Thread: Need Help with Leak on my E24

My Cars
    1989 635 CSI

Need Help with Leak on my E24

I just bought an 89 BMW 635 CSI.... I love the car, that's why even if I am not knowledgeable mechanically, I still bought this car. I am planning to learn from this car. My problem right now is I spotted a leak near the radiator (right side) and it seem coming from a tube connection. I have taken pics, but since I'm new here. I am not allowed to post pics. Can somebody help me? I can send the pics by email or by smart phone. Thanks in advance!!!

RUSS

My Cars
    '85 635 CSi A 5 Sp TCD Stage II
    e mail them to me and I'll have a look and post em up later this evening.
    But please don't send me them in hi res multi megabyte size

baddog at videotron.ca

My Cars
    1988 m6

leak

Ruddy,

Welcome.

Probably the plastic side of the radiator, if its a connection. Add some white plumbers tape to the threads.
    Plastic is brittle and you might break it trying to remove.

How many miles on your car.

BMW parts look up link.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do...9890100&arch=1
    Jay
    '88 M6 Cinnabar Red / Nappa Natur Highline Interior (10-87) Santa Ana, California. USA

My NEW Website, Link : https://www.jaysbmwparts.com

Booster repair
    https://www.jaysbmwparts.com

A/C Wingcell Compressor leak repair

e31 Door Handle Fix,

My Cars
    1989 635 CSI
    May I have your email address, Taylor? Thanks.

RUSS

I don't think it's coming from the radiator though. It looks to me that it's oil and the tubing is just passing by the side of the radiator. My E24 has only 86,400 miles.
    Last edited by Ruddyboy; 01-31-2013 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    I gave it to you above.

It's baddog at videotron.ca

My Cars
    1989 635 CSI
    Sent! Tell me what you think Mr. Taylor.

My Cars
    Here are the pics from our new contributor.
    Clearly the leaking fluid is ATF . It's a bit difficult to get locational context but I believe that the lines shown are those from the trannie to the ATF cooler on the passenger side of the rad. I have a standard and am ignorant of AT doodaderies so I'm kind of guessing at that.... please chime in !

My Cars
    1989 635 CSI
    Thanks for posting my problem Taylor. I will email you a pic of my car. You will see that it is really nice!

Ruddyboy

My Cars
    1987 M6
    I second your evaluation, Taylor. It's either a loose fitting at the radiator or a crack in the line/rad.

Jose
    1987 M6
    Livin the dream!

My Cars
    '85 635/'00 RD R50
    I hope for a lose fitting (try to fasten using Feel-und-tight technique). Behr radiator has metal fittings that are pretty sturdy

My vote goes toward seeping hose. There is not much else to do but replace it. You have a feed hose and a return hose. Both are about 2 feet each and pressed into a fitted hard line that runs along the nose, and then the driver's side all the way to the tranny. One connects directly, while the other connects to another short soft hose. I forget which one is which, but they're sold separately (3 pieces, including the shorty at the tranny).

You can replace them yourself. However, the car is best on a lift, or at least high on jacks so you can properly fish through the new hard lines.

The other option is to have specialty shop press on new soft hoses.

An Indy shop will probably ask about $300 if you wanna have it done.

And, welcome to the forum! Lots of us post pics on photobucket and post an image tag here.
    Tom
    Present: '06 530xiT | '00 RD R50 |'88 635CSI (project) | '85 635CSi

Past:
    '08 X3 l '98 Z3 MT l '95 M3 MT l'84 325e MT
    R.I.P.:
    '87 L6 | 85 635CSi MT | '80 320i MT

My Cars
    1989 635 CSI
    Thanks guys for your input. I will update you on whatever will come out of my Shark's situation. I just hope it will be easy on my pocket. Thanks also for welcoming me!!!

RUSS

Hi "bimas"! You are right! I went to a couple of transmission mechanic today, and they both suggested replacing those metal hose. Would you know where I can buy them? The labor charge is $160 though. The other guy told me if I can't find the part. He can bring it to a machine shop for replacement, but he don't know how much the shop will ask to do it. Labor charge for that is the same. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Ruddyboy; 02-01-2013 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    '87 635Csi & 3 MG's
    Welcome!

Ok, you said you wanted to learn, so to do this, you first need to go to one of the parts catalogs** and look up the parts and their numbers to see what you are dealing with. You can now see the hoses and lines and how they generally run. The first thing is to wipe them down and see exactly where the leak is coming from. You may just need to tighten the top fitting? In your last photo, it shows the bottom radiator fitting and hose (Ref #3) and the hose looks pretty weather checked, so it might be a good idea buy replacements or have the lines rebuilt at a local hose shop.

Ref# 13 Bolts into the transmission and the fittings at the other end of the lines attach to the Transmission Oil Cooler fittings which is incorporated into the radiator.
    _________

Normally you would next check Your Bentley** and the Factory Workshop Manual** for help in the task but there is very little on the transmission oil cooler lines except where they connect to the transmission.

As to the parts**, the online dealer, GetBMWParts wants $57 (+shipping) for Ref #1 and $60 (+shipping) for Ref #3, not bad. It would probably cost that much to have them rebuilt. Neither AutoHaus nor PelicanParts seem to have an aftermarket part so it seems to be a "Dealer Only" part. If you can get a local Dealer to get close to matching the price (and some will), you can save the shipping.

** This stuff is all found on this "Goodies Page". It has links to Online (or PDF Downloads) of the Factory Workshop Manuals, Wiring Diagrams (ETM's), Parts Manuals, Online Suppliers, etc.:
    http://bigcoupe.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10410
    Last edited by CW6er; 02-01-2013 at 02:23 PM.

My Cars
    1989 635 CSI
    Thanks so much CW6er!!! Your contribution is a great help!!! You guys are the best. I like this place already!!!

Update: I ordered the parts: Part # 17221712292 and 17221177271 from BMW of Atlanta. Costs: $162.78 includes S&H. Will be delivered within 1 week. Thanks again everybody!!!

Ruddyboy
    'O=0=O'
    Last edited by Ruddyboy; 02-01-2013 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    86 635,72 E3, 88M6,73 E9
    I use Tomkinson BMW ( no affil) for dealer only parts, nice guys and I have cross-referenced to other dealer sites suggested and they are at worst, the same price and most times better. Your parts were 53 and 56 bucks respectively with 10 bucks S and H.
    Rob E3

My Cars
    1989 635 CSI
    Well, too late! I already paid. I will keep that in mind for the future though, but thanks anyway.....

Ruddyboy
    'O=0=O'

My Cars
    Audi R8 / BMW 635CSI / N
    I just found this helpful and wanted to say thanks, as I also found the same leak on my 89.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk