Thread: `83-`85 BMW/Alpine Radio - E21, E23, E24, E28, E30

My Cars
    93 525i 84 533i

`83-`85 BMW/Alpine Radio - E21, E23, E24, E28, E30

For Sale: 1983-1985 BMW/Alpine CM5804 Radio - used in 1983-1985 US-spec models: 320i, 318i, 325e, 524td, 533i, 535i, 633csi, 635csi, 733i, 735i. According to the BMW CM5800/CM5804 installation instructions I've seen, this radio could be installed in the E12 528i too.

Note: The CM5800 BMW/Alpine Radio is virtually identical, except it says "BMW" on the cassette door and has a "DX" button. The CM5804 seen here, has a BMW Roundel on the cassette door, which is more arguably more attractive and desirable, and a "SCAN" button instead of a "DX" button. The CM5800 lacks the lights on the channel preset buttons, which the CM5804 has, as seen here. The CM5804 has slightly slicker and more discreet-looking buttons and sliders than the CM5800.

If you are a purist and want your `83-`85 BMW to look proper, stock and period-correct, this radio will make your dash complete. This radio was designed to compliment the styling of 1983-1985 BMW dashboards unlike today's aftermarket radios.

AM/FM Cassette Alpine radio made for BMW. No code/anti-theft deterrent. Excellent Condition.

Radio is complete with face-frame which is rare - most will not have frames which will leave an unsightly gap between the perimeter of the radio and the dash.

All lights, and functions work (Presets, Dolby, Loud, MTL, Memory, Scan, Eject, Down/Up Tune). The preset buttons all illuminate. Channel Seek function and Auto-Reverse works by pushing volume knob. Tape Player plays perfectly (speed and sound quality). No crackling or static sound when turning the volume knob - common on many radios. FF and RWD are fast and flawless. All sliders (bass, treble, L/R balance) work perfectly. Display is excellent. All connectors are clean.

Radio serviced by Dr. Don's in Texas in 2007 for $135 (see photo receipt). Removed from my 1984 533i in 2008 prior to restoration. Non-Smoker and Non-Pet car. Stored in plastic-zip bag inside cabinet (away from light at room temp). Pre `86 BMW radios are quite rare today. $225 OBO.

Last edited by E28E34; 10-15-2021 at 09:17 PM.

My Cars
    93 525i 84 533i
    bump

My Cars
    93 525i 84 533i
    bump

My Cars
    93 525i 84 533i
    Lowered to $225.

My Cars
    93 525i 84 533i
    Bump.

My Cars
    E9, E10, E30, E34, E38s
    Hi, I want to buy this radio. But I have some questions:

- Is this a CM5907 (like in the repair certificate) or a CM5804? In the pictures I can't see on the radio.
    - Is this radio a correct model to put in the E30's dashboard (325e 1985)? Or it will be out of the dash?
    - This radio really work fully?

Best regards
    Leonardo Henderson

My Cars
    95 Spec 3, 83 320i, 128i

My Cars
    93 525i 84 533i
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorTaylor View Post
    Do you still have this by chance?
    Yes, I still have it. Sealed and stored in a dark closet at room temperature for years now. It needs a good home/BMW to go into.
    Last edited by E28E34; 05-31-2021 at 05:49 PM.

My Cars
    93 525i 84 533i
    Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    Hi, I want to buy this radio. But I have some questions:

- Is this a CM5907 (like in the repair certificate) or a CM5804? In the pictures I can't see on the radio.
    - Is this radio a correct model to put in the E30's dashboard (325e 1985)? Or it will be out of the dash?
    - This radio really work fully?

Best regards
    Leonardo Henderson
    Yes this radio fully worked prior to removal in 2008, as indicated in my description.

It is a CM5804 BMW Alpine Radio. The radio restoration company typed CM5907 on the repair certificate. That was an error. They should have typed CM5804.

The CM5907 is a radio BMW used in 1986-1987 models with the anti-theft system and code. These are much more common.

This CM5804 BMW Alpine Radio will not stick-out of the dash of an E30. It was made for the E21, E23, E24, E28 and E30 - as stated in my description. The `85 325e came with this radio. Aftermarket, non-period-correct, or non-BMW radios often stick-out of an E30 dash or the E21, E23, E24 and E28.

I used to work at BMW North America and know these cars and this time-period very well.

This radio also comes with the black plastic frame-surround, which if missing, like 95% of them are, will leave an unsightly gap around the perimeter of the radio and dash.
    Last edited by E28E34; 05-31-2021 at 07:48 PM.

My Cars
    1984 325e
    Alright. So I own one of those 1985 325e's with the Alpine CM5804 radio you referenced in your post on 5/31 and I am hoping maybe you can provide some radio advice.

The car had been stored, inside, for 10 years when I bought it 2/2020. I have done lots of work on it in the past 15 mos (everything from timing belt to suspension to seat struts) and it is now running and somewhat sorted. Next on my list is to try to get the stock Alpine CM5804 radio working.

The radio powers up when I rotate the volume knob to turn it on, however, nothing appears on the face of the radio other than a few tiny lights; no "CODE" or any other message appears on the screen. I have the serial number and am on my way to the local BMW dealer this morning to get whatever code I can find, but need help with the steps to input the code.

1. Does this radio model even have a security lock-out feature (or is it too old)?
    2. Do I need to press something to get the radio ready to receive the code?
    3. If it has a code, what are the steps to enter the code?
    4. Any other ideas of what might be wrong? The unit powers up, I hear a faint "crackle" from the speakers, but no volume and no lights/info on the screen. Just the tiny lights that say "am/fa," I think.

Thank you for ANY advice. The car is basically all original with no rust. I am enjoying getting to use it now and am hoping to get the darn radio working before I start on the no-functioning air conditioning.

- - - Updated - - -

Correction: My car is a 1984 325e. (Just realized I typed the wrong year in my post above.) January 1984 build date (an early US E30). Not sure if that makes a difference, but wanted to be accurate just in case.

My Cars
    1984 325e
    Update: I went by the dealer and they confirmed that my radio pre-dates the anti-theft security code lock-out feature of the late-80s.

So now I have a non-working Alpine CM5804 radio that I need to troubleshoot. It turns on, but doesn't have any volume nor any radio frequencies/stations displayed on the screen.

I'd appreciate any DIY suggestions before I break down and take it to a radio shop and just have them diagnose the problem.

Thank you.

My Cars
    93 525i 84 533i
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryE39 View Post
    Update: I went by the dealer and they confirmed that my radio pre-dates the anti-theft security code lock-out feature of the late-80s.

So now I have a non-working Alpine CM5804 radio that I need to troubleshoot. It turns on, but doesn't have any volume nor any radio frequencies/stations displayed on the screen.

I'd appreciate any DIY suggestions before I break down and take it to a radio shop and just have them diagnose the problem.

Thank you.
    Yes, no codes on these pre `86 radios. It's likely a board issue and possibly a screen issue as well. Age and heat are culprits. It will need to serviced at a reputable place. The BMW radio in my E34 started having the volume cut-out/turn-off about 2 yrs. ago. It did it more and more, and then it was out for good. 1st the tape-deck stopped a few months before. The repair shop did a full overhaul and cleaning. The boards need to be cleaned and rebuilt. It's worth it, as a period-correct BMW radio completes the look of the dash like nothing else. There's a sense of pride when it all works and looks the way it was meant to.

My Cars
    1984 325e
    Thank you so much for the reply. I agree with everything you said about trying to salvage the period-correct radio. (Plus, where else would I find a new radio with a cassette player so I can listen to the few "period-correct" tapes I still have laying around?)

If you don't mind my asking, what did your local "reputable" radio repair shop charge you to service your radio and what city are you in/near? (I am trying to gauge cost-of-living adjustments for radio repairs in different parts of the country. I am in the Atlanta area.)

Thanks again.

My Cars
    93 525i 84 533i
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryE39 View Post
    Thank you so much for the reply. I agree with everything you said about trying to salvage the period-correct radio. (Plus, where else would I find a new radio with a cassette player so I can listen to the few "period-correct" tapes I still have laying around?)

If you don't mind my asking, what did your local "reputable" radio repair shop charge you to service your radio and what city are you in/near? (I am trying to gauge cost-of-living adjustments for radio repairs in different parts of the country. I am in the Atlanta area.)

Thanks again.
    Thank you for the reply. So glad I can be of help. I totally understand that.... I'm still living in the 20th century when it comes to movies, music and cars. Most my cassettes from childhood still play well, and it's a neat feeling to have them play in a car and radio from the era. I'm in CT, and there are no places in the northeast that will do this type of work. I'm around 1.3 hrs. from NYC. Most vintage radio places are in CA - but only 1 impressed me (see below). Heard about some place in FL too on forums.

My radio above, in this ad, and my E34 radio, were all serviced at Dr. Don's in Huntsville, TX. One of the most reputable, respected vintage car radio repair places in the country. Heard this from BMW CCA's Mike Miller for over 15 yrs., and read this on an E30 forum, regarding repairing 80s BMW Radios. Sadly, like so many things, the servicing prices have more than doubled since 2007, when I had the E28 radio repaired. To do the E34's radio in 2019, was $300. My understanding is that Don was an engineer at JVC, I think, back in the 80s/early 90s. He's quite passionate and about these radios, and holds them in higher regard than "the junk" made from the late 90s onward, as he said.

I came across another place via a Porsche forum, where they were recommending a radio repair shop called Germany Auto Radio Repair in N. Hollywood, CA. I spoke with the owner Hernan, who was nice and knowledgeable. He was charging 1/2 of what I paid at Dr. Don's. Read positive reviews too about this place. Similar to Dr. Don's he has many old radios and parts unlike other places. I had a new old-stock display put in my E34 radio from Dr. Don's. I called back and was mesmerized by the display qualities and he said, I probably have the last new old stock display, and it's now in your radio. A nice feeling for sure. I'd recommend either place, but have only had 1st hand experience with Dr. Don's who repaired the E28 radio, E34 radio and cd-changer.

On a side-note, I did have some issues with the E34 radio getting the correct tape-speed. I had to send it back 2x to get it corrected. This was not the case on the E28 radio. So setting the right speed on a cassette deck can be quite tricky. Even when using professional equipment. Doing it the old fashioned way is also necessary, which is what had to be done the last time. Starting the same song on a tape and cd at the start time, and listening to them simultaneously until the end. Tapes by the way, play 1-1.5 seconds faster compared to a CD, on the identical standard length 3 min. 30 sec. song. I tested this with my home stereos, radios and the the car radio. If by the end, the tape's song ends 3-5 sec. earlier than the CD's song, the tape is playing too fast. You can tell anyways by the higher tempo and tone of the singer.
    Last edited by E28E34; 06-19-2021 at 05:13 PM.

My Cars
    '85 635csi
    Is this still available?

My Cars
    93 525i 84 533i
    Quote Originally Posted by maccaviti View Post
    Is this still available?
    Yes it is.

My Cars
    '85 635csi
    Quote Originally Posted by E28E34 View Post
    Yes it is.
    Excellent - will PM you, thanks.
    1985 635csi

My Cars
    '85 635csi
    Quote Originally Posted by E28E34 View Post
    Yes it is.
    Great - could you please let me know a good way to reach you? Email perhaps? Thanks
    1985 635csi

My Cars
    93 525i 84 533i
    SOLD for $225 + shipping.