Thread: non vanos to vanos

My Cars
    600cc of pure fury

non vanos to vanos

Hey,
    I was just wondering since I have a 94 325i after an accident and id like to have a vanos engine in my 92 is that even possible? How hard would it be?

Tom

My Cars
    Too Many
    I think it can be done. But also why would you want to? If you want the M3 cam possibility I have a site that says what you need to make a non-vanos have M3 cam specs, with only having to buy one cam. Also everyone that has driven my 92' said it pulls MUCH hard then their cars with vanos. But yes I have talked to people that say its very possible to have a vanos head in a 92'.

My Cars
    318ti
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzIIe36
    I think it can be done. But also why would you want to? If you want the M3 cam possibility I have a site that says what you need to make a non-vanos have M3 cam specs, with only having to buy one cam. Also everyone that has driven my 92' said it pulls MUCH hard then their cars with vanos. But yes I have talked to people that say its very possible to have a vanos head in a 92'.
    where can you buy just the one cam? everywhere I've looked only sells them in pairs.
    Thanks

My Cars
    2015 Tacoma, '86 951
    Look around, and it can be found. I believe DSR or someone did them... as an alternative to shrick.
    Retired Track E36
    Jet Black 2012 328i

My Cars
    '99 323ti, '20 X5
    Yeah, vanos sucks. Stick with the '92 head.
    -Bungy.

1999 323ti
    2005 530i 6-speed
    2020 X5
    2013 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    600cc of pure fury
    schwarzIIe36 the M3 cam website would be great, I always thought vanos will give me more tq in lower rpms which would be great since my 94 pulled a little harder in the lower range but not as good in the higher.. weird : anyway Im looking for some to get some more hp in the lower rpms would a M3 cams be a good upgrade for me? DIYs? ;>

Tom

My Cars
    2006 VBP RSX-S
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwperson
    schwarzIIe36 the M3 cam website would be great, I always thought vanos will give me more tq in lower rpms which would be great since my 94 pulled a little harder in the lower range but not as good in the higher.. weird : anyway Im looking for some to get some more hp in the lower rpms would a M3 cams be a good upgrade for me? DIYs? ;>

Tom
    Nope, M3 cams don't add power when compared to the already agressive non vanos cams. Like others have said above, get DSR or Schricks. I can give you a ride in mine to let you know what the full Dinan package feels like when coupled with an M3 clutch and lightweight flywheel. It PULLS!

Of course all that stuff was almost $4K installed. Good thing it was on the car when I bougnt it.

My only other options now are a LSD from an M3, preferably a 3.23 or 3.38, and some accessory pullies. Not sure if those are worth the $175 bucks.??

My Cars
    Too Many
    Yes I will try and find the site. I dont remember what the scenario was but on a 92' non-vanos engine if you switch (now I am not sure of the order so dont quote me on this) I think the exhaust cam to the intake side and get a shrick cam for the exhaust then its exactly the the same as M3 cams in a vanos engine. That might be opposite of what I said I can't remember for sure, I will look for the site. Also I have read that the non-vanos E34 525i has even hotter cams then the E36 non-vanos had, I am not sure about the story behind that but I have read it several places.

My Cars
    '99 323ti, '20 X5
    Yes I will try and find the site. I dont remember what the scenario was but on a 92' non-vanos engine if you switch (now I am not sure of the order so dont quote me on this) I think the exhaust cam to the intake side and get a shrick cam for the exhaust then its exactly the the same as M3 cams in a vanos engine. That might be opposite of what I said I can't remember for sure, I will look for the site. Also I have read that the non-vanos E34 525i has even hotter cams then the E36 non-vanos had, I am not sure about the story behind that but I have read it several places.
    I'm 99% sure that it's the other way around. You put the intake cam on the exhaust side and get a new intake cam. Also, the cams on the 525i are the exact same as the E36. That was a myth.
    -Bungy.

1999 323ti
    2005 530i 6-speed
    2020 X5
    2013 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2015 Tacoma, '86 951
    Quote Originally Posted by bungy42
    I'm 99% sure that it's the other way around. You put the intake cam on the exhaust side and get a new intake cam. Also, the cams on the 525i are the exact same as the E36. That was a myth.

yup bungy is right on this one... Intake > Exhaust side, then replace the intake cam. Also the 525 and 325 non vanos cams are the exact same.
    Retired Track E36
    Jet Black 2012 328i