Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Ragnorak's 8000+ RPM 318ti Build Thread

My Cars
    X5/5MT || Z4MC
    Quote Originally Posted by bubela View Post
    I had the time of my life in Germany. My buddy was doing European Delivery on an e92 M3. Plant tour/Welt=Awesome. Next stop was Neuschwanstein castle. Hit Dello Stelvio pass (think: Top Gear). My first track experience was on the Green Hell in the S65. Traveling from town to town on an Autobahn is heaven. Cruising at 130mph in the center lane and an audi passed me in the left lane like I was standing still. I'm getting goose bumps typing. Seriously, plan your vacation now. No matter what it costs, it's worth it.

We'll have to meet up at Atco in the spring. Maybe catch Radowski run an 8 second pass?
    Sounds pretty damn amazing. I've wanted to hit Spain and Germany for some time now, maybe this summer will let me do it! And being in Germany with a Euro Delivery E92 M3 sounds like a solid plan.

Definitely down for some Atco! Keep me posted. How's the ti running?
    Past Builds:
    S54 E36 Compact Build|Thread|IG|@_goldfinger|

Current Fleet:
    Z4 M Coupe - Black Sapphire Metallic over Black

My Cars
    '73 Bavaria
    Wow, quality stuff man. Car looks great.
    “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten” – Benjamin Franklin

My Cars
    mostly bmw
    Will do. My ti is running good. I might have a sticky valve/lifter. It's basically parked for the winter. Trying to get traction in these temps is a joke. I've already crashed it once in the winter. I learned.
    95 turbo 330ti. 01 maxpsi m3 e85. 01 m5. 01 m coupe. 03 AIM 996t e85. 06 x3 w/Meyers plow and winter daily. Prussian Motors is hiring!! prussianmotors.com/jobs
    Current e39t LS Turbo swap: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...LS-e39-Touring

My Cars
    E92 M3, 970TT
    Such a sleeper... love how understated it is on the outside and what a beast it is on the inside. Nice work.
    991 | 964 | G55 | D90 | LX570 |

Past: SC'd e34 540/6, CSL'd E46 M3, E36 M3/4/5, E36 M3 turbo, E36 M3, 335D, Porsche 951, 80 Series LC, Kleeman E55 Wagon, LX470, 970 Panamera TT, E92 M3

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab

No, sadly not importing an e46 compact. Side note: I was in Germany last year and took pictures of almost every one I saw. I was a dork like that. Also drooled over some e36 tourings.
    Luckely so! That is by far the ugliest car in recent BMW history.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiß III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    '91 318i, 98 Wrangler
    what a beaut! good work my man.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, who teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.

1991 318i - 17" BBS RG-R, Toyo proxy 3, 8k HID halo, lowered 2"
    S54 swap and airlift suspension coming soon

My Cars
    X5/5MT || Z4MC
    Will do. My ti is running good. I might have a sticky valve/lifter. It's basically parked for the winter. Trying to get traction in these temps is a joke. I've already crashed it once in the winter. I learned.
    Good news man. I'm only driving the compact out of necessity right now, my beater ti ejected it's water pump haha.

Quote Originally Posted by E34nication View Post
    Such a sleeper... love how understated it is on the outside and what a beast it is on the inside. Nice work.
    I'm definitely enjoying the sleeper aspect of this more and more!

Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    Luckely so! That is by far the ugliest car in recent BMW history.
    Agreed. Has potential though, but whoever though of and then approved that headlight design should be tazed.

Quote Originally Posted by syahrling View Post
    what a beaut! good work my man.
    Thanks man!

A bit of an update, finally got my ass handed to me. I haven't really had the chance to race actually fast cars all summer, but on my drive home the other day a pack of tuned cars flew by me and I decided to play. Included was a:
    • Vintage black muscle car (no idea what it was, was clean though)
    • 370Z
    • Early 5th gen Mustang
    • S2000
    • GTR

I didn't really race any of the other guys but the GTR seemed to want to play. He had a girl in the car and I can tell it had a tune. It shot fire, and it was awesome. I had no passenger but had the seat in the car (usually don't).

I got three pulls against the GTR, and obviously got crushed every time. I finally got a good line-up from 40-140 and he probably put 6-7 cars on me. Not too terrible for what I assume was a 500 WHP tune, but definitely humbling. Those cars look great when driving the way they should be driven!

Guy was really cool, and called out that my hatch had an M3 engine in it. Not sure if he was an enthusiast or not, but it was a decent end to an unexpected night.
    Last edited by Ragnorak; 01-14-2014 at 09:50 AM.
    Past Builds:

Current Fleet:

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Let's not forget the equally bad rear "Altezza" lights!
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiß III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    mostly bmw
    Dude.. I only dream about those days. I'm excited for you while vicariously living your story. Only car I got to play with on the street was a c4 or c5 vette. He wanted another race, but my exit was near.

I think the GTR vs me might make the GTR owner feel sad. Some day...
    95 turbo 330ti. 01 maxpsi m3 e85. 01 m5. 01 m coupe. 03 AIM 996t e85. 06 x3 w/Meyers plow and winter daily. Prussian Motors is hiring!! prussianmotors.com/jobs
    Current e39t LS Turbo swap: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...LS-e39-Touring

My Cars
    X5/5MT || Z4MC
    Dude.. I only dream about those days. I'm excited for you while vicariously living your story. Only car I got to play with on the street was a c4 or c5 vette. He wanted another race, but my exit was near.

I think the GTR vs me might make the GTR owner feel sad. Some day...
    When I lived in the Poconos, I would never find anything decent. Now that I'm in NJ close to NYC, there's a lot of young guys in the area with $$$ so you can catch some pretty decent races. You would embarrass a ton of people out here, minus maybe the built GTRs, C6 Z06s, GT500s, and 911s. I rarely run into those anyway, but you can tell when you do. They're all loud as shit.
    Past Builds:

Current Fleet:

My Cars
    mostly bmw
    I'm in yuppieville around here. Panameras and 911's are daily drivers. No One uses them as anything but that. It's sad.

I chatted with a Supra owner at a red light one day. 700whp bla bla bla Sadly, I was in my 4 cyl pick up truck at the time.

I want a house in the Poconos Yo! Grass is always greener I suppose.

My Cars
    X5/5MT || Z4MC
    So, another update. Drove up to CT and picked up a disassembled motor from a Z3M that lost a rod bearing. I checked out the crank and it looks like it can be polished out. Just need to send it out to a local crankshaft shop to see how it is.

The purpose of buying the motor is twofold. One, I wanted a spare engine to start doing R&D for new parts I'm planning on offering. It'll start with the intake tract and possibly include exhaust work to compliment certain camshaft durations. These cylinder heads are pretty impressive and fun to mess around with. I may also design a cost-effective dry sump system since it isn't rocket science and everything on the market is crazy expensive. With that, I can also toy with mounting the engine vertically to open up my exhaust options and let turbo guys run more serious snails.

The second reason I wanted this is to build a motor without losing any downtime. Haven't decided what direction I wanted to take it in. I'm leaning towards a bulletproof NA setup with forged rods, forged pistons, mild headwork, and an aggressive cam. I've wanted to run another nitrous setup using propane as a fuel source for a while now. That'll allow me to have about 425 bhp on tap for normal driving (which will make it a 120 mph car) and around 600 bhp on spray for roll-on events or drag racing (over 130 mph).

I need to figure out what my torque limits for traction are on solid tires and design around that. No sense in having 500 lb-ft of torque if I'm just blowing the tires off constantly...just makes for a dangerous and slow car. I'd be fine pulling more peak power if I can rev to, say, 8500 or 9000 rpm if I can maintain airflow/torque to that level.
    Last edited by Ragnorak; 02-06-2014 at 01:27 PM.
    Past Builds:

Current Fleet:

My Cars
    oloa 318ti
    Well i have found that 255/35/18 toyo r888 do a pretty good job of putting my 530 wtq down to the ground.
    one lap of america s52/gt35r 318ti..500whp 533wtq 19psi via rk-tunes....
    follow me on instagram @whitecord1

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnorak View Post
    No sense in having 500 lb-ft of torque if I'm just blowing the tires off constantly...just makes for a dangerous and slow car. I'd be fine pulling more peak power if I can rev to, say, 8500 or 9000 rpm if I can maintain airflow/torque to that level.
    In addition to the sticky rubber, consider Race Logic traction control. It works really really well. Nothing like OEM TC systems that take all the fun out of things. I can mash the pedal in 2nd gear, and in less than ideal traction situations with the Race Logic set to 10%, the back end scoots around a little scrabbling for traction, but the tires do not "roast"!

My Cars
    skateboard
    Quote Originally Posted by jakermac View Post
    In addition to the sticky rubber, consider Race Logic traction control. It works really really well. Nothing like OEM TC systems that take all the fun out of things. I can mash the pedal in 2nd gear, and in less than ideal traction situations with the Race Logic set to 10%, the back end scoots around a little scrabbling for traction, but the tires do not "roast"!
    I heard it can do nasty things to high whp cars going down a track. I'd rather use my right foot for traction issues.
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    96 Stage 2 S/C Alpine M3
    Quote Originally Posted by GG///M3 View Post
    I heard it can do nasty things to high whp cars going down a track. I'd rather use my right foot for traction issues.
    Interesting, I hadn't heard this before. I'd be curious to hear some real experiences. I've heard mostly good things

Compactive is offline Helpful. BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    3x 318ti
    Any summer shots of the car?
    Want a custom signature? Post requests here, or PM me here | My Flickr

My Cars
    X5/5MT || Z4MC
    Quote Originally Posted by Compactive View Post
    Any summer shots of the car?
    I will be starting another thread soon! A lot of changes since the beginning of the year and a few other builds in the works. I'm currently prepping the chassis to effectively handle 500 WHP and have a few different ideas of how I want to fulfill that goal. If you follow my Instagram, you may have some insight.

Looking for more grip, less weight, and more power going forward. This should be fun.
    Past Builds:

Current Fleet:

Compactive is offline Helpful. BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    3x 318ti
    500 ... this should be fun.
    Want a custom signature? Post requests here, or PM me here | My Flickr

My Cars
    a car
    just read this thread. very awesome, and great build! thank you so much OP for posting!

i've been out of the car world for a bit, but getting back into it again. i just got a ti and thinking about what to do.

my last build was an e36 m3 coupe with a eurosport twinscrew on an aluminum m52 block, s52 head, 315s on the back, aluminum doors, carbon and titanium stuff to get it down to ~2720lbs with full interior sans back seat. i autocrossed it and had a lot of fun. i finished that build almost 8 years ago now, so reading this thread is really invigorating. i sold that car before going overseas for a few years, but excited to start up something again. thanks for the inspiration.

My Cars
    X5/5MT || Z4MC
    Quote Originally Posted by megatron View Post
    just read this thread. very awesome, and great build! thank you so much OP for posting!

i've been out of the car world for a bit, but getting back into it again. i just got a ti and thinking about what to do.

my last build was an e36 m3 coupe with a eurosport twinscrew on an aluminum m52 block, s52 head, 315s on the back, aluminum doors, carbon and titanium stuff to get it down to ~2720lbs with full interior sans back seat. i autocrossed it and had a lot of fun. i finished that build almost 8 years ago now, so reading this thread is really invigorating. i sold that car before going overseas for a few years, but excited to start up something again. thanks for the inspiration.
    That definitely sounds like an epic build. I love the twinscrew setups on the M5x engine family, makes for a really potent combination. Can't imagine that package in an E36 M3, must have been awesome!
    Past Builds:

Current Fleet:

My Cars
    96 Stage 2 S/C Alpine M3
    Quote Originally Posted by megatron View Post

This sounds incredible. Dyno sheet or numbers?

My Cars
    a car
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnorak View Post
    That definitely sounds like an epic build. I love the twinscrew setups on the M5x engine family, makes for a really potent combination. Can't imagine that package in an E36 M3, must have been awesome!
    It was really fun. I just got a second ti, a 95 this time, to build up. I had gotten a 96 a few weeks ago, but it was too clean to build up, so I gave it to my dad to use. So I'll do up the 95. The OBD1 on the 95 will make it easier to keep registered with swap and standalone and what not. I'm really excited at the options, and one of them is another aluminum Twinscrew engine, since I still have a spare aluminum M52B28 block. The Twinscrew is now twice the price of when I got mine back in the day, however, so will need to consider other options.

Quote Originally Posted by bladerealm124 View Post
    This sounds incredible. Dyno sheet or numbers?
    I was running it at 11psi and making about mid-350s and up to the ground. The response and drivability, however, was the best part. Never got a chance to play around with anything cams and head work, wise however, was just running standard M3 cams/valve-springs from the S52 head. I'm sure there was plenty more in the setup. The car was 2nd fastest when we raced it at the SCCA Nationals Street Modified behind Bob Tunnell's then Street Modified class Twinscrew 95 M3.

Here's some pics. I'm hoping to make an even better E36 Compact.

Anyway, sorry to derail your awesome thread. I'm just excited to get back into it after seeing your build!
    Last edited by megatron; 08-12-2014 at 03:17 AM. Reason: reduced image size and updated layout

My Cars
    07/95 E36 ///M3
    My car's like
    ''YO SIS''
    lol
    Current:
    1983 E21 320I ''Trusty stead!'' Ireland engineering suspension, solid strut bar, all stock
    1995 E36 ///M3 ''Could it be love? it is!'' so Much $$$$$ Dumped on this car!
    2002 E39 ///M5 ''Angry little thing!'' dinan tune, dinan diff, supersprint exhaust system overhaul...
    The goners:
    1992 E30 318is slicktop ''Knuckles'' volvo lip, full stock
    1992 E36 320i ''You did good little one'' Full stock
    1988 w124 Mercedes 250d ''Best car ever...EVER!'' Bone stock!

Whatever you can ''faster'', I can do ''faster''!

My Cars
    1996 328i Sedan
    How much power do you make?

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast