Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 540i vs M5 differences-eng,tran,susp,body?

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by gjVah View Post
    do you guys realize how old this thread is?
    People keep bumping really, really old threads...

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2001 530iA Sport

At least the threads getting bumped so maybe a noob will see it and wont start another thread asking the exact same thing LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by blackxs View Post

Ive noticed that too.
    So does this mean that people are actually searching now.....
    Last edited by rrcompton; 02-22-2010 at 04:05 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2002 BMW M5
    Sorry man, I'm relatively new to the BMW world.

My Cars
    Maliboo
    This thread was worthy of a bump. Oh look what I just did.
    540i-sold, 325is-sold, Econo boat 2011 Civic-sold
    Car ADD
    Current death trap: 08 V6 Malibu

My Cars
    2003 540i/6 M-Sport
    Just what I was looking for, thanks!

My Cars
    '00 528i, '02 540i
    LSCman (if you're still answering this thread),

My 2002 540i sport package is coming up for a suspension upgrade. I saw your recommendation for Koni's and Eibachs. Trouble is, I'm just a little apprehensive about the Eibachs. Reason being is that I put Bilstein Sports and Eibachs on my 2000 528 and I don't like it because it is now bone-jarringly stiff.

I don't mind something that's a little stiffer than stock, but will I end up with something similar (as I did with my 528-too stiff) with your setup...? Thanks for all your help!

Shawn
    Last edited by e39godspeed; 05-08-2010 at 09:08 AM. Reason: clarification

My Cars
    1984 318i
    Since it's been bumped so many times before...

I see all the posts about the M5 and 540i springs being possibly the same and how both cars came with crappy boge shocks, but I don't think this was answered:

Are M5 and 540i shocks interchangeable? Like say, if one were to buy a set of aftermarket shocks or coilovers for for an M5, would he be able to mount them on to his 540i?
    -Byron

Quote Originally Posted by Boogieboy View Post
    I will drive and abuse every car I ever own! It's like saying that you won't screw your wife because she's too hot

My Cars
    F30 335i M-sport, 996tt
    Quote Originally Posted by bmerluvr View Post
    I have Koni's, an upgraded rear sway and lowering springs, all Dinan. The car does handle much better, but with a stiffer ride. The understeer I had before is pretty much gone now. However, since I can never leave well enough alone, do you guys think it would be worth the huge labor charge to install a larger front sway? Labor is what kills you with the front. I've heard most people stop with the rear and don't worry about the front, because of minimal gains in handling. The Dinan front sway is 27mm compared to the stock 25mm.
    Just get a front strut tower brace.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by E30SPDFRK View Post
    I see all the posts about the M5 and 540i springs being possibly the same and how both cars came with crappy boge shocks, but I don't think this was answered:

Are M5 and 540i shocks interchangeable? Like say, if one were to buy a set of aftermarket shocks or coilovers for for an M5, would he be able to mount them on to his 540i?
    Ive never seen posts saying M5 and 540 springs are the same...

AFAIK its pretty well known that no, M5 springs will not work on a 540 and vice-versa. M5 is more front-heavy. A 540 with M5 suspension will be higher (a LOT higher in the front) than the stock 540 and will handle in a very silly way thanks to differing spring rates.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    2004 545i
    I have a 2003 540ia without the sport option do you know what differential gear ratio I have. I have a spare LSD M5 rear end, drive shaft and half shafts will it be worth it to install.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by dd007 View Post
    I have a 2003 540ia without the sport option do you know what differential gear ratio I have. I have a spare LSD M5 rear end, drive shaft and half shafts will it be worth it to install.
    If your current ratio is 2.81 it will help. If its 3.15 it wont help.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    1984 318i
    Ive never seen posts saying M5 and 540 springs are the same...

AFAIK its pretty well known that no, M5 springs will not work on a 540 and vice-versa. M5 is more front-heavy. A 540 with M5 suspension will be higher (a LOT higher in the front) than the stock 540 and will handle in a very silly way thanks to differing spring rates.
    There are posts a page back that say they are potentially the same LOL. And I'm not asking if the spring rates or the dampening would be correct, I'm asking if the struts from an M5 would physically bolt up to a 540i.
    -Byron

Quote Originally Posted by Boogieboy View Post
    I will drive and abuse every car I ever own! It's like saying that you won't screw your wife because she's too hot

My Cars
    Yugo
    They bolt up. The weight difference between an early 540 and later M5 approaches 300lbs, so the M5 setup on a 540i will look like an off road 4wd package. A fully loaded 2003 540i will weigh close to an M5.

My Cars
    M550iX, 540M-Sport, Scud
    Since it's been bumped so many times before...

Yes, they are. 540s with the M-Sport Suspension II option code came with M5 struts/shocks. I know, as I removed them from my car when I upgraded to the Bilstein B14 PSS kit. BTW, the Bilstein B14 PSS kit is spec'd by Bilstein to work perfectly fine with EITHER the 540 or M5.

There are no aftermarket strut/shocks made specifically for the M5 that I am aware of...but there are several coilover products. And most all of them are specified by the manufacturers to work on both M5 and 540.
    2001 540 M-Sport (cdn), ST X (KW) coilovers, H&R 15mm spacers, Eibach anti roll bars (28mm/18mm), Beastpower rear antiroll bar brackets, M5 rear chassis reinforcements (traction rods), Strong Strut front upper strut bar, Dinan Stage 1 software, factory M-Audio subs, Bavsound speaker upgrade, Bluebus bluetooth integration, Stop Tech SS brake lines, ATE coated brake rotors, ATE ceramic brake pads.

My Cars
    z3
    There are posts a page back that say they are potentially the same LOL. And I'm not asking if the spring rates or the dampening would be correct, I'm asking if the struts from an M5 would physically bolt up to a 540i.
    They may bolt up but the struts are different M5 versus 540 and afaik the springs are as well so it may not perform as you expect it to.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    2003 540i
    I have a 2003 540 sport with the M TECH II package. I want to keep it all factory original despite the negative comments about SACHS. What shocks do I use and where do I get them? This is very confusing since they are supposedly different than the M5 or other 540 sport shocks. thanks a lot!

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;
    No. Your shocks should be the same as the M5 because you have the Tech II package. Did you check Realoem? See here This is for the front axle. You have the M-sport II suspension. The part numbers are there. Goto FCPEuro, ECSTuning, EEuroparts or one of the other online places and check out prices.
    gmak: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. A journey with my new-to-me 2000 540i

"Working on a BMW E39 is the best way to run out of time."

My Cars
    2003 540i6
    Only the front springs are different between the two. Here are some quick ref numbers for you.

M-Sport II Suspension
    Front
    -Springs - 31332229070 - Unique to M-Tech II
    -Struts - 31312229612 - Same as M5
    Rear
    -Springs - 33532229176 - Same as M5
    -Shocks - 33522229126 - Same as M5

M5 Suspension
    Front
    -Springs - 31332229071 - M5 only
    -Struts - 31312229612 - Same as M-Tech II
    Rear
    -Springs - 33532229176 - same as M-Tech II
    -Shocks - 33522229126 - Same as M-Tech II
    2003 540i/6

My Cars
    2003 540i
    Thanks a lot waters17. exactly what i needed.

My Cars
    2003 540i
    The cheapest I found was from BMW of South Atlanta.For all 4, they were 200$ less than any other. FCP euro priced matched. thanks again.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    You don't say!

My Cars
    2003 540i6
    Quote Originally Posted by auaq View Post
    you don't say!

:d
    LOL! Even that comment is old. Hopefully someone brings it up again in another 6 years.
    2003 540i/6

My Cars
    are slow
    Quote Originally Posted by e39godspeed View Post
    LSCman (if you're still answering this thread),

My 2002 540i sport package is coming up for a suspension upgrade. I saw your recommendation for Koni's and Eibachs. Trouble is, I'm just a little apprehensive about the Eibachs. Reason being is that I put Bilstein Sports and Eibachs on my 2000 528 and I don't like it because it is now bone-jarringly stiff.

I don't mind something that's a little stiffer than stock, but will I end up with something similar (as I did with my 528-too stiff) with your setup...? Thanks for all your help!

Shawn
    It's because the Bilsteins ride like cement trucks, I love it.

My Cars
    05 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by carjoe View Post
    This thread was worthy of a bump. Oh look what I just did.
    05 330i Alpine White
    Past:
    02 330i Titanium Silver
    R56 MCS
    00 540i6

My Cars
    540i
    this is the information I have been looking for. thank you. I was looking for a M5 to swap the subframe and suspension onto my 525it. so if I read this right. as long as I upgrade my brakes , springs & shocks and sway bar the only thing I would need is the rear diff. so I could just pick up a 540i frame and suspension and use that and save me a lot of money instead of buying an M5 set up. then just buy an M5 diff and i would be good.

Just some info on my plan
    i have a 525it I'm dropping a 2003 M5 engine into it and wanted to convert it to a full M5 wagon. starting with the suspension. and I will slowly upgrade body and interior and all the other upgrades & options.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123