BAVToys
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E36: New retro RX350 BiXenon

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS

E36: New retro RX350 BiXenon

Cars being painted so I figured I would tighten up my retro. When doing so I really thought about doing a 3'' lens. Thought about the Murano. I love the projector and the slope. But wanted to go one step above. One of the best projectors on the market right now is the Lexus RX350 BiXenon. So why not just throw it in there. I thought this was going to be a very difficult retro but I pulled out an extra bracket I had to try and give it a go. Sure enough, just a little trimming and it will work...score!

Here are some pictures. I'll update the thread once I have more.

Wondering if I could remove the red circle:

The lens are shipped out to be polished for a clear cut off and color.

My Cars
    97 m3 sedan
    Can't wait to see the output on this one. This looks to be epic.
    Last edited by rohner88; 01-18-2013 at 05:40 PM.
    [CENTER]

My Cars
    04 M3 CB/CIN
    ^ Yeah I love seeing retrofit threads because it gives me something to think about doing at some point in the future. Can't wait also!

My Cars
    2002 330i, 2000 528iT
    Whoa!!
    | 2002 330i 5-SPD - 101k | 2000 528iT - 146k |
    My E46 Maintenance Thread http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1124584

My Cars
    Arctic Silver M3/4, LSB M3
    That should be awesome. I drool on my way home from work when I see a RX350 behind me. The projection and looks is so damn cool looking

My Cars
    98 M3
    Swap for the other retros you made me, lol

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquid10 View Post
    Swap for the other retros you made me, lol
    Ha ha. I guess everything has a price. But seriously, these projectors are hard to find and expensive. I think I'll have over $300 in the projector and lens alone.

My Cars
    1998 E36 M3 Estoril Blue
    What about the brackets? Do you custom make them ? This is an awesome projector ... I wish i had the time to figure out how to install them.
    1998 E36/2/5 S52 Estoril/Dove
    Stage 4+

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS
    Quote Originally Posted by BavarianMotorsp View Post
    What about the brackets? Do you custom make them ? This is an awesome projector ... I wish i had the time to figure out how to install them.
    They are a beta set I had when making the FX-R 3.0 brackets. Another guy has used the stock shroud to mount them to.

My Cars
    95 M3 Turbo, 07 650XChlg
    Where'd you get those those nylon looking spacers?

WTB: E36 ZKW Headlights, ACS Rear Diffuser,E36 M mudflaps front + rear

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS
    Quote Originally Posted by raoke View Post
    Where'd you get those those nylon looking spacers?
    Lowe's. They are in the section where the metric bolts are. most people would use two nuts and I would rather use a solid, fixed point.

My Cars
    e36m3<3 & a e30
    how do these compare to the fx-r's?

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinE36M3 View Post
    how do these compare to the fx-r's?
    First off, I think the FX-R 3.0 is a great projector and would recommend it to just about anyone.

The RX350 biXenon, for the size, is one of the best projectors available. First off it's an OEM projector. Just about any OEM will be of better quality of a replica. There are just stricter requirements. The RX350 has a much intense throw (further down the road) and a little wider, more like a modded RX330 with custom shield. Of course a clear lens is required to achieve most of this. The lens is a 3'' lens so it will provide a little more difficulty as well. Price is what makes this not as great of a value as the FX-R 3.0.

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS
    Update on ballast mounting:

This will be painted black of course

Was about to remove 5mm total rear clearance including the ballast being mounting directly to the housing giving it a more OEM look.

My Cars
    Ruckus.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketMaster View Post
    First off, I think the FX-R 3.0 is a great projector and would recommend it to just about anyone.

The RX350 biXenon, for the size, is one of the best projectors available. First off it's an OEM projector. Just about any OEM will be of better quality of a replica. There are just stricter requirements. The RX350 has a much intense throw (further down the road) and a little wider, more like a modded RX330 with custom shield. Of course a clear lens is required to achieve most of this. The lens is a 3'' lens so it will provide a little more difficulty as well. Price is what makes this not as great of a value as the FX-R 3.0.
    Excuse my ignorance but I assume you mean clear as in no fluted parts to the lens cover around the projector?

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS
    Quote Originally Posted by bfp9 View Post
    Excuse my ignorance but I assume you mean clear as in no fluted parts to the lens cover around the projector?
    Here is the stock lens:

Clear lens:

Lens can be seen here:

My Cars
    Ruckus.
    ^Ah. Thank you very much!

My Cars
    94 MR2, 93 325i LG 4DR
    Awesome! I was thinking about throwing in my bi-x RX-350's with Paleryder's clear lens as well but opted to use them on a different car. Are those brackets the FX-R 3.0 brackets? I'm a bit disappointed with the performance of my FX-R 1.1/SVS/Matsushita Gen IV combo (maybe because the FX-R's tend to yellow output a bit?). I have about twenty hours on my bulbs but haven't noticed much color shifting so I've been thinking about doing yet another retro. It seems I've inadvertently done every retro you've come out with for the E36: MH1 V4.1, FX-R 1.1 and now possibly RX-350, haha.

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS
    Quote Originally Posted by MRunabout View Post
    Awesome! I was thinking about throwing in my bi-x RX-350's with Paleryder's clear lens as well but opted to use them on a different car. Are those brackets the FX-R 3.0 brackets? I'm a bit disappointed with the performance of my FX-R 1.1/SVS/Matsushita Gen IV combo (maybe because the FX-R's tend to yellow output a bit?). I have about twenty hours on my bulbs but haven't noticed much color shifting so I've been thinking about doing yet another retro. It seems I've inadvertently done every retro you've come out with for the E36: MH1 V4.1, FX-R 1.1 and now possibly RX-350, haha.
    LoL. that's so awesome. I am also going to use Bill's polished lens. He's a great guy and does great work.

The brackets you see were some I had laying around. I'll have to see if the FX-R 3.0's can be modified as well. Watch for a 3D printed design soon to make things exact.....:shhhh

About the 1.1's, not a HUGE fan. The bowls have a common issue of peeling and it "could" be something you are experiencing. You have the best bulbs and ballast (other than denso's) that you can get. I think you need to go with the RX350's. If you aren't pleased with those, something is wrong with you

Also, are you running a shroud or cut lens? that makes a HUGE difference if you are having to pass light through 2 thick pieces of glass.

My Cars
    94 MR2, 93 325i LG 4DR
    Yea, I don't think I'll ever go back to a replica setup afterditching these FX-R's. If you make a bracket for the RX-350'sl definitely put my other project on hold and buy your setup, haha. I thought I'd be satisfied with the 1.1's but such is the life of an enthusiast, never happy enough. Haha.

I'm not using a shroud and completely removed the inner lens so the light is only passing through the headlamp lens. Man, youre tempting me to tear the headlamps apart again, haha. Please don't do another retro after the RX-350, my student budget can't handle it. :p
    Last edited by MRunabout; 01-28-2013 at 04:34 PM.

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS
    Quote Originally Posted by MRunabout View Post
    Yea, I don't think I'll ever go back to a replica setup afterditching these FX-R's. If you make a bracket for the RX-350'sl definitely put my other project on hold and buy your setup, haha. I thought I'd be satisfied with the 1.1's but such is the life of an enthusiast, never happy enough. Haha.

I'm not using a shroud and completely removed the inner lens so the light is only passing through the headlamp lens. Man, youre tempting me to tear the headlamps apart again, haha. Please don't do another retro after the RX-350, my student budget can't handle it. :p
    ha ha. I'll be cutting the inner lens to accept the projector so it has an OEM finished look. It looks like I might have to find a different engineer to help with my CAD and design work. What I am looking to create is somewhat universal mounting to where you can cut to fit.

My Cars
    94 MR2, 93 325i LG 4DR
    That sounds like an interesting idea. Multi projector E36 retro brackets? Pretty badass!

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS
    If anyone is interested, I am selling this set of projectors. I actually got a set of US RX350's that the bowls aren't as perfect. I'm going to use those. From what I know, there is no difference from the EU and US. $225 shipped.

As you can see needs a clear lens:

Last edited by MarketMaster; 01-28-2013 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS
    going more "OEM". These are the OEM RX350 shrouds I painted matte black. Thinking of using these rather than the cut lens

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS
    going more "OEM". These are the OEM RX350 shrouds I painted matte black. Thinking of using these rather than the cut lens

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast