Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm writing an OBDII app for Android, please help me test it!

My Cars
    1992 750iL highline

I'm writing an OBDII app for Android, please help me test it!

'Sup everyone,

I'm writing an app for Android that reads and resets OBD2 trouble codes. Nothing revolutionary, just a simple and easy-to-use app that shows you any current trouble codes and allows you to reset them. It also shows you system test status ("ready" or "not ready" for emission testing) for each component. Future versions will have more interesting functionality, but for now I just wanna have a good simple working product.

You need an ELM327 Bluetooth dongle to use this app. If you've used any other OBD2 apps (for example, "Torque"), they all work with the same ELM327 dongle.

If you already have an ELM327 Bluetooth dongle, please try my app and let me know if it worked for your devices and your vehicle. It would be extra useful to me if your "check engine" light is on. Any 1996 or newer US-market vehicle should work (doesn't have to be a BMW). Or for European-market vehicles, we need them to be 2001 or newer for gasoline and 2004 or newer for diesel vehicles. If you have multiple cars, please try the app with all of them - I would greatly appreciate it!

If you're interested, post a reply here and I'll send you a PM with a link to the app.

Thanks a lot!

EDIT: We're now adding BMW-specific diagnostics support in the app! (only for 2007+ models) Please let me know if you're willing to try it!
    Last edited by todor; 06-27-2014 at 04:52 AM.

My Cars
    1996 BMW M3

odbII Testing

I would love to test your app, android, right?

My Cars
    E39's, E53, E60.........
    Would like to give it a shot. Will report back with results.

Sent from Latvia using Potato.

My Cars
    2003 325i E46
    I'm definitely interested and have a 2003 325i E46 with a check engine light on and also a transmission in emergency mode and the dash alert light on.

I have a Galaxy 3 and if this is the correct tool I will buy it to test your app:

amazon.com/ELM327-Bluetooth-Diagnostic-Scanner-Scantool/dp/B0051CAE1C I also found this one:

.elm327-bluetooth.com
    Last edited by Compstuff; 01-21-2013 at 10:17 AM.

My Cars
    1992 750iL highline
    Quote Originally Posted by Compstuff View Post
    I'm definitely interested and have a 2003 325i E46 with a check engine light on and also a transmission in emergency mode and the dash alert light on.

I have a Galaxy 3 and if this is the correct tool I will buy it to test your app:

amazon.com/ELM327-Bluetooth-Diagnostic-Scanner-Scantool/dp/B0051CAE1C I also found this one:

.elm327-bluetooth.com
    Sweet - your car is a great test case for me The Amazon link you've posted looks good - that should work. The other one looks like the right device too.
    I'll send you a PM with the link to my app. Thanks!

Actually, Compstuff, I can't send you private messages because you're too new on the forum. But you can email me at punsoftware [at] gmail.com and I'll send you the link from there.
    Last edited by todor; 01-21-2013 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2003 325i E46
    OK I sent you an email and I already ordered the tool and it shipped already

Quote Originally Posted by todor View Post
    Sweet - your car is a great test case for me The Amazon link you've posted looks good - that should work. The other one looks like the right device too.
    I'll send you a PM with the link to my app. Thanks!

Actually, Compstuff, I can't send you private messages because you're too new on the forum. But you can email me at punsoftware [at] gmail.com and I'll send you the link from there.

My Cars
    '97 328i
    I have an Android phone & tablet. Both are rooted and the tablet is running 4.2.1. I would love to test your app. Willing to buy the dongle...

My Cars
    bmw 2007 320d
    I'm waiting for a Bluetooth dongle to be delivered and would love to try your app. I currently have a 320d e90 2007 with the dreaded DSC/ABS fault!

thanks

joe

My Cars
    1992 750iL highline
    Quote Originally Posted by Compstuff View Post
    OK I sent you an email and I already ordered the tool and it shipped already
    Replied by email.

Quote Originally Posted by sikdogg View Post
    I have an Android phone & tablet. Both are rooted and the tablet is running 4.2.1. I would love to test your app. Willing to buy the dongle...
    Sounds great, let me know when you get the dongle and I'll send you the link. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jmpd999 View Post
    I'm waiting for a Bluetooth dongle to be delivered and would love to try your app. I currently have a 320d e90 2007 with the dreaded DSC/ABS fault!

thanks

joe
    Cool, same goes to you - let me know when you receive it and I'll send you the link to the app. Just so you know though, this version only checks OBD2 codes, so it probably won't show any specific DSC/ABS faults... but who knows, I guess we'll find out Thanks for volunteering and I'm looking forward to the results after you get the dongle.

My Cars
    bmw 2007 320d
    ok, i have the dongle now. if you can pm me the link that would be great.

ta

My Cars
    2003 325i E46
    I have tried the app today and the simplicity is great plus it worked like a charm on my SIII... unfortunately it didn't fix my car lol

My Cars
    1992 750iL highline
    Ok, there's a new version up, please give it a try everyone. It has some huge improvements in vehicle compatibility as well as dongle compatibility. If you've installed a version from a few days ago, you'll need to remove the old version first (just this time; from now on, updates will work fine without needing to uninstall the old versions).

jmpd999, I've just emailed you the link, please let me know how it goes. Thanks!

Compstuff, I saw your email, thanks for testing, glad it worked for you, and I'll reply to you in a moment.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328I
    Making something out of nothing amazes me! Great job todor!

My Cars
    1992 750iL highline
    With the help of a bunch of you guys, I've found a lot of important bugs/issues in my app. Thank you!

As of now, the app should be stable and compatible with all OBD2 cars. I know this is a big claim, and in order to back it up, I need you guys to give the app one more try. Please install the latest version (from the same link as before) and let me know if there are any issues with any car. Thanks again!

(btw, I'm still looking for new people to test it, so if you don't have the link, PM me and I'll send it to you).

My Cars
    BMW 118D 2008
    Hello,

I´m interested to try your diagnostic app.

My Cars
    2012 bmw x3
    I would like to try it out. Thanks.

My Cars
    m3
    if you are still offering i would like to try. thanks
    R.I.P. 328is
    current - 95 m3

My Cars
    1992 750iL highline
    Quote Originally Posted by JUANETE34 View Post
    Hello,

I´m interested to try your diagnostic app.
    You're too new, so I can't message you through the forum. Email me at support@prizmos.com and I'll send you the link.

Quote Originally Posted by taingster View Post
    I would like to try it out. Thanks.
    Same goes to you - just email me.

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzLtYr View Post
    if you are still offering i would like to try. thanks
    I just sent you the link via PM.

Thanks for the interest guys! Anyone else? The app is now very stable and should be compatible with all OBD2 cars and all ELM327 adapters. If you find any cases where it doesn't work, I really want to know!

My Cars
    1992 750iL highline
    Did anyone with a Sony Ericsson LT28h try the app? I got an error report from this device, but the user didn't put in any information, so I don't know who sent it or what vehicle it was on... Please let me know if it was one of you guys. Thanks!

Also, I've just uploaded a new version which is going to be the official release unless we find critical issues with it. There are some changes related to finding and connecting to the right Bluetooth device, so please try it out. You can get it from the same link that I've sent you in the past. It's best if you first uninstall any old versions of Carista so that you can re-test the initial Bluetooth connection sequence. Thanks!

My Cars
    '99 323is, '00 323i 528i
    Could you post up the current version numbers?

Mine did an automatic type update awhile back, but I don't see an option within the software to check for updates.

My Cars
    1992 750iL highline
    The current latest version is 0.1.7 and you can see it if you tap onto the title of the app on the main screen of the app. You can also see it in the Android Settings, under Applications, under Carista.

As of now, there are no automatic updates because the app is not released on Google Play Store yet. Once it is, it will update the same way that all other apps do. For now, you have to manually go to the same link whenever I announce that there is a new version. However, we're really close to release, so this may be the last "unreleased" test version.

Thanks for your help!

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by todor View Post
    As of now, there are no automatic updates because the app is not released on Google Play Store yet.
    You may want to look into HockeyApp for ad-hoc distribution and updates, it is easy to integrate and works well.
    S54 swap DME flashing - $100
    S54 swap CAN interface board (for proper A/C & check engine light) - $275
    e36 SAP sim/secondary air pump simulator:
    $75 - standard or $170 - plug & play
    e36 post-cat O2 sims: $115 shipped, plug & play

My Cars
    E91
    BT Connection very fast, fault codes are not diplayed,but i have 3 existent codes.Sent you log

My Cars
    1991 bmw 850i
    Hey,

I would love to try it out and help you test it. I have an HTC HD7 smart phone. So let me know.

Lowflying08@yahoo.com

My Cars
    1992 750iL highline
    Quote Originally Posted by gpeterson View Post
    You may want to look into HockeyApp for ad-hoc distribution and updates, it is easy to integrate and works well.
    Thanks for the suggestion, but there's no need for that, because when I finish testing, I'll release the app on Google Play Store, which as you know provides automatic update functionality.

Quote Originally Posted by 4711 View Post
    BT Connection very fast, fault codes are not diplayed,but i have 3 existent codes.Sent you log
    Thanks for testing! I got your report (but in the future, please include your usename or email so I know who sent the report). It seems like the ECU is reporting zero codes via OBD2. Is your Check Engine light on? Do other apps like Torque report any codes? Please email me at support@prizmos.com so we can discuss this further. Thanks very much!

Quote Originally Posted by Lowflying08 View Post
    Hey,

I would love to try it out and help you test it. I have an HTC HD7 smart phone. So let me know.

Lowflying08@yahoo.com
    Just emailed you, thanks in advance.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast