Thread: Sunroof fix. What kit to get and where to find fabric?

My Cars
    2014 M5

Sunroof fix. What kit to get and where to find fabric?

Ive been searching all weekend and cant find and exact info on this.

I have a 95 M3 and the inner sunroof liner slides freely on its own. There is a kit available here

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E36-M3-...roof/ES157418/

but Im not sure if I need those parts or the ones listed here
    http://www.bimmerdiy.com/diy/e36sunroof/

Which one do I need to fix the sliding issue? And can this be done without removing the headliner?

Also I want to recover the sunroof liner, but cant seem to find the cloth to do it. Anyone know where I can get some?
    M5 because why not have a 700hp baby mover?

My Cars
    04 330ci ZHP, 04 Yukon
    Try Joann fabric if you have one close. If not you can order online. You didn't say what color your headliner is but they have a good selection. I just bought 2.5 yards of microsuede (silver) that matches the dove almost perfectly. It was about $60 but I came up short (covered the pillars also and had to redo 2 of them). 3.5 yards would be plenty and allow enough to cover the sunroof panel too.

After you pull the headliner fabric there will be a bunch of the old foam left on it. Get a clean wire brush and use that to scrape the foam off. Just don't scrape too hard and mess up the fiber board. It will come off but makes a huge mess.
    Last edited by EfiniMotorsport; 01-22-2013 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2014 M5
    I only need something that matches to do the sunroof section. My headliner was replaced 2 years ago and is perfect. and there is no Joann fabric anywhere here.

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    ^ Any fabric store then ... has to be one in Atlanta. You just need half a yard of whatever is closest in color. The sunroof shuttle is flat so the type of material really doesn't matter: you're not stretching it over any curves.

And yes, people have removed them by sliding back the sunroof and unhooking them then raising the roof lid and removing it and then taking the shuttle out that way, but given yours is broken, I'm not sure if you can fix what you need to fix with everything in the car. I'd definitely take it out (as tedious as it is to get the headliner out and all).

My Cars
    e36 coupe
    I had to repair my sunroof. It was not sliding as you stated in the thread. There is no "kit" for this project. What there are are 6 plastic made clips that slid on the cassette making the sunroof work. Go to a junkyard and get unbroken pieces. These pieces are only found at the dealer for 25 bucks each. You heard me, around $150 for some plastic clips.
    Clean out the rail area where these plastic clip slid on. Search youtube and there is a guy who has e36 sunroof repair. Its a 4 part video.
    Fixing the sunroof was such a time consuming project. It lasted me a week. It was worth it to have the car sunroof work. I never had it working when I bought it.

My Cars
    04 330ci ZHP, 04 Yukon
    I'm pretty sure pelican parts has all the sunroof pieces and clips.They also have a good writeup with pics on how to do it.

My Cars
    2014 M5
    Cant find any writeup on the site, got a link by chance?