Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Sneezy's 540 Adventure

My Cars
    Fives
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba966 View Post
    So you got M-Cloth/Alcantara seats? and trying to decide on the rest of the interior?
    Aye. The package tray is toast and must be replaced, the rest of the interior is good with a little TLC but it all has to match and it is something I only want to do once. I think the hardest part will be getting material that does, in fact, match. Nearly impossible to do by looking at swatches over the internet. Hell, I thought it was the lighter gray Alcantara right up until Tyler delivered it. I was thrilled to see it was actually the darker color and in better than expected condition. Big win in my opinion.

I am still in research mode and there really isn't anybody out here in the sticks that I can go talk to about it but I will figure it out.
    Last edited by Sneezy; 01-20-2013 at 11:39 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Layne View Post
    I can't speculate on what would cause the POOP alarm, but I would recommend pulling over immediately.

Specialization is for insects

My Cars
    '91 M5
    In my opinion (so feel free to stop reading right now), I would not try and match it. Even if you spent a ton of money on some reproduction stuff, I would bet it would still be off just enough to bother you. I would rewrap it all in a simple black fabric - no suede, no alcantara, nothing that would warrant attention. Leave it black and let the seats get all of the focus.
    Current Fleet:
    E34 1991 M5 Macaoblau on Complete (ruined)Leather Champagne - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1705166

Past:
    E34 1989 535i 5-Speed AlpineweissII on Natur - Parted
    E34 1992 525i 5-Speed Islandgrun on Pergament - Parted
    E34 1995 540i 6-Speed ShwarzII on Shwarz - Sold to Sneezy.
    E34 1995 525i 5-Speed Calypso Red on Parchment - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1748143 - Sold locally.
    E39 1998 528i 5-Speed Black on Black - Sold locally.
    E34​ 1993 M5 Alpinweiss on Black - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...lpinweissII-M5 - Parted

My Cars
    Fives
    Probably a lot safer than trying to match up 15 year old material, true.

I'd probably have to dye the carpet black as well, but I was thinking that would also have to be done with the dark gray headliner anyway.
    Last edited by Sneezy; 01-20-2013 at 12:35 PM.
    I can't speculate on what would cause the POOP alarm, but I would recommend pulling over immediately.

My Cars
    95 540i/6 07 cibic si
    I'm with Trevor on that one.

Sneezy, does the rubber piece that's flimsyly strewn across the intake manifold bother you? As much of an eyesore as my bay is, that piece always jumps out at me. I'm thinking about trying something custom there.

My Cars
    Fives
    You mean the rubber bit that connects the electronics for the injectors? Yeah, they muffed that up pretty badly. GM did a much better job but in the engineers' defense they knew there would be an acoustic cover hiding all of that.

I run the cover, so it bothers me not at all.

My Cars
    95 540iA M-Sport & 525iT
    You think about ordering up the package tray that's been pre-cut for the power rear sunshade and installing that?

My package tray is kinda faded, so instead of cutting mine for the power sun shade I figured I'd just order up a new one that's already cut.
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build
    OEM additions include Euro trim, passenger seat mounted first aid kit, tool kit warning triangle, clears all around, black chrome exhaust tips, spare tire well gas can, and rear armrest fridge.

Waiting for install is an adjustable lumbar support, & drivers side glove box...

My Cars
    Fives
    I have never even thought about adding the sunshade, honestly. Aren't they rare air items? I know Pavel has one in his car, but don't recall ever seeing one for sale.

My Cars
    95 540iA M-Sport & 525iT
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneezy View Post
    I have never even thought about adding the sunshade, honestly. Aren't they rare air items? I know Pavel has one in his car, but don't recall ever seeing one for sale.
    They're kinda rare, yeah. I might have the stuff around to put together a second power sun shade set...
    OEM additions include Euro trim, passenger seat mounted first aid kit, tool kit warning triangle, clears all around, black chrome exhaust tips, spare tire well gas can, and rear armrest fridge.

Waiting for install is an adjustable lumbar support, & drivers side glove box...

My Cars
    Fives
    Well now, do tell.

My Cars
    95 540iA M-Sport & 525iT
    I got a mostly complete setup from Joel a year or so ago. And then I got super lucky and managed to pull one out of a yard. Wasn't fun to pull the one out of the yard, but I got the whole entire thing. Never saw one in the yard before, or since.

If I had my M-Sport at my house I would've messed with them enough by now to make sure they both worked and were complete. Not sure if the Touring has the power connector in it to plug the shade's harness into it so I can test out both setups.

So, if you're not in a hurry I'll put your name on one of 'em. I'm just not sure how long it'd take me to mess with them and make sure they're both ok and working properly.

My Cars
    Fives
    Cool, I definitely would like to have one. Like I said, never really considered it because I never see them, but if it is a possibility then hell yeah.

My Cars
    95 540iA M-Sport & 525iT
    Ok, I'll give you first crack at the spare when I get them sorted out.

Want any driver's side glove box parts? Got spares in black...

(in case you didn't notice yet I've got a few parts sitting around. )

My Cars
    Fives
    The driver's side glove box is actually on my to do list, yes. PM me what you got and what you need for them. I'll probably take it off your hands.

My Cars
    Scrap
    about dang time for this thread

My Cars
    Fives
    I am just about convinced that I will be reversing course on the suspension. I had my heart set on using a GC kit on this car for a few reasons.

All inclusive. By the time you add up everything you get it isn't that much more expensive than springs and dampers with all new components and camber adjusters.

Complete adjustability.

Cool factor.

Alas, I spent my coil money on the M-Cloth interior. One of the reasons I was willing to do that is while I was going through the parts bin I found probably 80% of the miscellaneous parts needed to rehab all four corners already here, NIB. I also really do not NEED the coils, it isn't like I will be tracking the car. Once I have a ride height I am happy with and the car driving the way I want it will likely stay that way ad infinitum.

I still want adjustable dampers, that is a must. Yeah, maybe I do not need them but want is what this car is about so there it is. I have a set of NIB Lowtec 60/40 springs out there, but 60mm is just a little lower than I want the nose. I have those on the 525 and they tend to crash a bit on larger bumps. I thought about getting some 45mm fronts from Mel to make a 45/40 drop but I believe I am going to give Spax a try. Their kit for these cars is 40/40 with adjustable dampers (and here is the selling point to me) that can be changed without removing them from the car. Also, I don't know of anybody here running them outside of the Moosehead guys so I figure what the heck? I'll be a guinea pig.

I haven't had any luck finding out what the spring rates are for the 540 application, that is the last piece of the puzzle. I will send an email off to the folks at Moosehead and see what they say. Honestly, I doubt it will be that different than any of the other vendors out there, so will be fine.

I have a set of strut tubes I will have powder coated and mount up all new wheel bearings and such. That should be an adventure in itself.

Why now, you ask? Why not wait until you have saved up the coin for the GCs? Well, the brakes are nearly done and I will have a goodly part of all four corners disassembled to install those. Feel free to post some of your pics if you want to, Jon.

As stated, I do not really NEED coils for this application.

I want the car more low like yesterday.

Probably will take the strut tubes to the powder coater this afternoon since I am off and it appears I have a free day. Red? Purple? Hot pink? Stay tuned.
    Last edited by Sneezy; 01-21-2013 at 10:02 AM.

My Cars
    '91 M5
    We know you Sneezy. You do NEED coils. Don't kid yourself that you will be happy without the ability to have full adjustability.
    Current Fleet:
    E34 1991 M5 Macaoblau on Complete (ruined)Leather Champagne - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1705166

Past:
    E34 1995 525i 5-Speed Calypso Red on Parchment - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1748143 - Sold locally.
    E34​ 1993 M5 Alpinweiss on Black - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...lpinweissII-M5 - Parted

My Cars
    Scrap
    I've got GC coil specific camber plates you can have cheap if you decide to go that way.

My Cars
    E46 M3
    Dont believe the coilover hype on a street car. Once the ride height is set and the dampers dialed in, whats to adjust? Maybe some fine tuning with the provided shocks/struts would be nice. In my mind if your not slamming the car, valve tuning is the only advantage with coilovers.

I think your thought process is simalar to mine. I went with LowTech 45/30 on my touring without spring pads in the front. Net was 51/30. For me the front ride height was perfect. I should have chosen the 40mm rears.

I think if you go spax without pads you will be happy.
    Maybe Spax springs, no front pads, and Koni's will be ideal.

My Cars
    BMWs
    Am I the only one who re-balances the car depending on what groceries are in it?

My Cars
    E46 M3
    yea....

My Cars
    Fives
    Quote Originally Posted by TGreene View Post
    We know you Sneezy. You do NEED coils. Don't kid yourself that you will be happy without the ability to have full adjustability.
    lol, you may be right.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve547i View Post
    I've got GC coil specific camber plates you can have cheap if you decide to go that way.
    Kewl. Thanks man.

Quote Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post
    Dont believe the coilover hype on a street car. Once the ride height is set and the dampers dialed in, whats to adjust? Maybe some fine tuning with the provided shocks/struts would be nice. In my mind if your not slamming the car, valve tuning is the only advantage with coilovers.

I think your thought process is simalar to mine. I went with LowTech 45/30 on my touring without spring pads in the front. Net was 51/30. For me the front ride height was perfect. I should have chosen the 40mm rears.

I think if you go spax without pads you will be happy.
    Maybe Spax springs, no front pads, and Koni's will be ideal.
    What I like about the Spax dampers is that the rears are adjustable without taking them off. There may be a reason Koni prefers not to do that, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
    Am I the only one who re-balances the car depending on what groceries are in it?
    Doesn't everybody keep a set of scales strapped in the trunk?
    Last edited by Sneezy; 01-21-2013 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    '91 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneezy View Post
    What I like about the Spax dampers is that the rears are adjustable without taking them off. There may be a reason Koni prefers not to do that, I don't know.
    I did not know that. That is a really cool feature.
    Current Fleet:

Past:

My Cars
    Fives
    Looks like I will have a free weekend this, so I am planning to yank the bushings out of the spare subframe using the tool I rented from Greg. That shouldn't take long since the unit isn't in the car.

Then, dread. I am going to get her back up on stands and have a look at what is going on with the power steering. I have a low mileage servtronic box from an M car that I would like to swap in, but I don't know. The thought of tackling that one laying on my back is daunting. The first step is to see where this new zero pressure leak has come from and go from there.

My Cars
    E46 M3
    Good luck on the box swap....

My Cars
    540i/6 M-sport GA65474
    Did you ever contact Sneed? I have an adjustable rear subframe they can use as a reference to weld yours up. PM me.

Gone but not forgotten:
    '95 540i/6 M-Sport. GA65474. Alpineweiss/Parchment.
    Supercharger project

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast