Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Z3 Wide Body

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    My dream is to find a builder m and do this some day. Just for a toy. Thanx for sharing the experience.

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    I check back here occasionally and it is like Christmas.

My Cars
    e46 M3
    Any progress to share?

My Cars
    Zmcoupe 330d
    Great read, quality work..
    any updates..

My Cars
    Mini Cooper S, C-Mod Z3
    Folks,

I've taken a bit of a hiatus while graduating from college and starting a new job. I'm getting back at it as I write this. I will post photos of the finished product.

As far as selling body parts. Absolutely not. Supporting customers through their install and getting their kits to fit would be an absolute nightmare. I'll leave that to the pros.

Anyway, I really do appreciate the interest and the patience as I took a bit of a break. I've never been more eager to get on track.
    Last edited by Calaway16; 09-24-2013 at 01:48 AM.

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe,07 Audi RS4
    Thanks so much for documenting this build. I have a 2000 M-Coupe that I have been using for a DE for the past 2 years. I think that next year's season will be the last that I am going to keep the car street legal and move on to trailering it to events. It has been so hard to find any vendor that supplies a solid aero kit for the Z3M.

Can you let me know what model of the APR wing you are using? I am addressing the oil and water cooling this off season, but aero is going to be next on the list.

My Cars
    00 Mshoe
    bump for updates... cant believe I just read through all that...

wait, yes i can

My Cars
    Mini Cooper S, C-Mod Z3
    Nice timing! Here are some photos of the front bumper and one of the side-skirts being molded. My dad is coming to visit this weekend and our plan is to make the mold of the hood.... Going to be a pretty major project and a looooong weekend...

My Cars
    00 Mshoe
    You out towards Tech? I might have to hit you up to check this thing out in person. My girl graduated from Tech and we head up that way a few times a year usually.

My Cars
    99 M3 LS1, '11 WRX
    Dear god this is tremendous.

You've got talent, Nick. Subscribed for progress.

My Cars
    Mini Cooper S, C-Mod Z3
    Yeah I'm about 1.5 miles from campus. Let me know if you're in town.

Thanks for the kind words!

Working on the hood:

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    If you can make a good fiberglass hood you can make some good money, so many have tried and failed.

My Cars
    99 Mcoupe
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrannon7 View Post
    If you can make a good fiberglass hood you can make some good money, so many have tried and failed.
    +1
    If you make a solid CFRP hood with a quality fit, the Z3 community will beat a path to your door.

My Cars
    1979 323i Race Car
    Just a thought on monetizing: I totally understand not wanting to deal with customers, especially on an application like this, but you could license your molds/design to a reseller and let them deal with production/fitment/shipping/customer service.

Just build in a clause that says you get to make as many reproductions as you want for your own use. Or hell, once they start building it in quantity, part of the deal could be that you get as many free panels as you need.

My Cars
    2001 Z3 2.5i, 88 325ix
    ^ I like this idea. Maybe DTM Fiberwerkz would do something like this. I know they are pretty active in the e30 world or at least on r3v
    WTB: Factory OEM Rear Spoiler (See Pic)

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    Updates? Too cold to be doing anything?

My Cars
    BMW E24 - 635 CSi 80ī
    Absolutly stunning build, the vent out threw the hood is very interesting, i wonder that the engine and other components doesnt run hot, because theres no airflow...

My Cars
    M Coupe
    Tracked z3s will run 10-20*F hotter than equivalent e36s. The engine bay cooling isn't as good. So hood vents, done well, will help a lot.
    - Ian
    2000 M Coupe, stripped and DE prepped

46mm wheel bearing socket for rent - $30 deposit + $10 fee. PM for details.

My Cars
    Mini Cooper S, C-Mod Z3
    Just so you know that I'm still alive and am still working...

Here are some photos of the rear bumper getting mounted and the hood mold off the car. Please do forgive the unscientific means by which the bumper is held in place.

The hood mold has several dozen hours invested. I increased the stiffness with two inches of foam and two MDF ribs that allow it to sit nice and flat and steady on the floor. In all I used 7 layers of chopped strand fiberglass mat (approximately 1/8" thick) - 5 layers + 2 layers over the foam and ribs. The MDF absorbs a lot of resin which is why the glass didn't wet out. The mold weighs quite a bit but it is unbelievably stiff.

My goal was (and still is, really) to have the car finished in time to race the first week of April at VIR. That is looking very unlikely. Fortunately I think I have alternative arrangements so I'll still be able to participate.

My Cars
    No more BMWs :(
    Love this build and the tremendous attention to detail! Can't wait to see the finished product and the car ripping around on the track.

-Nick

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    You must let us know when this thing makes it to VIR or other tracks further South. I'd love to see this in person.

My Cars
    00 Mshoe
    I may be out in the blacksburg area in June I'd love to come check this beast out.

- - - Updated - - -

I may be out in the blacksburg area in June I'd love to come check this beast out.

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Roadster 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by Calaway16 View Post
    Nice timing! Here are some photos of the front bumper and one of the side-skirts being molded. My dad is coming to visit this weekend and our plan is to make the mold of the hood.... Going to be a pretty major project and a looooong weekend...

Hello,
    Looking at the cloth you are putting on the front bumper, it looks very flexible.
    Can you tell me the thickness of the cloth? I don't know in the US, but here it is always mentioned in grams per sq meter.
    How many layers did you put on? Knowing how strong it is now, would you make it stronger/less strong if you would make an other one?

Thanks for the information,
    Koen Delvaux
    Belgium

My Cars
    2005 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormy2 View Post
    Hello,
    Looking at the cloth you are putting on the front bumper, it looks very flexible.
    Can you tell me the thickness of the cloth? I don't know in the US, but here it is always mentioned in grams per sq meter.
    How many layers did you put on? Knowing how strong it is now, would you make it stronger/less strong if you would make an other one?

Thanks for the information,
    Koen Delvaux
    Belgium
    The cloth looks like it lays down pretty easily, but that's not a real reflection of it's strength. It looks fairly thick so between that and the curvature present on most car body panels you really wouldn't need many plies to have a pretty stiff part.

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Roadster 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by dmw16 View Post
    The cloth looks like it lays down pretty easily, but that's not a real reflection of it's strength. It looks fairly thick so between that and the curvature present on most car body panels you really wouldn't need many plies to have a pretty stiff part.
    I do understand the strength of the finished piece is not at all reflected by the flexibility of the cloth before applying the resin.
    Myself, I use more strands of fiber instead of cloth.
    I normally use 225, 330 & 450 gr/mē sheets : my pieces are normally done in a 225gr first, then 2x330 when it is a complex piece or 1x450 when it is flat and easy)
    My sheets of strands of fiber look less flexible than this cloth (I mean comparing them both before applying resin).
    When applying resin mine is also very flexible, but being flexible before applying resin can be more comfortable to work with.

This is the reason for which I would like to know the thickness of this sheet.
    I want to make sure I'm not comparing 450 gr/mē strand to 225gr/mē cloth.
    Maybe I should work more with cloth too.

Thanks for the info,
    Koen

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast