Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: S52 Oil Cooling Options thread

My Cars
    M Coupe
    Curious what size Setrab oil coolers you are using for S52 non supercharged vehicles? What dimensions and or row count? I searched but was not very successful. Thanks.
    Last edited by Curt C; 07-09-2016 at 11:01 PM.
    99 M Coupe
    99 996 Cabrio
    86 Saleen Griggs Road Race Car

My Cars
    Audi B8.5 S4
    Updating the thread a bit... I'll need to go back and edit the original post.

So... I'm still running an S54 radiator and ZA expansion tank/fan shroud/SPAL puller. However, I ditched the custom socketless Aeroquip lines and Setrab cooler (that I've been running for 7 years!!!) in favor of factory S54 oil cooler lines connected to a ZA high-cap oil cooler - with factory-style ports and mounts. The only 'issue' is that the fan shroud was designed for the taller S52 radiator, so it hangs a touch below the bottom of the shorter S54 radiator, thus encroaching on the oil cooler's territory. Normally this wouldn't be a problem, but the lower edge on the driver's side blocks access to the factory-style ports on the cooler. I simply cut out a notch from the shroud and actively fought my OCD over the aesthetic misfortune of the affair.

Report: Oil temps on the highway dropped from ~230* to ~215*. Under heavy load (track driving), from 260* to 230*
    Update: Installed the plastic, $35 post oil-cooler duct (connects to the under tray), and highway temps are ~205*. Heavy load, still at ~230* (this was at an HPDE where the OAT was ~95*F, H.I. ~105*, and track temps at least 100*.

Last edited by BMWBergy; 09-16-2016 at 10:41 PM.

My Cars
    00 Mshoe
    I guess my setup would be more an exception rather than an option... more "custom" fit for my taste and set up than what most people would want/need/can use

My Cars
    Audi B8.5 S4
    Quote Originally Posted by robb1887 View Post
    I guess my setup would be more an exception rather than an option... more "custom" fit for my taste and set up than what most people would want/need/can use
    Robb, yours definitely needs to be in here - yes, as a full-custom option. I just wanted to make a super-quick update to the thread because fb peeps were asking about oil cooling on S52s. I'd bet that most folks who want to do a no-funds-barred cooling upgrade would opt for the ZA S54-spec Al radiator, expansion tank/fan shroud, and their 'off-the-shelf' high-cap oil cooler.

I have spoken with ZA about an making a fan shroud with an offset fan for the S54-style setup in order to accommodate a S/C on an S52. All the current E36-spec offset options are for an S52 rad w/ no oil cooler provision.

In the end, I just want to have the most robust, bullet-proof cooling system. Eventually I will upgrade to a ZA radiator, and either a baffled oil pan and custom VAC oil pump, or S54 pan and pump.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    I have a combination of Robb's oil cooler setup and the new ZA track radiator sitting here. Massive. Need to make time to install it all.

What were your water temps on the track? Now that you are using more surface area rather than stacked coolers, they should have come down a notch also.

/.randy

My Cars
    Audi B8.5 S4
    Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    I have a combination of Robb's oil cooler setup and the new ZA track radiator sitting here. Massive. Need to make time to install it all. What were your water temps on the track? Now that you are using more surface area rather than stacked coolers, they should have come down a notch also.
    Randy, I'm sure they did come down - but the factory gauge really didn't indicate anything. I'm afraid I still need to upgrade my sensor/display suite from the factory gauges to something... useful and informative.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    The stock gauge is useless, 75-105 is all dead center. There are OBDii solutions. And there is another solution in the works....

/.randy

My Cars
    00 Mshoe
    My setup:
    ZA S52 (type 2) radiator (custom added brackets to bottom)
    ZA custom built oil cooler (24x3x2.5 core, -10AN bungs)
    S54 oil filter housing
    Aeroquip -10AN lines and fitting
    VAC OEM to AN oil fitting adapter kit

MUST have Motion Motor sport underpanel installed and requires a bit of AC line massaging and E36 power steering line.
    Last edited by robb1887; 09-17-2016 at 04:11 PM.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    And the. E36 power steering line

/.randy

My Cars
    00 Mshoe
    And the. E36 power steering line
    Forgot that too! Ha. Done too much to remember. Ha

My Cars
    '95 M3 '00 M Coupe
    My setup: ZA S52 (type 2) radiator (custom added brackets to bottom) ZA custom built oil cooler (24x3x2.5 core, -10AN bungs) S54 oil filter housing Aeroquip -10AN lines and fitting VAC OEM to AN oil fitting adapter kit MUST have Motion Motor sport underpanel installed and requires a bit of AC line massaging and E36 power steering line.
    can you not run the ZA oil cooler with the stock underpanel?

I'm currently running the s54 cooler with the stock underpanel w/the correct upper ducting (the a/c lines are in the way on one side), and the stock power steering cooling loop. Thinking about upgrading in the future. Also would like to get the ducting to fit in the passenger side, I don't want to loose it over time.

db
    [oo]|[||][||]|[oo]
    '95 M3 Cosmos Schwarz Metallic on Dove Grey: AA CAI, AA bump up kit, Euro HFM, JC chip, AA track pipe, AA Gen III exhaust, AA ltw flywheel and clutch package, X brace, front strut brace, Koni SA shocks, H&R sport springs, GC RSMs, 71 deg T-stat, aluminium housing, JT-D underpanel, Hamann black out grill kit, oem euro lights all around, 18" BBS RC 10s, UUC motorwerks pulley kit, 3 spoke steering wheel, silverstar H1s fog light bulbs, ZKWs w/CCFL, Prolumen 4300k HIDs, Powerflex RTAB and LCAB
    (<oo\(||][||)/oo>)
    '00 M Coupe Oxford Green II Metallic Sunroof Delete on Oregon Beige: (under construction)

My Cars
    Audi B8.5 S4
    Quote Originally Posted by ///Mpmp1025 View Post
    can you not run the ZA oil cooler with the stock underpanel?

db
    He had it made specifically to fit under an S52-sized radiator, with the MM underpanel.

My Cars
    '95 M3 '00 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWBergy View Post
    He had it made specifically to fit under an S52-sized radiator, with the MM underpanel.
    Ahhhhhh ok, that makes sense. That sounds like quite the setup.

db
    [oo]|[||][||]|[oo]
    '95 M3 Cosmos Schwarz Metallic on Dove Grey: AA CAI, AA bump up kit, Euro HFM, JC chip, AA track pipe, AA Gen III exhaust, AA ltw flywheel and clutch package, X brace, front strut brace, Koni SA shocks, H&R sport springs, GC RSMs, 71 deg T-stat, aluminium housing, JT-D underpanel, Hamann black out grill kit, oem euro lights all around, 18" BBS RC 10s, UUC motorwerks pulley kit, 3 spoke steering wheel, silverstar H1s fog light bulbs, ZKWs w/CCFL, Prolumen 4300k HIDs, Powerflex RTAB and LCAB
    (<oo\(||][||)/oo>)
    '00 M Coupe Oxford Green II Metallic Sunroof Delete on Oregon Beige: (under construction)

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    The stock gauge is useless, 75-105 is all dead center. There are OBDii solutions. And there is another solution in the works....

On my S52 I reduced the instrument cluster's buffer zone (straight up center zone) to 80°C-95°C, using NCSExpert coding.

Straight up middle is in bold.

31,92,B0,CB,E7 (hexadecimal)

9.4°C, 63.3°C, 80°C, 95°C, 110.6°C

49°F, 146°F, 176°F, 203°F, 231°F

Stock is:

31,92,B0,D8,E7 (hexadecimal)

9.4°C, 63.3°C, 80°C, 102.2°C, 110.6°C

49°F, 146°F, 176°F, 216°F, 231°F

I can narrow it down even more as needed. All numbers in between are interpolated.

Not too hard to replicate, but a true ADS connection is needed to reach S52 clusters.
    S54, M52tu, and M54 can be reached with USB + 20-pin adapter.

- - - Updated - - -

Alternatively, I can set the 3rd and 4th values the same, which eliminates buffer (at the expense of some resolution).

Example:

31,92,BE,BE,E7 (hexadecimal)

9.4°C, 63.3°C, 88°C, 88°C, 110.6°C

49°F, 146°F, 190.4°F, 190.4°F, 231°F

Or set buffer like 80/88 thermostat:

31,92,B0,BE,E7 (hexadecimal)

9.4°C, 63.3°C, 80°C, 88°C, 110.6°C

49°F, 146°F, 176°F, 190.4°F, 231°F
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    00 Mshoe
    Ahhhhhh ok, that makes sense. That sounds like quite the setup.

db
    I didn't see oil Temps over 200 all throughout last Schuh's mountain runs

My Cars
    '95 M3 '00 M Coupe
    I didn't see oil Temps over 200 all throughout last Schuh's mountain runs
    that's really good. How much did the custom cooler run you?

db
    [oo]|[||][||]|[oo]
    (<oo\(||][||)/oo>)

My Cars
    00 Mshoe
    that's really good. How much did the custom cooler run you?

db
    Right around what the extra cap "OEM" one they offer was. I don't recall off hand.

My Cars
    Audi B8.5 S4
    Right around what the extra cap "OEM" one they offer was. I don't recall off hand.
    The high-cap S54-mount cooler is ~$400 + shipping.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Yep. $399. Plus, of course, the matching radiator.

/.randy

My Cars
    1994 325i sedan
    FYI - I ended up dumping the rallyroad cap and extra gear to do an S54 oil cooler and filter housing. Cleaned things up a bit and isn't conflicting with the supercharger as installed, or the catch can..

Peter
    --
    '94 //M325i Saloon - Too much money spent between UUC, Turner, and Dinan. 258.6 @ 6psi with a bad exhaust.

My Cars
    Coupes...
    Quote Originally Posted by peterdawolf View Post
    FYI - I ended up dumping the rallyroad cap and extra gear to do an S54 oil cooler and filter housing. Cleaned things up a bit and isn't conflicting with the supercharger as installed, or the catch can..

Peter
    Because I am lazy, is there a write up anywhere on the swap? I know its pretty straight forward fitting it but I was curious on where to stick the sender fittings.
    White is Right, Steel Grey is OK, but Estoril is the only color that truly matters.

I like Coupes.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe, 02 Z3 2.5
    The lazy approach is probably just going in and doing it. Searching and reading would probably take longer. Everything is cut and paste. The only thing that I modified was the S-52 fan shroud. Had I gotten an S-54 it would have been plug and play but since my fan is on the shelf, I didn't feel like ponying up the dough for something I didn't need.
    1999 M Coupe Boston Green, Beige, H&R/Bilsteins, Underdrive Pulleys, Euro 6 speed, UUC SSK and Randy Forbes in the back
    2002 2.5 Z3 roadster Oxford Green, auto, all stock
    2013 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Dually 385 HP, 850 ft lbs torque at 1600 rpm, all stock and staying that way
    2004 Mini Cooper Chili Red, daily driver, modified almost daily

My Cars
    Audi B8.5 S4
    Quote Originally Posted by mpire View Post
    Because I am lazy, is there a write up anywhere on the swap? I know its pretty straight forward fitting it but I was curious on where to stick the sender fittings.
    My install write-up is one of my signature block links: HERE

You may be able to do all of this without removing the cooling system, but you'll have more room if you do. Also, why not upgrade to a Stewart WP while you're at it (unless you already have...)?

In a nutshell:
    Drain oil.
    Remove underpanel.
    Remove airbox.
    Remove belts.
    Remove alternator assembly and attachments.
    Remove oil filter housing cap and filter.
    Remove oil filter housing from block.
    Clean and inspect block/new housing mating surfaces.
    Install gasket into new housing.
    Install whatever manner of oil distribution block you want for relocating the oil pressure sender (I used a Forbes part) to the filter housing.
    Install new housing.
    Install oil cooler.
    Install oil cooler lines.
    Install the rest in reverse order.

I also had to reverse the VANOS feed line due the the angle of the banjo fittings and the orientation of the distribution block.
    Last edited by BMWBergy; 05-01-2017 at 01:03 PM.

My Cars
    z3
    I have an S54 oil filter housing, was considering using an e34 euro diesel oil cooler.

Anyone else tried something like this? I know its not the same as the other options, but these can be found for really cheap. Smaller surface area I realize, but just having an oil cooler increases oil capacity and any cooling is better than none. I figure with the s54 OFH I just need to run some lines to this guy and it'd be better than nothing? Thoughts?
    Last edited by BimmerBreaker; 05-28-2018 at 03:43 PM.

My Cars
    ‘98 MRoadster SC
    Alright guys, so just finished installing an oil cooler in the MRoadster. Had some confusion as it already had the "euro" oil filter housing installed to feed the vf engineering supercharger as well as the vanos line. So I had 2 returns open but no outlets. I did as much research as I could and wasn't sure whether or not the oil cap cooler would work BUT IT DOES!
    Photo Mar 22, 7 43 18 PM.jpg
    Second Problem I faced was where to mount the damn thing. I live in vegas and this is an 80% track car 20% weekend car so wanted to retain the factory air conditioning system and aux fan which left no room for a cooler in front. The right side pod for the brake cooling had been filled with the intake for the supercharger so that left me with the left pod as my only option unless I wanted to run the smaller s54 radiator with the stock cooler but given that I track this car and the supercharger isn't intercooled I opted for the Mishimoto 10 row oil cooler which JUST fit.

Photo Mar 22, 7 43 41 PM.jpgPhoto Mar 21, 3 13 03 PM.jpg
    Ran the lines and tested the system for leaks and everything is working great. I'd consistently see 260-270 degrees Fahrenheit oil temps on track when it was about 70 outside if I ran when it was 90 degrees ambient the coolant would start to creep up to 215 degrees Fahrenheit range. Excited to test this out and glad that the rally road cap works with the euro/s54 cooler.
    Photo Mar 23, 9 12 44 AM.jpg
    Before
    Photo Aug 27, 2 41 50 PM.jpg

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast