping. The bottom mounts are cut off and the top factory mount has been removed.

Brent I have the form with all the dimensions for the 323 radiator filled out to FAX to Griffin as I am trying to get a quote from them.
    I will send this in and let you know what happens.
    I did get a quote from Ron Davis...$800.00 plus shipping, they have the design but the top vent hose is cheesy as it is just a bent alum. tube without the nice bump in the top tank like the factory and Bruces tanks are.

Jeff
    Last edited by JDB; 04-04-2013 at 08:29 PM.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by JDB View Post
    I have one of these radiators Jesse used, It is nice but it will not fit my car as well as his did.
    That sucked cuse when I saw Jesse's car I thought that was the cats meow and very reasonable

I will sell it for $60.00 plus shipping. The bottom mounts are cut off and the top factory mount has been removed.

Brent I have the form with all the dimensions for the 323 radiator filled out to FAX to Griffin as I am trying to get a quote from them.
    I will send this in and let you know what happens.
    I did get a quote from Ron Davis...$800.00 plus shipping, they have the design but the top vent hose is cheesy as it is just a bent alum. tube without the nice bump in the top tank like the factory and Bruces tanks are.

Jeff
    Good to know, thank you. I am in less of a hurry as of today since I found out my head is no good. My simple swap just turned into a build....

My Cars
    '81 323i, 97 540i
    Ron Davis Radiators has a drawing and builds a great radiator. I bought one in '09 - just before Bimmerfest. No hood notching neccessary...
    100_4109.jpg
    100_4113.jpg
    100_4115.jpg

Blair
    Eugene, Oregon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast