Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Z3 Wide Body

Z3speed4me is offline Coupe Cartel Forever! BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    MCoupe, Q3, Tiguan
    This is just the stuff dreams are made of!

~Ken~ '99 M coupe THE "original" TT Stage 3 - HTA3586R; 701 whp 672 wtq @ 26.5 psi ; NeverSell - CoupeCartel

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    very cool. Glad to see progress is still happening on this.

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe
    Awesome work and a LOT of it. You should sell a kit, recover some of that time you put in.

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe individual
    Certainly interesting project.

Thank god there was finally a proper rear diffuser at the rear end. I was horrified until that showed.

But why not carbon fiber? You have molds and it would really only make sense. EDIT: I found out why.
    Last edited by Remotion; 04-11-2016 at 07:28 PM.

Z3 & E36 RamAir systems, send private message for more information.

My Cars
    3 - E30 M3s, '04 Ford F350, '06 Audi A3
    Just looking in on his thread. Very very cool stuff. A lot of patience and skill gone into this project.

If you don't mind a question,,, who did the fabrication on your rear trailing arms and subframe (conversion to rod ends).
    I have that project sitting on a bench about ready to start (its been ready to start for about 2 years at least).

If you are willing to share the info I'd appreciate any details of the process you used and / or who did the mods if you farmed it out, or any more detailed photos.
    Thanks in advance.
    jimmy p.
    jimmy p.

88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - street
    88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - SCCA SPU
    87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car 2.0 Litre
    04 Ford F350 - V10
    06 Audi A3 Brilliant Red / 2.0 / DSG

My Cars
    Mini Cooper S, C-Mod Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmypet View Post
    Just looking in on his thread. Very very cool stuff. A lot of patience and skill gone into this project.

If you don't mind a question,,, who did the fabrication on your rear trailing arms and subframe (conversion to rod ends).
    I have that project sitting on a bench about ready to start (its been ready to start for about 2 years at least).

If you are willing to share the info I'd appreciate any details of the process you used and / or who did the mods if you farmed it out, or any more detailed photos.
    Thanks in advance.
    jimmy p.
    Send me a private message.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Calaway16 View Post
    What A-arms are these? Is there an advantage to the design?
    '99 M Coupe Supercharged autox/track toy* available for purchase, 2016 MX5 Miata daily driven, '11 Mazdaspeed 3 - dog hauler

*///Monster Coupe: FH/Race USA custom widebody front, 18 X 10.5 et 27 Apex EC-7 wheels 285/30/18
    Active Autowerks Super Charger C30-94- 300 whp, SnowPerf Water Alcohol injection, AA Track Pipe, Supertrapp Exhaust, Ground Control double adj struts, Adj RD sway bars front and rear, Quaife 3.64 Torque Biasing LSD, Recaro Pole Position seats, HMS Harness Bar & Schroth 5pt & 4 pt Harness

My Cars
    BMWs: 1; MINIs: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by kabel View Post
    What A-arms are these? Is there an advantage to the design?
    They are modifications of the stock trailing arms. The advantage is that you can adjust the alignment without messing up the pivot axis, unlike other mechanisms like eccentric bushings or moving the mounting points.
    I like the unicorns.
    '99 Z3 Coupe - Jet Black/Black (1-of-114)
    '99 M Coupe - Estoril Blue/Black (1-of-82)
    '03 540iT - Sterling Gray/Black (1-of-24)
    '16 Z4 sDrive35i - Estoril Blue/Walnut (1-of-8)

My Cars
    99 M Coupe
    Can someone point me in a direction to find more info about that a-arm modification?
    I am VERY interested in this.
    '99 M Coupe Supercharged autox/track toy* available for purchase, 2016 MX5 Miata daily driven, '11 Mazdaspeed 3 - dog hauler

*///Monster Coupe: FH/Race USA custom widebody front, 18 X 10.5 et 27 Apex EC-7 wheels 285/30/18
    Active Autowerks Super Charger C30-94- 300 whp, SnowPerf Water Alcohol injection, AA Track Pipe, Supertrapp Exhaust, Ground Control double adj struts, Adj RD sway bars front and rear, Quaife 3.64 Torque Biasing LSD, Recaro Pole Position seats, HMS Harness Bar & Schroth 5pt & 4 pt Harness

My Cars
    99 M Coupe
    a closer look at the photo it seems he is still utilizing the IE engineering toe & camber system. I was hoping that the use of the spherical bearing along with some other mechanism would negate the need of the camber/toe plates and eccentric bolts.

My Cars
    3 - E30 M3s, '04 Ford F350, '06 Audi A3
    Quote Originally Posted by kabel View Post
    a closer look at the photo it seems he is still utilizing the IE engineering toe & camber system. I was hoping that the use of the spherical bearing along with some other mechanism would negate the need of the camber/toe plates and eccentric bolts.
    It can be eliminated it you implement the 1st gen E30M3 Gruppe A rear subframe modifications, but that takes it to another level of fabrication.
    Retaining the more common eccentric bolt / slotted hole adjustments at the subframe makes the project very much easier.
    Not sure how familiar you are with E30 M3 Gruppe A rear subframes and trailing arms but its pretty well documented on the various E30 M3 sites.
    jimmy p.

88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - street
    88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - SCCA SPU
    87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car 2.0 Litre
    04 Ford F350 - V10
    06 Audi A3 Brilliant Red / 2.0 / DSG

My Cars
    99 M Coupe
    Thank you Jimmy! This is only the second time someone has mentioned that to me. I need to go research that out.
    I am not happy with this eccentric bolt system on this subframe. It works, but it is a PIA to access to adjust or even just ensure it is tight. After having one of the nuts back off I lack confidence in tracking the car.

- - - Updated - - -

correction. this is the second time I've heard about this from YOU!

I just realized who you are ;-)

My Cars
    14 ATS, 2001 Cobra
    dear god

My Cars
    1999 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory M
    Looking good. If you spend some time making quality molds you could probably make some extra parts to sell. That's what I've done with the 911's I race and it helps pay for all the entry fees and tires (shipping is a pain though).
    Quote Originally Posted by Calaway16 View Post
    That might be an option. Unfortunately, i'm not sure what demand there is for full race Z3 coupe parts. I haven't really thought about this being streetable at all. You'd have to live in some place without speed bumps, potholes, roundabouts, cul-de-sacs, etc... In any case, I plan on investing a significant amount of work into the molds since this is racing, and contact happens.
    Is there a possibility to have any of these body pieces made for a price? I'm building a M coupe for the track that had a front end accident and I need to replace these pieces. You have done a great job and I love to get my hands on these. I sent you a PM as well. Thanks
    Last edited by skylrk62; 06-08-2016 at 11:07 PM.

My Cars
    1999 M Coupe
    bump

My Cars
    1999 M Coupe
    bump

My Cars
    '99 M3 '10 X5 35d '02 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by skylrk62 View Post
    bump
    He doesn't check this thread that often so the bumps won't do much. Best to send a PM and play the waiting game.

My Cars
    E36
    I'm glad someone brought this back from the dead. Wasn't a part of bimmerforums when this thread was started and just realized OP also lives in Blacksburg. I need to see this thing asap!

My Cars
    2005 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw328m52 View Post
    I'm glad someone brought this back from the dead. Wasn't a part of bimmerforums when this thread was started and just realized OP also lives in Blacksburg. I need to see this thing asap!
    I could be wrong, but I thought the owner works at everyone's favorite BMW performance parts supplier that's based in Dublin, VA....?

My Cars
    E36
    I work at Volvo Trucks(literally a mile away). I'm good friends with Phil as well as Gary who just left Bimmerworld. I can't imagine its James Clay either...hmmm

My Cars
    2005 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw328m52 View Post
    I work at Volvo Trucks(literally a mile away). I'm good friends with Phil as well as Gary who just left Bimmerworld. I can't imagine its James Clay either...hmmm
    Don't hold me to this, but I think it's Nick Large.

As for Phil, that poor guy. Had to put up with me figuring out what to get with my Club Race School discount and been stuck with me ever since.

My Cars
    E36
    I'll yell out the name next time I stop by. Phil is the man and has helped me numerous times. Customer service is always top notch.

My Cars
    1999 M Coupe
    Cool! I hope one of you guys can get in touch with the owner and get some updates. Thanks!

My Cars
    E82 128i, E36 M3
    This is Nick's helmet painting business page. His contact info is on there as well.

https://www.facebook.com/NRVSG/

My Cars
    2005 M3 Coupe
    Don't bug Nick. He's got my helmet right now and I need it back in two weeks :-)

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast