Thread: Intermittent charging issues

My Cars
    2009 335i sport

Intermittent charging issues

Over the past week I had been having intermittent charging issues, as in sometimes the alternator was charging my battery (test 9) and sometimes it wasn't. I made a strange connection; it charged when I was stopped only. Drove it for about a day and half like this, always making sure it was charging enough to get it started again (had to get to work). So for 2 days it's been parked. I have tested the battery and the alternator and all is well. I decided to jack her up and take a look at the grounds (don't know where they are actually, I did search) figuring there's at least one under there. I glance at the passenger side motor mount and the bracket is clean broken from front to back! Save the safety PSAs I know what could've happened but I start wondering, is this the reason for my issues?

My real question is, is there a ground strap there? Could it have broken? Thanks ahead of time for any knowledge on this. Btw I immediately ordered a new bracket and mounts from my local dealer. It'll stay parked until then.

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    Good catch...

I do believe having the motor floating freely on one side could very well be causing this issue (depends on which side). Make sure you double check all mounting brackets (especially alt n ps) as they can also fail in the same way...

If there was a broken ground strap, I don't think the engine would even start. Anyone back me up on that?
    Last edited by ViolinARC; 01-25-2013 at 03:10 PM.

'00 540iA Sport w/235k+ Original TCG's, Vanos and transmission.​*Trans failure at 244k+...FS Now

My Cars
    2009 335i sport
    Quote Originally Posted by 12CoolDude View Post

If there was a broken ground strap, I don't think the engine would even start. Anyone back me up on that?
    I did have 2 no start instances....once I get in there to relaxed the bracket I'm going to double check everything. Anyone have a link to all the ground locations? I searched with no results....thanks

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Sent from my vacuum using BF.com

Bueller?

Sent from my vacuum using BF.com
    Last edited by DetroitDIY; 01-26-2013 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2009 335i sport

Need some info

I received my engine bracket today and started pulling everything apart. I think my charging issues are due to the fact that I am actually missing a ground strap! Hopefully some one can chime in. I believe there should be a ground wire from the body to the front side of the mount(towards the front of the car)....right? There is nothing there right now, not even a broken wire, that's why I'm a little confused ...had to take a break(gotta go to work) but I'm looking to wrap this up tomorrow!

Thanks for any help!