Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: E46 Cluster not working fully

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325I
    You need to disassemble the cluster and search for a loose or cracked solder on the circuit board. It's possible that one of the plug pins is damaged on the cluster side or connector. You'll need to do some exploratory surgery to fix this one.

My Cars
    X5 328i 325iT Z3
    I have the demonic cluster too. I guess it's time to explore...yea!!!
    BMW fleet...
    2023 X5 4.0Xi
    2012 F650GS
    2011 328i
    2007 F650GS
    2006 F650GS
    2002 325iT
    1999 Z3
    1996 318ti (son's car)

Departed BMWs...2009 328i...2001 325i...1998 328is...1997 328is...1997 328Ti...

My Cars
    Bmw 318i
    helo jduria
    its been amazing how your suggestion worked.let me start from my problem.one fine day while driving suddendly my ambient temperature started shwoing - 40 degres and in no time my whole panel stopped working (totally blank) . since i was close to BMW showroom i just drove till there as the car was working still fine. and to my utter disappointment those guys had no clue and just resided on putting it on diagnostics which would take anything from 800 rands hourly.i returned. since the car was fine i kept driving with in town risking my self without indicators. the guy at local garage also checked the fuse individually and said fuses are fine.here i want to mwntion that two days back(before this incident) my wife bumped in to parking payvements and soemthing broke from left front lower side near the wheel. i guess thst was sensor.i pushed that inside and continued. later on i checked this forum and came to this understanding that because of that sensor there was some electrical mismatch leading to blank control panel.thats when i did exactly what you had advised...and bingo,....everything back on.....thanks a lot for saving my money....the temperture is still wonky to +50 degrees. but i think gotto change the sensor.that will fix the whole problem

My Cars
    540i6 S2M5 M2C 135 S52ti
    Quote Originally Posted by telijah View Post
    Yes, but what are you're options if the cluster is bad...? Maybe, MAYBE, you can source a cluster from a junk lot, and if you are able to, transplant to specific mechanical gauges over? But why go through that if you for sure do not know the root cause? You've done a lot more than most would have already before deciding to get another cluster, so I think for peace of mind, have a dealer run the cluster is not a bad idea at this point.
    my cluster is acting up aswell.... eBay has them for 100$... U might have to have the OdO coded

My Cars
    540i6 S2M5 M2C 135 S52ti
    My coolant temp gauge runs all over the place.... To say the least... My tach stays lit just a bit when car is off... And... My clock goes into 24 hour mode in hi speed reverse... Anyone else had this happen ? Soecifically he coolant temp gauge ?

My Cars
    540i6 S2M5 M2C 135 S52ti
    Quote Originally Posted by oposum View Post
    Was good for about 5 days, now the gremlins are back This is how it looks like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_mlgoAIfSc When i turn off the lights and hit on the dash (above the cluster), things go back to normal. And on the end of the video you can see about 1 sec delay of lights turning off when i remove the key from the ignition. I ordered a new ignition switch, hoping it will solve all this bulls***!
    it's because when u switched the batter it gave it a "battery reset" which can temporarily fix little issues like this...

My Cars
    BMW 318 se

Instrument cluster not working. Battery possible cause?

Hi guys
    Having trouble with my instrument cluster it completely stopped working over night my interior light was left on so battery was ran low but not dead. Switched it on and suddenly realised with no back light and no gauges working, only lights to appear were abs and seatbelt light in bottom right corner of cluster. Also OBC not working.

Does this mean my cluster is f**cked? There must be power getting to it as it still gets the 2 lights appear (abs and seatbelt).
    Any help appreciated

My Cars
    2002 BMW 320d compact...
    Hi guys,

I have spend 3 hours on the web, in a search of a similar problem, but nothing so far. First to apologize for re opening the cluster subject but I'm desperate. The problem is, recently bought 2002 E46 320d compact as a second car. Love it too much, as all E46 I had, and this never happened before. Days already saying to my wife how the diesel scale is almost not moving from the middle of the tank. She corrected me that we have the half tank bcs we don't drive it too much. After 100 km in the city it had to move. No, it stayed in the middle and today I checked the speed I'm going, it was not even close to 120km/h. I pulled over, turned the car off, and the KM scale went to 65km/h, instead on zero!!! First thing it popped on my mind is to enter the OBC and do the cluster test. Everything was fine except the KM odometer, which worked but it started from 65km/h and instead of finishing just after 240, it went allllllll the way into the empty black field way after 240km/h. I stopped the test function,Ii took out the key, and the the scale went down on 20 something. Since then its there. I'm thinking, maybe the AC could be the reason, last two days I tested is it functional at all. The complete car is in a mint condition, as I took it from a first and only owner, from Germany, made in Germany and so on. Most of the parts are still the factory parts, as there were no need to change anything. Sorry for going into details, but I love that car too much. Before going into the service, maybe somebody can help me...thanks a lot....

My Cars
    2000 BMW 323i
    I had similar problem when I replaced front side windows regulator and the battery was disconnected for 30 min. The instrument cluster didn't work, A/C also, but car was running. SO, I run the car about 30min and some noise (as a running electrical motor) from cluster area was heared, and everything started again.
    May be the computer was reset when it was without power and short drive brought it back.

My Cars
    ‘15 F31d Msport
    If you need a new cluster, buy the "BMW scanner" for $13 on eBay. You can change the vin and odo to match so you can use the cluster.
    Add in NCS expert and bam, you can use a used cluster.

I did an lkm in under 5 minutes, including program installation time .
    If I were to give my Touring a first name, I'd probably name it "Alan".
    Mostly because I like puns.
    Mutual Admiration Society #5

My Cars
    2000 BMW 323i
    Hi , I have a BMW 2000 323i that I just jumped start the car , the min. I did the Gage's stopped working , I followed all the tips here but no luck , help plz

My Cars
    2000 BMW 323i
    I did the cluster test , all the lights came on but the Gage's didn't move, do I need a new cluster.

My Cars
    Bmw 325 ti
    Open up the back of the cluster, look for a large 4700 micro farad 25v capacitor. Find a replacement from radio shack or maplins and cut the legs to the old cap nearest its body. Get your new cap and solder it to the legs of the old one making sure to get the polarity correct. You will find your cluster works perfectly after replacing the capacitor as these types of electrolytic caps fail after around 10 to15 years and will cause problems with the gauges.

My Cars
    E46 Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Bmw ti View Post
    Open up the back of the cluster, look for a large 4700 micro farad 25v capacitor. Find a replacement from radio shack or maplins and cut the legs to the old cap nearest its body. Get your new cap and solder it to the legs of the old one making sure to get the polarity correct. You will find your cluster works perfectly after replacing the capacitor as these types of electrolytic caps fail after around 10 to15 years and will cause problems with the gauges.
    Hello All,

My E46 convertible instrument cluster is dead with no backlight, no movement from any of the needles and no display. The only lights that come on are the seatbelt, airbag and the ABS lights in the bottom right corner.

Before seeing the post above, the only options seem to be a full replacement (at an extortionate cost) or a reasonably expensive mail in repair service.

The capacitors mentioned here are available on Amazon for only £3.88 though so, does the above repair actually work for this fault please?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/yageo-13944...+25v+capacitor

No good with DIY myself sadly, but I could probably find someone that could handle a soldering iron.

My Cars
    Bmw 325 ti
    Hi KeanosMagicHat, yes that cap is the correct type, you could try just twisting the leads of the new cap onto the leads of the old removed cap if you can't find a soldering iron, it's not perfect but should still work. Just cut the old caps leads as close to the body of the cap as possible.

My Cars
    01BMW 330ci convertible

Problem fixed. Also convertible top

thanks brother this helped not only my cluster. but also my top. I did what you top.

My Cars
    BMW 330ci

330ci cluster issues

Hi so I have a 2001 330ci and I’m having cluster issues. Everything works fine except for everything in the bottom left doesn’t work. When the ignition is on all the lights come on but when the car is on the engine light or brake/ abs lights don’t come on. My brakes are very warn and when I scan the car I have the codes for the brake pad sensors. The light doesn’t come on when the car is started. I checked and replaced all the fuses and still no luck. Help would be greatly appreciated.

My Cars
    E46 330cd msport
    Had this issue tonight, 55plate 330cd. car hadn’t been started for about 8 weeks. Was expectedly a bit grumpy to turn over but started.

Cluster totally dead except seatbelt light. Oem nav unit dead except button lights.

Had a browse of this thread and disconnected the battery for half hour. Reconnected and all working fine again.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 325Ci
    Will BMW ti,
    I remember reading you post regarding replacing the capaitor to correct cluster issues sometime back. After a LONG "re-search" for it, I finally found it again. I have a question. Ever since I purchased my 2002 325Ci, the cluster has been "dead", with the exception of the seatbelt and Air Bag indicators "proving out" as normal. I have no gauge operation, no turn signal indicators, NO lighting of ANY kind...including the odometer or IC computer. In your experience, does this sound like a condition that replacing the capacitor would most likely correct???
    Thanks very much for your assistance,
    Patrick

My Cars
    1988 735i, 2003 325xi
    hello i am having trouble with my 2003 325xi glove box fuse cluster, the top row fuses #1-34 recently were blown after i installed a 40amp fuse for my radio which is fuse #41 30amp. fuse #41 was missing and i put the 40amp in the 30amp spot now fuses 1-34 do not light with my continuity tester , some look burnt, some i cant tell but the pins in the box that you put the fuse in dont emit light from my continuity tester either in that top row. so i am wondering if i messed up my whole fuse box and should replace it or if theres another element to this that im missing. btw all of my 50amp fuses are registering on the tester, thanks for your time!!

My Cars
    2006 325xi

2006 325xi cluster issues

My problems are similar and wondering what anybody thinks about my problem. Cluster lights up but no gauges except fuel gauge. I know the lady I bought the car from said she just replaced the battery because there was water in the battery compartment . Then she did fuel pump cause she couldn’t get it to start and that’s what the shop told her to do anyways she has it towed to my house and after an hour I changed the fuel pump relay fuse and boom it starts right up except no guages except fuel. Let me also add that my wipers constantly run as well as the fuel pump. Is that normal? What I mean is I put the fob in and push start button not to start engine but to turn on accessory power and fuel pump will prime until the car is started(I’m talking 30 minutes easy. I haven’t pushed it past 30 minutes). The reason I bring that up with my cluster issue is I thought maybe my relay was bad so I removed it and went to start the car and I saw my tach needle move a bit. Next I put the relay back in and start the car and after 20 seconds I pull the relay and boom my tach starts working for about 15 seconds before the car dies from not receiving fuel. Did the same thing with relay fuse and same result. Does anybody give me some feedback please. Ty
    Last edited by Peteypie; 06-19-2020 at 02:08 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention something

My Cars
    BMW E46
    Hi Guys, I know this is an old thread but I struggled to find much information when I needed it so hopefully can help someone in the future! My instrument panel died on my E46, I checked fuses and tried unplugging it etc, I didn't want to just get another second hand dash because of the tamper light either. I found a company in Hampshire called Cartronix who repair these! I sent the part to them, they fixed it the same day and sent it back so I had it the following day at a reasonable price too. I can't believe how quick they did it and I haven't had any problems since.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 840ci
    If everything else fails on what YOU can do, send it to Automotive Circuit Solution. Fix the cluster and all the issues. Very reasonable!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12