Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: E36 Ford Coyote Swap Build Thread

My Cars
    96 E36 Coyote 5.0
    Quote Originally Posted by 1992GTR View Post
    I hope that can help you
    Yeah I've used that when I ordered everything. It is correct.

Turns out I just hadnt bled the system enough. Jumped out the relay to run the abs pump and then I really saw air bubbles. Took the car for a quick drive today. Quick only cause my registration was out 6 months ago. Untuned right now the car is just awesome. 2nd gear at just under 4k RPMs will break free every time. The car is a little quieter than last time which is a plus.

Pedals are going to be my next issue. The brake pedal is lower than the clutch and the gas is too long and low. Pretty tough to drive comfortably with my knee at the steering wheel.

Removed the radiator for the last time hopefully. Going to have a friend that is real good at aluminum TIG finish up some last details. Getting there. I'd say I'm in good shape for spring since it was 10 degrees this morning and there is still snow on the ground!
    E36 5.0 Coyote DOHC V8 Swap - Build Thread Here

My Cars
    350z
    On the plus side, you have a good amount of time to make tweaks before you can beat on it all summer.

My Cars
    350z
    Double post

My Cars
    5.0 325is
    Wow...very impressive.

My Cars
    350z
    Any updates?

My Cars
    1995 M3 , 1995 325IS
    Can you give me the parts number you have use to connect to your fuel rail to the AN line
    Thanks Don,

My Cars
    96 E36 Coyote 5.0
    Quote Originally Posted by 1992GTR View Post
    Can you give me the parts number you have use to connect to your fuel rail to the AN line
    Thanks Don,
    Russell 640850.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus350 View Post
    Any updates?
    The last two weeks have been 120 hrs plus travel time. Hoping for some garage time this weekend.
    Last edited by Fendbass22; 02-15-2013 at 05:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    96 E36 Coyote 5.0

Dyno run. 336hp/347tq with F-150 Cam.

My Cars
    2002 BMW Streetcarver,
    That motor looks so good in there.

My Cars
    350z
    Great video, it sounds really mean. Time to get some tire smoke video.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 DINAN S3
    looks really good.

i'm in nh too, had no idea this shop existed, what else can they tune? S/C S50 perhaps?
    Andrew:
    1995: Avus

///Supercharged 95 Club

My Cars
    350z
    Any updates on the car?

My Cars
    350z
    Some clips at the track

My Cars
    350z
    double post
    Last edited by Cerberus350; 05-26-2013 at 02:32 PM.

My Cars
    Hellrot 332is
    So best time was 13.1 and best MPH was 110?
    -Seb

My Cars
    Sport wagon
    did you have to get it tuned to fix drivability issues or were you just trying to get max power? I'm very interested in using the F-150 variant in my next swap.

My Cars
    1969 Mustang
    Awesome write up on the Coyote Swap
    A few questions for you.

1. Did you use a 4.6 Clutch and PP and Flywheel?
    2. What type of Hydraulic Clutch System did you use? External or internal?
    3. How did you use the Oil cooler system thats on the F150 5.0?
    4. Does the 5.0 Engine Cover fit on top of the F150 Manifold?
    5. Did you keep the AC compressor or did you just use the power steering pump you fabricated.
    6. Was there anything that had to be removed from the F150 engine to install the Ford Racing Harness?

Thanks again for posting and the Great pics!
    Steve69

My Cars
    1994 318i
    Wow AWESOME work man! That motor looks OEM in there! Like it were meant for the Coyote...

Uhhh... any chance you'd make a kit? I bet you'd get people ordering them >wink<

My Cars
    1995 bmw m3

1 ? man

hey man you really inspired me to do this swap,do you mind putting parts #'s up for those complicated parts (hoses,lines bolts etc)you needed to get everything working properly to help us;when your done with everything?????

My Cars
    96 E36 Coyote 5.0
    Quote Originally Posted by 87coupe50 View Post
    did you have to get it tuned to fix drivability issues or were you just trying to get max power? I'm very interested in using the F-150 variant in my next swap.
    Driveability isn't bad. I still have an odd issue with RPMs dropping to ~300 for 2 seconds when getting off the highway here and there. This spring I am going to get it tuned again to try and resolve this issue.

When I bought the transmission the guy gave me a Spec Stage II clutch barely used. I would never use that again unless I need it due to power. Driveability clutch wise is pretty rough in traffic. If the motor ever comes out again I will put a stock clutch or just slightly above.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Steve1966 View Post
    Awesome write up on the Coyote Swap
    A few questions for you.

1. Did you use a 4.6 Clutch and PP and Flywheel?
    2. What type of Hydraulic Clutch System did you use? External or internal?
    3. How did you use the Oil cooler system thats on the F150 5.0?
    4. Does the 5.0 Engine Cover fit on top of the F150 Manifold?
    5. Did you keep the AC compressor or did you just use the power steering pump you fabricated.
    6. Was there anything that had to be removed from the F150 engine to install the Ford Racing Harness?

Thanks again for posting and the Great pics!
    Steve69
    Answers:
    1.) Yes, transmission, clutch setup, starter all from 02 GT.
    2.) I used external. I could not get the throw I needed so I had to fabricate a clutch multiplier (3/4" slave throw makes 1-1/8" fork throw). That coupled with the Spec stage II is pretty hard. I am considering fabricating an entire clutch/brake pedal assembly to fit an aftermarket clutch master to improve the clutch feel.
    3.) I did not use the oil cooler from the F-150. The donor vehicle I pulled it from was hit on that side and it was ruined. I did not have any issues with high oil temps, however, I would like to reinstall it before spring. Cooler and hose required from Ford I think was around $250 and I have the room to fit it.
    4.) No, not without a lot of cutting of the 5.0 cover along the back which I think would make it look bad.
    5.) I did not keep AC. I don't see where it would fit. I am in NH so it was not an issue for me.
    6.) If you remove the engine harness you should be fine. It plugs right in. However, FRPP controls pack expects you to mount the ECU on the front passenger side of the engine compartment. I wanted to put it in the factory E36 location so some of the F-150 engine harness needed to be extended.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 5LiterBMW View Post
    Wow AWESOME work man! That motor looks OEM in there! Like it were meant for the Coyote...

Uhhh... any chance you'd make a kit? I bet you'd get people ordering them >wink<
    I've had more requests than I ever thought for kits. I would have to remove engine again and engineer a kit and instructions. I feel that the amount of cutting and fab work required to the car and the oil pan would turn people off.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Branbmwm357 View Post
    hey man you really inspired me to do this swap,do you mind putting parts #'s up for those complicated parts (hoses,lines bolts etc)you needed to get everything working properly to help us;when your done with everything?????
    I didn't document too much. I can look back through my Summit orders to get power steering hose parts and such. As far as radiator hoses it was just stock F-150 and GT hoses. I think one or two heater core lines were a trip to Advance Auto.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sebaflex View Post
    So best time was 13.1 and best MPH was 110?
    Yes. With more practice I'm sure I could have gotten lower ET. I was only getting better with each pass.

- - - Updated - - -

This winter I am looking to get stock GT cams in and improve clutch setup then re-tune.

My Cars
    F150

5.0 swap

YEAH I REALLY LIKE YOUR BUILD UP BUT HAVE SOME QUESTIONS do you need any thing additional to fire it up except the control pack and how did it run. Im also using a truck motor but going auto any help would be great THANKS

My Cars
    1990 Mustang GT
    I am planning on do this swap to an e34. what do you think? I took engine bay measurments from a e34 and compared to my buddies e36 318is. e34 has about 6" more clearance everywhere it seems. any tips etc would be much appreciated! btw love the build and applaud your effort good on you. sure inspired me!

My Cars
    E36
    Do you still have this car? Hows it holding up?

Sent from my N9132 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    93 325is - Sold
    was this your car at tuner evolution a few weeks back?

My Cars
    E32 1988 BMW 750iL
    First of all, really nice writeup and great job on the swap! The car looks and sounds awesome.

I do have a question/concern. My understanding is that the F150 Coyote engines were rated at 385 hp, vs. 412/435/460 for the Mustang version, due to the F150 being tuned for torque and towing rather than top end horsepower. Yours seems to be down about 50 horsepower from stock. Am I missing something?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast