Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Z3 Wide Body

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Roadster 2.8
    Unfortunately (until now) no sharing of the details of the build.
    Would have been nice to know the weight of the cloth that has gone in the parts.

Koen

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    Feed us.

My Cars
    Mini Cooper S, C-Mod Z3
    It's time for an update. I hope you're not disappointed by the progress; I assure you I'm doing the best I can given the circumstances.

To answer Koen's questions, the glass is 2x2 twill woven fiberglass; 8.5 ounces per square yard. Thickness depends on the part and in fact the location on the part. For the most part, 4 layers does the trick. The door and the hood are both reinforced. The hood uses an 1/8" thick divinycell foam core, while the door has an inner structure built around my NASCAR bars.

Photos show the bodywork hung on the car. There's lots of trimming, sanding, cleaning, and painting to be done, but the majority of the mounting is done.

While I was at it I cut out the spare tire well, losing another 10 or so pounds. Speaking of weight, the hood is going to weigh approximately 22 lbs. Not bad for fiberglass.

I'm going to be listing a few things in the classified's section so do check it out if you're in the market for some lightly used (and well cared for) seats, harnesses, and suspension.

My Cars
    1992 325i
    Out of curiosity, why didn't you use carbon fiber instead of fiber glass? I did read the entire thread but it's been a while.
    The car looks great. Can't wait to see the final product.

mcoupemindy is offline Senior Member BMW CCA Member
    Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    So ... Much ... Awesome!

My Cars
    2005 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshh View Post
    Out of curiosity, why didn't you use carbon fiber instead of fiber glass? I did read the entire thread but it's been a while.
    The car looks great. Can't wait to see the final product.
    Fiberglass is generally $2-3 per yard, cheap carbon fiber is $25 per yard. I'd speculate it was cost driven. Carbon fiber would be overkill for this application.

My Cars
    Mini Cooper S, C-Mod Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by dmw16 View Post
    Fiberglass is generally $2-3 per yard, cheap carbon fiber is $25 per yard. I'd speculate it was cost driven. Carbon fiber would be overkill for this application.
    Bingo. The woven fiberglass I'm using is about $7.50 a yard. VERY cheap carbon (with fiberglass tracers and everything) is $25. The decent stuff is approaching $40 a yard. Being my first time doing large fiberglass parts, I knew I would be creating a lot of waste and possibly screwing up some parts. If (when) I do this again I will use carbon. For now I think I might just pick up a few yards for the smaller parts. I'm interested to know how it is to work with.

My Cars
    2005 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Calaway16 View Post
    Bingo. The woven fiberglass I'm using is about $7.50 a yard. VERY cheap carbon (with fiberglass tracers and everything) is $25. The decent stuff is approaching $40 a yard. Being my first time doing large fiberglass parts, I knew I would be creating a lot of waste and possibly screwing up some parts. If (when) I do this again I will use carbon. For now I think I might just pick up a few yards for the smaller parts. I'm interested to know how it is to work with.
    Nick, if you pick up resin pre-empregnanted (aka prepreg) carbon fiber I think you'll find it easier than fiberglass. Carbon stays together better than fiberglass...especially if the fiberglass doesn't have the resin already in it.

A few things to note on working with carbon (sorry if you know this already) but carbon fiber has a strong and weak direction and when laying up parts it's best to alternate between 0 degrees and 45 degrees. I'd suggest doing the 45 degree ply as your first one down as it tends to drape better...that is to say take your ply and turn it 45 degrees from "straight across your tool". Then alternate and try to stay balanced...so 45, 0, 45, 0, 45 would be a good layup and more than strong enough. You could probably do 45, 0, 0, 45 and be good to go. The balanced layup prevents the part from "potato chipping" or curling because it keeps the internal stresses balanced.

You can oven cure most carbons and have plenty of strength. I am not sure if places sell expired material but you could maybe ask around. It may be a little stiffer (use a hair dryer or heatgun to soften it) but it should be cheaper and again, for this application, no impact to the material system capabilities.

Sorry if you know all of this already, just figured I'd mention it in case it helps you or someone else.

My Cars
    2x 84 318i, 02 M3, etc..
    Wow! What a build.
    318i E30
    & other toys

My Cars
    96 328is 6.0L
    Need moar updates! Awsomess!
    - 96 328is 6.0L. (LS1 to LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ad.php?2098938)
    - 96 328is 5.7L. (LS1 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1289987)
    - 95 ///M3 6.0L. (LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1619249)

- 97 ///M3. (e46 Fender Flares/track car build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1727098)
    - 96 328is (Dual Fuel Pump to Surge Tank thread: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?1964025)

My Cars
    #Project333Ti & Z3 Coupe
    Bumping this from the dead as I REALLY wanna see the finished product!

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Roadster 2.8
    Hello,

Any pictures of the fixation points?
    How did you fix the panels to the chassis? (rear quarter panels, front panels and bumpers)
    Did you use the standard points?
    What about the doors, bonnet and trunk?

any pictures about that?

Thanks for the info,
    Koen

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    Bump

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    Any progress?

My Cars
    Mini Cooper S, C-Mod Z3
    Yes there has been slow progress. I'll put some new photos up when I get around to it this weekend.

My Cars
    2006 BMW 325i
    Unbelievable! I can't even fathom tackling a project like this. Keep the awesome work coming! subbed!

My Cars
    #Project333Ti & Z3 Coupe
    Bump it up. Any further movement?

My Cars
    '99 M3 '10 X5 35d '02 M3
    The people (politely) demand updates!

My Cars
    Mini Cooper S, C-Mod Z3

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Ho Lee Fok! Nice update!!!

My Cars
    Mini Cooper S, C-Mod Z3
    The design has continued to evolve over the past several months.

The muffler is housed in an isolated and vented chamber; air will be drawn through a duct from beneath the car and will exit through the vent the exhaust tip passes through, cooling the muffler.

Checking the splitter plug with the bumper and undertray. The plug will be molded and the finished parts will be out of carbon and foam core. The fender liners are in progress. They, too will be molded and built out of carbon and kevlar.

My Cars
    99 Mcoupe
    Nice!
    That's really starting to look killer, the rear diffuser is massive.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3
    Holy cow, that rear diffuser!

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    this is tremendous in every possible way.
    always trying to make it lighter and faster

^^former build: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-neglected-M3/
    current build: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...car-build.html
    instant grams: doktor_b

My Cars
    ModelS;CayenneD;M5;MCx2
    Great work Nick... Keep it up.
    Maybe u can join at Octoberfest/Laguna!!! Dorkfest will be happening at the same time.

Best,
    Patrick Avakian
    #368 JP

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast