Compactive is offline Helpful. BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    3x 318ti
    Subscribed for compact greatness!
    Want a custom signature? Post requests here, or PM me here | My Flickr

My Cars
    Imola Euro Swap
    So much win in this thread... time to whip it out a fap
    Last edited by JCooper; 02-05-2013 at 08:01 PM.

My Cars
    E36 Compact,Coupe,E30

My Cars
    2000/E-39 528IT
    A sleeper for sure.

My Cars
    335ti 360ti x5-6.0tt
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnorak View Post
    I think Tony's V8 build is pretty sick, it just wasn't the direction I wanted to go in. Regardless,

Thanks Vik! I'm sure you'll be one of the first to see it running. Gotta rep ET strong.

Nice, definitely post some up when you get them!

For dear old State!

Thanks for the fitment advice on wheels and tire combos. That's pretty impressive that you still have traction. My M3 with an extra 450 pounds of weight doesn't even have traction in first gear on 245s. Do you have relatively high gearing or something? Or does the suspension design change grip compared to the E36/E46?

That car was pretty clean before it was rolled. I don't know how people drive M3s in Maine outside of the summer months. The roads up by where I picked the car up were pretty iced up and rough.

Thanks!

Ive run 3.25, 3.45, 3.46, 4.10, and 4.44 with my tis and never really had an issue with traction. I choose to run 4.10 with my m50 and the ls6. The car is very tame around town and running it hard doesnt really overrun the tires unless youre really trying to roast them. I ran BFG kdw2 with 245 and 285 out back. The 245, when dropped from 3k with the v8/6 speed barely broke loose, just pulled really hard. The 285s on the other hand, gripped without mercy once heated up. I was able to out launch a supercharged foxbody and pull about 3 cars lengths by 100. The other, most impressive race, was against one of the local snobs in his gt3 turbo. We only ran to ~80ish, but i kept ahead by a half of a car lenth with the fully assembled ls1/6/4.10/285 setup.

This is how it looked that day...Pardon the lack of a hood, i was in a rush and didnt have time to put it back on before work.

My Cars
    2009 BMW 335i E90
    This should be very interesting. Sub'd.

My Cars
    2015 BMW M235i
    Damn!

2015 M235i 6MT

My Cars
    e36
    great transformation journey there ..hope someday i could get an s54 heart for my e36 too

My Cars
    95 M3, 87 535is
    Z3 non-M rack is quicker then the Z3M rack.

Awesome build.

My Cars
    X5/5MT || Z4MC
    Thanks for all the support guys! And nice kills Tony!

So right now I'm looking into headers and exhaust options for the motor. I want to get that all done before it goes in the car so it doesn't turn into a pain in the ass down the road. I refuse to put garbage on the car, so I've been looking towards some Fabspeed headers. It's pretty nice since VAC and Fabspeed are both pretty local to me. From what I've read, fitment seems spot-on. I could go all out with Supersprint V1 Stepped headers, but the juice isn't worth the squeeze to me. I could put that extra $1000+ towards something else.

This build might take a little while, but I'm planning on having it done in the next 3 months. I'm not in too much of a rush since I can't enjoy this car or the M3 much when it's so cold out.
    Past Builds:
    S54 E36 Compact Build|Thread|IG|@_goldfinger|

Current Fleet:
    Z4 M Coupe - Black Sapphire Metallic over Black

My Cars
    98 M3/4/6, 16 M3/6
    very nice project. thanks for sharing.

My Cars
    X5/5MT || Z4MC
    Reinforcements.
    Z3M Rear Finally Dropped.

So, today I trudged out of the foot of snow we got and went up to my garage. One of the last set of parts that I haven't removed from the Z3M was the rear axle/exhaust. Compared to a typical E36, it was a hell of a lot easier. I decided to just drop the entire rear suspension with the diff attached. I'm sure I'll have to learn to drop the diff by itself sometime, and it looks like it sucks with those two top-mount bolts.

The first thing I really noticed was that the rear exhaust sections were unexpectedly heavy. Since I have a nice shipping scale in the garage, I decided to put it to use.

Z3M - Left Muffler Section: 34.60 lbs

Z3M - Right Muffler Section: 35.25 lbs

Thaaaaaaat is a lot of weight for a catback (~70 lbs). I was planning on using the dual cans from the Z3M on the 318ti at first to save some cash on fabrication. Now that's a no-go. Maybe some Z3M guys can use those weights to compare to aftermarket exhausts.

I guess I went a little OCD with it too and started weighing some of the stuff that came out of my 318ti. I'll probably keep a log of weight info in this thread too in the spirit of sharing info and paying a lot of attention to weight reduction.

318ti: REAR SEAT DELETE (not including seatbelts) - 54.1 lbs

318ti: Rear backrests - 33.5 lbs

318ti: Rear bench - 11.8 lbs

318ti: Rear bolsters - 3.6 lbs/pair:

318ti: Rear door panels - 5.2 lbs/pair

Anyway, the goal of the day is complete. The Z3M rear axle all cleaned up. I'll be doing a bushing refresh and a diff swap while the dropout is down. Trying to go for something way more aggressive since I've got the 6 speed box. Right now I'm thinking of a tire-roasting 3.91 or 4.10 out back.

Past Builds:

Current Fleet:

My Cars
    1990 325i
    Interested to see how a 3.91 or 4.10 works for you with the six speed!

My Cars
    Z3M Coupe & Roadster
    Dang, so that's what the Z3 parts were for. I like where this is going.

My Cars
    X5/5MT || Z4MC
    Quote Originally Posted by lambo7 View Post
    Interested to see how a 3.91 or 4.10 works for you with the six speed!
    So am I! A decent amount of E46 guys go with those setups, but this car is a LOT lighter and has less weight in the rear so traction will be an ongoing concern for me as I set up this car.

Quote Originally Posted by jajou318 View Post
    Dang, so that's what the Z3 parts were for. I like where this is going.
    Yep! I had a ton of people asking to buy that rear dropout but I knew I needed it for the 318ti. It's interesting to note that BMW didn't upgrade the brakes when the Z3 went from the S52 to the S54. Not sure if this was an engineering or a financial decision, though.
    Last edited by Ragnorak; 02-10-2013 at 12:43 PM.
    Past Builds:

Current Fleet:

My Cars
    X5/5MT || Z4MC
    Just a minor update, stopped by Rogue Engineering over my lunch break (5 miles from where I work, very nice) and picked up this batch:

• Stainless clutch line
    • Transmission mounts
    • Clutch pedal bushings (god damn squeaking)

They'll do my brake lines too when I get them together. They actually build these on site, which is cool for custom work.
    Past Builds:

Current Fleet:

My Cars
    2009 BMW 335i E90
    why cant this be any faster??

My Cars
    97 M3, 03 WRX
    Can't wait to see the finished product! Will be insane

My Cars
    E36 325is
    Definitely bought my e36 M3 rear bumper from you last spring. Saw the car then and loved it. This is an awesome build. Glad to see more swapped ti's on the road.

My Cars
    335ti 360ti x5-6.0tt
    Granted the ti is lightweight, shorter overall than the other e36s, but there is still a lot of weight in the rear. The rear hatch, for example, is all HEAVY glass, the diff itself adds ~30lbs over the small case, axles are heavier, brakes are MUCH heavier, cali-top is heavy, and they were either 51 or 52 percent heavy from the factory with the 4 cylinder fully equipped. I assume youre removing the spare tire? If not, theres a bit more weight.

From my own experiences, the car handles a bit differently with just the rear diff and axle changeover, not only because of LSD but the weight shifting as well. Its very easy to put the power down, in a straight line, but around a corner, its a bit more difficult but what car isnt.

Dont forget to check your diff sheetmetal hanger tabs for cracks and tears, a good idea to reinforce them if youre using poly for the diff ear and subframe as they stress the body at the particular point.

My solution

Last edited by Bluebimma; 02-11-2013 at 11:52 PM.

My Cars
    X5/5MT || Z4MC
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebimma View Post
    Granted the ti is lightweight, shorter overall than the other e36s, but there is still a lot of weight in the rear....
    Thanks for the insight man.

The whole Z3M dropout will definitely add weight and I'll be putting everything on a scale just to see how much that is. I do believe it's rather necessary, however, seeing the 318ti rear was not designed to see real power. I admit the trailing arms and subframe are more of a nice-ety than a necessity, but they work well with the larger brakes and diff/axles. I'm guessing the weight difference on the diff/axles is somewhere around 30 lbs like you said, and maybe another 15 lbs on calipers/rotors. The cali top actually isn't very heavy, I've pulled it several times. The conventional sunroof assembly is easily double the weight.

I've been looking into diff options and have been talking to my friends with M Coupes. What did you use for sheet metal on it? Something custom or did you just buy the OEM diff mount and weld it in (#4 below)?

My goal is to get the car down to the 26XX lb range once swapped without a driver. Should be interesting. What's your V8 weighing in at right now Tony?

Quote Originally Posted by nunbutgame View Post
    Definitely bought my e36 M3 rear bumper from you last spring. Saw the car then and loved it. This is an awesome build. Glad to see more swapped ti's on the road.
    Thanks man! You were probably there when I was swapping my M3, right?
    Last edited by Ragnorak; 02-13-2013 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Past Builds:

Current Fleet:

My Cars
    '95 M3, '17 Civic Si
    OP is a fool...I like that and I support this

My Cars
    E36
    Just to be sure, I had to google the definition of epic. The results were:

Adj. -
    heroic; majestic; impressively great: 'the epic events of the war.'

of unusually great size or extent: 'a crime wave of epic proportions.'

I'll say this qualifies.

Carry on OP, carry on

My Cars
    335ti 360ti x5-6.0tt
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnorak View Post
    Thanks for the insight man.

The whole Z3M dropout will definitely add weight and I'll be putting everything on a scale just to see how much that is. I do believe it's rather necessary, however, seeing the 318ti rear was not designed to see real power. I admit the trailing arms and subframe are more of a nice-ety than a necessity, but they work well with the larger brakes and diff/axles. I'm guessing the weight difference on the diff/axles is somewhere around 30 lbs like you said, and maybe another 15 lbs on calipers/rotors. The cali top actually isn't very heavy, I've pulled it several times. The conventional sunroof assembly is easily double the weight.

I've been looking into diff options and have been talking to my friends with M Coupes. What did you use for sheet metal on it? Something custom or did you just buy the OEM diff mount and weld it in (#4 below)?

My goal is to get the car down to the 26XX lb range once swapped without a driver. Should be interesting. What's your V8 weighing in at right now Tony?

Thanks man! You were probably there when I was swapping my M3, right?
    Number 4 is the basic weld in reinforcement, but i went in through the actual body and welded in the new supports for the dual ear solution. Most people just double up on the single ear and are fine running it that way.

The LM7 weighed in at 2980, the ls was only 2840, which is nearly dead on stock weight, but i also had subs, two extra batteries, and no a/c installed at the same time. As it sits now, it should only weigh around 2600 since i deleted the sunroof for a carbon fiber roof, removed the rear wiper assembly, moved the battery to the rear and used a 51R battery, removed the ebrake system for an electric ebrake and installed larger, ligther brakes, and a few other pieces.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast