Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Ragnorak's 8000+ RPM 318ti Build Thread

My Cars
    2007 328xi; 1995 318ti
    You might check out this post as well for information on how others have done the engine management.
    http://318ti.org/forum/showthread.ph...&highlight=s54

My Cars
    X5/5MT || Z4MC
    Quote Originally Posted by Commie View Post
    I like how this is coming along, keep up the good work!

- - - Updated - - -

I like how this is coming along, keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by stealthbeam View Post
    lookin snassy!! I look forward to this one, keep up the good work!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Nomile View Post
    You might check out this post as well for information on how others have done the engine management.
    http://318ti.org/forum/showthread.ph...&highlight=s54
    Thanks man. I had this all figured out from wiring diagrams a while ago and there are a few discrepancies between those instructions and the 318ti wiring.
    Past Builds:
    S54 E36 Compact Build|Thread|IG|@_goldfinger|

Current Fleet:
    Z4 M Coupe - Black Sapphire Metallic over Black

My Cars
    95 m3, 3L S4
    Im having a hard time between three swaps (euros50b32,S54,S65) or just turboing it to keep up with todays cars.
    "Lamborghini, the tractor maker, wanted to figure out why his Ferrari's clutch kept crapping out (PITA, cost a lot of money). He complained to Ferrari, and Enzo didn't do anything. Lamborghini discovered it was the same, much cheaper clutch used in his tractors. The rest is history..."

My Cars
    X5/5MT || Z4MC
    Quote Originally Posted by 600whp S4 View Post
    Im having a hard time between three swaps (euros50b32,S54,S65) or just turboing it to keep up with todays cars.
    I guess that's more of a call of what your goal for the car is. If you're just trying to be faster than everyone else, turbo allows you to hit those lofty power goals. To me, the NA swaps have a bit more character and soul to them given BMW's history. Most of the turbo builds are really directed more towards a number (power goal) whereas these swap cars are typically built as an experience and for the love of the car.
    Past Builds:

Current Fleet:

My Cars
    s50 swapped 318i, e30ix
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnorak View Post
    I guess that's more of a call of what your goal for the car is. If you're just trying to be faster than everyone else, turbo allows you to hit those lofty power goals. To me, the NA swaps have a bit more character and soul to them given BMW's history. Most of the turbo builds are really directed more towards a number (power goal) whereas these swap cars are typically built as an experience and for the love of the car.
    +1 bmw has always been about NA power. It would feel wrong to put a turbo in my car. I'd rather buy cams and headers than put that same money towards a turbo.

Engine swaps like yours are the ultimate upgrade and stay true to BMW history.
    ​ CLICK BELOW TO FIND OUT MORE ABOUT MY BUSINESS AND HOBBY.

My Cars
    1991 330iS
    This is wicked awesome! Subscribed

Avusblau 1994 Euro M3 --> Journal Here
    Lagunagrün 1991 331iS-->Journal Here

My Cars
    3xxti
    any updates

House OF The swapped Compacts !!!! Mzk2built
    98active 318ti s54 cf airbox alpha-n-tune by RK Tunes 325rwhp 257rwtq
    98 Cali edition 318ti completely stock daily (FOR SALE)
    95 318ti active w/winter package long time drag project awaiting S/C s54 swa

My Cars
    1998 318ti
    Is it wrong if i this thread has aroused me?

I wish i had endless source of income, I want to swap out my M44 on my ti. Poor little girl is all stock. #allshownogo

My Cars
    X5/5MT || Z4MC
    #5. Getting. It. In....

Thread resurrection! Not to worry, this isn't yet another BFc build thread that disappeared off the face of the web. I haven't been bringing the camera to the garage much since it was time to get dirty. I spent a lot of time over the last month doing prep on the car and engine along with selling off what's left of the parts I have in my garage. I still have a lot more to get rid off, but at least I can move around now!

I wanted to wrap up the brakes and suspension so that I can move the car around should I have to. Went to Rogue Engineering (literally 5 minutes from where I work) and they made me some very nice custom brake lines on the spot:

Since the Z3M rear calipers have the hydraulic lines come in perpendicular to the caliper, we used banjo bolts to keep the line tight to the brakes to not interfere with the strut. I transferred the original 318ti hardlines that run along the trailing arms to the upgraded Z3M arms. These lines worked perfectly and have roughly 9" of stainless line between the fitting clamps (for reference). Both fittings were M10.

Moved to the front of the car after picking up a Brembo BBK from BFc member twinscrewed, who also lives conveniently close. He cut me an excellent deal on the Porsche 996 calipers (four-piston), slotted E46 M3 rotors, Rally Road adapter brackets, stainless lines, and Hawk pads. Took a little bit to bolt up because the tolerances are so tight on the brackets, but ended up working well. I'll eventually pull the calipers and powdercoat, but I want to get the car running before adding the pretty.

I was getting tired of waiting on S54 tools in order to address the vanos bolts and figured it would be something I could get to after the car is mobile. On Sunday, I put a full day in at the garage and finally got the motor mounted up!

This was honestly pretty easy to get in the car, but I did have to cut out the old 318 power steering reservoir bracket along the driver's side frame rail. The motor uses the OE E36 M3 motor mounts along with the E36 M3 exhaust-side engine arm. On the driver's side, I opted for a Z3M S54 engine arm since it has the additional mounting point for the intake support bracket.

I also ended up squaring away the rest of the front suspension with new control arms, tie rods, Z3M steering rack, and new lock nuts all around. The brake hydraulic system is now ready to be bled. A lot of progress in one day, which I'm pretty happy about.

On a side note, I also found some pictures of the car from the original Craigslist ad. She's come a long way since. Almost all of the hardware that has come off the car was thrown in a bin and replaced with new bolts or locking nuts. No sense in skimping at this point and I'd rather not have to chase any rusted or corroded bolts after all this work.

Past Builds:

Current Fleet:

My Cars
    s50 swapped 318i, e30ix
    This is going to brake so nicely . What size wheels are you going to go with to clear the bbk?

My Cars
    X5/5MT || Z4MC
    Quote Originally Posted by adambuelow View Post
    Is it wrong if i this thread has aroused me?

I wish i had endless source of income, I want to swap out my M44 on my ti. Poor little girl is all stock. #allshownogo
    Hah, I too wish I had an endless source of income. A lot of these parts were not purchased. I either traded for them or sold off parts in my garage. I also got the Z3M rear dropout from a parts car. If you're creative, this project doesn't need to cost that much. As of right now, I'm still in this for far less than the cost of a VF supercharger kit.

Quote Originally Posted by 200kclub View Post
    This is going to brake so nicely . What size wheels are you going to go with to clear the bbk?
    I hope so! These brakes are sized so that 17" wheels will clear the caliper. There's an optional bracket set that you can run in order to use 345 mm CSL floating rotors if you so desire that will require 18" wheels. However, I'll need spacers depending on the wheel design so that the spokes don't hit the much wider calipers.
    Past Builds:

Current Fleet:

My Cars
    hybrid
    My car spins 245 PS2's right now, 80 degree's with the 3.91 from 30-45mph. It also only makes 306 rwhp with my satanic exhaust merge robbing away power. It weighs something around 3400 with me in it.

Make sure you do the exhaust right. This could make or break 20hp, seriously. Use a LARGE custom merge piece (like from SPD or Burns) if you are doing a single, or stick to what's OEM like if you are staying dual and are on a budget.

I wouldn't go with the 4.10. That would be so short in 1st-3rd. The only reason I haven't gone to a 3.73 is how good the 3.91 is on road courses. My car will be a full time track car soon. As far as straight line speed with 17' wheels and the 3.91 it's actually quicker for me to launch in 2nd gear from a dig, that's how short it is in the first two gears. I'm usually in 4th gear by 35 mph if i'm trying to save gas.
    Last edited by OnUrleft; 05-08-2013 at 04:30 PM.
    Alpha-N ///M - Youtube

My Cars
    X5/5MT || Z4MC
    Quote Originally Posted by OnUrleft View Post
    My car spins 245 PS2's right now, 80 degree's with the 3.91 from 30-45mph. It also only makes 306 rwhp with my satanic exhaust merge robbing away power. It weighs something around 3400 with me in it.

Make sure you do the exhaust right. This could make or break 20hp, seriously. Use a LARGE custom merge piece (like from SPD or Burns) if you are doing a single, or stick to what's OEM like if you are staying dual and are on a budget.

I wouldn't go with the 4.10. That would be so short in 1st-3rd. The only reason I haven't gone to a 3.73 is how good the 3.91 is on road courses. My car will be a full time track car soon. As far as straight line speed with 17' wheels and the 3.91 it's actually quicker for me to launch in 2nd gear from a dig, that's how short it is in the first two gears. I'm usually in 4th gear by 35 mph if i'm trying to save gas.
    I'm planning on 265s or 275s out back for the car right now and I think the lack of weight in the rear might be an issue if I was trying to drag race the car. However, I'm really out of that phase and built this car to have fun. I've had my M3 for years now and don't pick street races or anything.

I'm with you on the exhaust. After I take measurements, I'm buying a 2-1 collector from Burns and having a shop weld the flanges to the headers and to my 3" AA race exhaust. It really shouldn't cost me too much for that. I didn't really want to go dual because of the weight and flow restrictions. As a side note, why haven't you addressed the exhaust yet? Every post and vid I see about the power level of your car mentions how unhappy you are with the exhaust.

4.10 is already in so we'll see how it goes! I know it'll be short and I wanted it that way. I enjoy rowing a 6-speed and plenty of E46 M3s have upgraded to the 4.10 for the increased acceleration. I'm with you on 2nd gear too, first will be useless unless I'm trying to leave rubber on the ground. Part of the acceleration advantage the car will have is from the aggressive gearing in a light car. If it ends up being a pain, I'll swap out the diff for something else (which will be a pain in the ass).
    Last edited by Ragnorak; 05-08-2013 at 05:28 PM.
    Past Builds:

Current Fleet:

My Cars
    s50 swapped 318i, e30ix
    Hah, I too wish I had an endless source of income. A lot of these parts were not purchased. I either traded for them or sold off parts in my garage. I also got the Z3M rear dropout from a parts car. If you're creative, this project doesn't need to cost that much. As of right now, I'm still in this for far less than the cost of a VF supercharger kit.

I hope so! These brakes are sized so that 17" wheels will clear the caliper. There's an optional bracket set that you can run in order to use 345 mm CSL floating rotors if you so desire that will require 18" wheels. However, I'll need spacers depending on the wheel design so that the spokes don't hit the much wider calipers.
    I say go the sleeper route so people dont try to race you, OP. Square set of 8.5 m3 wheels with 245 rubber, 10 mm spacer up front will clear the calipers. People's jaws will drop when they find out what's really goin' on. Also, couple of bags of quickrete will balance the wheels out. I've seen this done a v-10 e30's. Handling>Acceleration

EDIT: Just realized that you are only in NJ. Hope to see this at bimmerfest.

My Cars
    X5/5MT || Z4MC
    I say go the sleeper route so people dont try to race you, OP. Square set of 8.5 m3 wheels with 245 rubber, 10 mm spacer up front will clear the calipers. People's jaws will drop when they find out what's really goin' on. Also, couple of bags of quickrete will balance the wheels out. I've seen this done a v-10 e30's. Handling>Acceleration

EDIT: Just realized that you are only in NJ. Hope to see this at bimmerfest.
    I wanted to do this for now, only because I'm having a hard time justifying dropping $2.5K for the wheels I want at this point (trying to pay down student loans as fast as possible and save for a house). I did like the way the car looked on DS2s, even if it is pretty plain. However, OE M3 wheels won't clear the front calipers without a serious spacer because of the spoke design. I may go with something with a recent concave or the right spoke design after some test fitting.

I'm not too worried about people racing me around here lol. Even if I wanted to, it's hard to do in north NJ to begin with between cops and busy roads. I grew out of it. I've had randos try to race me in the M3 pretty often, I just ignore them. I've paid the state enough money in HS and college, I don't need any more "scorecards".

The goal is definitely to have the car done by Bimmerfest. I went down with Euro Techniks last year and had a ridiculous time.
    Last edited by Ragnorak; 05-09-2013 at 03:13 PM.
    Past Builds:

Current Fleet:

My Cars
    hybrid
    I'm planning on 265s or 275s out back for the car right now and I think the lack of weight in the rear might be an issue if I was trying to drag race the car. However, I'm really out of that phase and built this car to have fun. I've had my M3 for years now and don't pick street races or anything.
    My point of explaining the cars spins from a straight line roll is so you can imagine the scenario and put it in all situations, not just straight line grip. My car requires a patient foot or lots of counter steer during corner exit at those speeds unless it's on R compounds and their heated up. With a 3.64 or 3.73 it would be easier to extract all the available power earlier, and stay in the power band for a longer time that's all. (On tracks like Little Talladega, Barber, Circuit Grand Bayou and during autocross it can be quite the workout finding traction, dealing with the rev limiter and right throttle input). It's just preference really. My favorite track is Road Atlanta, and i'm always in 3rd and up so that's why I love my 3.91.
    For a fun car this is difficult though. In the mountains there are a lot of 1st-2nd gear corners so I find myself short shifting or keeping off the fun pedal to tame the car on exit
    Here's my car in 2nd exiting a decreasing camber turn at about 40 mph, applying slightly to much gas for the hell of it. A wider gear just tames it with some disadvantage and advantage is all i'm really saying.

Jump to 44 seconds.

Also don't forget it's more about the sidewall and tire type than overall width.

I'm with you on the exhaust. After I take measurements, I'm buying a 2-1 collector from Burns and having a shop weld the flanges to the headers and to my 3" AA race exhaust.
    That will be nice.

My good friend who lives next to me is the only person I knew with a 4.10 in an E46 M3 and even he took it and out and sold it because of his priorities with the car (daily driver) and lack of time to track it (law school, 6th in class). The thing is he had 19" wheels and not 18" or 17" wheels too. It's definitely alllot of shifting.

As a side note, why haven't you addressed the exhaust yet? Every post and vid I see about the power level of your car mentions how unhappy you are with the exhaust.
    I am saving up for Epic Motorsports Stepped headers and Y Pipe so I can try to get to that 330-340rwhp mark. That or the supersprints cost more than most E36 M3 rolling chassis' with 3.5' piping. I'm taking my time saving, spending more money driving the car and doing track stuff vs. improving it
    Last edited by OnUrleft; 05-10-2013 at 04:22 PM.
    Alpha-N ///M - Youtube

My Cars
    s50 swapped 318i, e30ix
    REALY? You don't think that would clear with the spacers and m3 wheels? You could probably get a 15 mm spacer if you go staggered. Hey either way you win. Hope you get to again!

My Cars
    X5/5MT || Z4MC
    Quote Originally Posted by OnUrleft View Post
    My point of explaining the cars spins from a straight line roll is so you can imagine the scenario and put it in all situations, not just straight line grip. My car requires a patient foot or lots of counter steer during corner exit at those speeds unless it's on R compounds and their heated up. With a 3.64 or 3.73 it would be easier to extract all the available power earlier, and stay in the power band for a longer time that's all. (On tracks like Little Talladega, Barber, Circuit Grand Bayou and during autocross it can be quite the workout finding traction, dealing with the rev limiter and right throttle input). It's just preference really. My favorite track is Road Atlanta, and i'm always in 3rd and up so that's why I love my 3.91.
    I am saving up for Epic Motorsports Stepped headers and Y Pipe so I can try to get to that 330-340rwhp mark. That or the supersprints cost more than most E36 M3 rolling chassis' with 3.5' piping. I'm taking my time saving, spending more money driving the car and doing track stuff vs. improving it
    Ok, I definitely understand where you're coming from now. Never noticed how much the car kicked out in that video hah. Luckily this car will be a weekend toy so I don't have to worry about dailying it. I'll definitely have to report back if the gear ratio is too aggressive. If it is, I may simply drop down to a 3.73 or a 3.91 but I really don't want to drop the rear again at this point.

I feel you on the exhaust, hopefully you took that just as a question and not me being critical. Epic has been pushing the 3.5" exhaust but I don't see it on too many street cars. I think it would be really tight fitting that under my semi-trailing arms. 340 RWHP in your car would be absurd. It already sounds amazing.

REALY? You don't think that would clear with the spacers and m3 wheels? You could probably get a 15 mm spacer if you go staggered. Hey either way you win. Hope you get to again!
    True, I'm hoping to get proper offset wheels though. A 15 mm spacer is pushing it to me, but I'll test fit the wheels on a 12 mm spacer soon. I just got in RE studs and they're limited to 12 mm too...so I don't have many options. I just need to do some more research on it and get some of my spare wheels from my friend's storage.
    Past Builds:

Current Fleet:

My Cars
    335ti 360ti x5-6.0tt
    I've been putting around on the 4.10 an make nearly 400tq at 4.5k with 225s right now, the car handles and performs well. I don't know too many cars that you just power through the whole turn, but the semi trailing suspension had been very good to me in the handling department. I'll be heading out to the drag strip next month as well as starting Autox with the 357 and 325ti. Both are 4.10 geared, the ls with a 6 speed though. First gear moves me to about 37ish, second to 67, etc, but even then 225 entry levels are doing well on hard launches at 3k, ~270 or so torque, each gear chirps the tires but it pulls instead of roasting them. I'm putting the 275s back on pretty soon here and I'll let you know how they are.

My Cars
    skateboard
    Good work
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    X5/5MT || Z4MC
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebimma View Post
    I've been putting around on the 4.10 an make nearly 400tq at 4.5k with 225s right now, the car handles and performs well. I don't know too many cars that you just power through the whole turn, but the semi trailing suspension had been very good to me in the handling department. I'll be heading out to the drag strip next month as well as starting Autox with the 357 and 325ti. Both are 4.10 geared, the ls with a 6 speed though. First gear moves me to about 37ish, second to 67, etc, but even then 225 entry levels are doing well on hard launches at 3k, ~270 or so torque, each gear chirps the tires but it pulls instead of roasting them. I'm putting the 275s back on pretty soon here and I'll let you know how they are.
    That'll be some good feedback. Remember though, your 6-speed gear ratios are much different than on the BMW 6-speed. Regardless, the amount of actual torque (not dyno-loaded wtq) to the wheels is significantly more in your 357 so it gives me some confidence that the 318ti will be fine. At this point, it's more of a lightweight S54 MZ3 than a 318ti anyway, just with a bit of a longer wheelbase.
    Past Builds:

Current Fleet:

My Cars
    I guess I missed it, what ems are you running?

My Cars
    X5/5MT || Z4MC
    Quote Originally Posted by patb1 View Post
    I guess I missed it, what ems are you running?
    The original Siemens MSS54.
    Past Builds:

Current Fleet:

My Cars
    Will you be running a/c in it?

My Cars
    X5/5MT || Z4MC
    Quote Originally Posted by patb1 View Post
    Will you be running a/c in it?
    Nope, I don't really use AC much, especially since this will be a second car. The Cali-top will hopefully be enough to keep cool when cruising around on hot days! Plus I don't really want the added weight of the AC system. The car will be a bit nose-heavy as it is.
    Past Builds:

Current Fleet:

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast