Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: E36 Ford Coyote Swap Build Thread

My Cars
    96 E36 Coyote 5.0

E36 Ford Coyote Swap Build Thread

Once I knew my pushrod was letting go (knocking real bad) I knew it was time to step it up. I decided to go to with the F-150 variant of the Coyote because I scored one locally for $1800 with 10k miles. I know, 40 hp less. However, I did not want to by a $7000 engine and find out it does not fit. F-150s are being tuned to 355-365WHP. To add, I've only spent about $5800 on this so far. The only difference is the cams and pistons (10.5:1 vs 11:1).

2011 F-150 Coyote $1800
    2002 Mustang GT TR-3650, clutch, and flywheel $600
    Ford Coyote Controls Pack $1400
    The rest is raw materials, bushings, etc.

Test Fit:

It was obvious that the stock brake booster would not fit.

Space on either side of the motor.

Radius on oil pan will need to be removed to clear cross member.

Starting to get it welded up.

Oil Pan complete. I screwed and sealed it to a piece of MDF. I pressurized the oil pan through the MDF to check for leaks, fixed any I found. Factory windage tray was cut out to weld chamfer in bottom. Windage tray was then welded back in.

Milling out motor mount pieces.

Energy Suspension bushings inside DOM tube with 5/8" bolt.

Drivers side header. Probably the most difficult part. What a serious pain in the ass. For anyone thinking about making any, really think it through. In this case, I had NO CHOICE. I've had a ton of people give me their 2 cents on my design. Their mouth drops when I show them in person how tight it really is. I've used every possible square inch of space. Majority of Coyote headers use the Tri-Y design. I decided to go that route.

Drivers side.

Steering shaft goes through the middle of the header.

Passenger side.

Both. Header flanges and driveshaft were the only thing I didn't make myself on this whole project. My mill won't do 3/8" stainless very well. They were cut on a waterjet, about $200. They warped a little while welding so I had to have the surfaces ground flat at local engine builder. R and L Engine in Dover, NH are great people.

This is where I might lose some people. I had to move the steering shaft where it meets the firewall about 3/4" toward the drivers side. It was the only way to keep the engine centered. You can't even notice at the wheel. The gray material is not JB weld, it is body panel adhesive. Underneath is 1/2" spot welds around the plate. Adhesive is for strength and to seal up the firewall.

All new Coyote vehicles do not have power steering pumps because they have electric steering. Where the A/C compressor is supposed to be is where I fabricated a mounting bracket to fit the E36 pump.

Last edited by Fendbass22; 01-11-2013 at 01:51 PM.
    E36 5.0 Coyote DOHC V8 Swap - Build Thread Here

My Cars
    96 E36 Coyote 5.0
    All mounts painted.

2001 Cobra Hydraulic Brake Booster. I would have this connected already but there are two PTFE (sp?) fittings I need on backorder.

One of many trial and error mistakes. I mounted the ABS pump here and then could not get the head light in.

It is now facing this way.

Tranny mount.

As you can see I am salvaging the last half of my exhaust from the previous swap. I will be fabricating the rest in stainless once I hear how raspy the Flowmaster is with the Coyote. As you can see by the video... it still has some snap and crackle.

Shifter location is exactly where it should be. Like it was meant to be there!

Exhaust.

Looks pretty low in the pic, not too bad.

Driver side clearance.

Passenger side clearance.

Oil Filter Location.

Radiator Clearance.

Start of intake tube. Still a work in progress. Going to build a SS box down by the bumper to get cool air.

Hood shuts. So dirty!

What is left:
    - Mount slave cylinder and connections.
    - Power steering hoses.
    - Radiator mounts, cooling fan mount.
    - Intake and cold air box fab.
    - Mount DBW pedal from Controls Pack kit.
    - Put interior back together.

Enjoy!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp3h2YmShAA[/ame]
    Last edited by Fendbass22; 01-11-2013 at 01:39 PM.

My Cars
    1998 m3 3/4/5 LS1/t56
    Very nice work, I don't know much about those trannys, are they pretty strong? I wonder how much easier this would be in a e39?

My Cars
    96 E36 Coyote 5.0
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman2447 View Post
    Very nice work, I don't know much about those trannys, are they pretty strong? I wonder how much easier this would be in a e39?
    I heard they have a weak point around 375WHP which is unfortunate but if it breaks, time to go Tremec.

My Cars
    96 328is 6.0L
    Very Nice!

Is your mill CNC or manual? Love the way mount ears came out! I had to cut my square and then grind them to that shape...
    - 96 328is 6.0L. (LS1 to LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ad.php?2098938)
    - 96 328is 5.7L. (LS1 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1289987)
    - 95 ///M3 6.0L. (LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1619249)

- 97 ///M3. (e46 Fender Flares/track car build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1727098)
    - 96 328is (Dual Fuel Pump to Surge Tank thread: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?1964025)

My Cars
    96 E36 Coyote 5.0
    Quote Originally Posted by bimerok View Post
    Very Nice!

Is your mill CNC or manual? Love the way mount ears came out! I had to cut my square and then grind them to that shape...
    It is CNC converted. Does pretty well for most things. The motors are stepper so it will miss steps if I push it really hard. Takes quite a bit to miss steps though.

My Cars
    '97 M3 sdn, '00 528 sprt
    Nice work, good to see the giant fits.

'97 Sedan, Cosmos Meconium, Click ME for the build thread.

My Cars
    E36 swapped 5.0 turbo
    Congrats on the success! Awesome
    E36 5.0/ turbo
    E36 5.0 W/SC 457HP 449TQ
    E30 5.0 W/SC. Totaled but not forgotten.
    2014 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road 4x4
    2014 Toyota Sienna but it's a XLE bro

My Cars
    2008 535i
    Excellent fabwork, coyote motors are awesome, especially on some boost.

I just had mine dynoed on a cold day yesterday at 11psi boost on the paxton 2200SL. 91 octane, stock exhaust.

My Cars
    96 E36 Coyote 5.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaane View Post
    Excellent fabwork, coyote motors are awesome, especially on some boost.

I just had mine dynoed on a cold day yesterday at 11psi boost on the paxton 2200SL. 91 octane, stock exhaust.
    Oh those are the numbers I wanna see!

Edit: wow after looking on their site that is really going to be tight.
    Last edited by Fendbass22; 01-11-2013 at 07:33 PM.

My Cars
    94 325i, 99 323i vert
    Thought about this before, glad someone did it!

My Cars
    2E36,E34,E38,Dak,780,V
    Awesome work as usual!!
    -=PJ
    Strike Zero's Garage
    ==================================================
    2006 SCR-SCCA Street Mod Champion
    1982 Toyota Corolla
    1988 Volvo 780
    1993 BMW 318is: Gas Sipper
    1993 BMW 325is => 350is: Track Rat
    1994 BMW 530i + 5spd
    1997 BMW 740i: Hwy Killah!!
    1998 Honda VFR800FI: Gear Driven Cam Goodness
    2000 Dodge Dakota: V8 + 5spd = Smokey Fun
    2000 Lincoln LS V6 5spd
    2004 Pontiac GTO - RIP
    2005 Cadillac CTS-V
    ==================================================
    "If not under warranty, live with it, or bend over and grab ankles."

My Cars
    94' 318is
    Nice work, I still havent got a chance to piece my 302 swap all together.. Still gonna be a while til I'm done. Ran into financial issues.

My Cars
    96 E36 Coyote 5.0
    Well made some progress today.

Made a mounting plate for MAF sensor. Welded in intake tube. Had to put a 25 degree cut to make the tube work.

Had something happen that really sucked today. Went to bleed the clutch slave and was not getting anything at the slave bleeder. I went to push the pedal down and the dust cap split open spraying brake fluid everywhere by the pedals.

The plunger (not sure on the term, the tie rod looking piece that connects to pedal) had pulled out from the piston sometime during my last swap. The piston had dropped down below the feed from the reservoir and filled the top with fluid. Not impressed because getting those pedals out with the hydro boost master installed is really hard.

All back in and installed. Adjusted and seems to be working good. Looks like I have the travel I need.

Started to bleed the brakes and I can't get any fluid to one of the rear calipers. I even disconnected from the ABS and tried pushing 60psi to the caliper and nothing. Is this something that can happen these calipers if they sit for 6 months?

My Cars
    LS e39, LT e53
    Quote Originally Posted by Fendbass22 View Post
    Started to bleed the brakes and I can't get any fluid to one of the rear calipers. I even disconnected from the ABS and tried pushing 60psi to the caliper and nothing. Is this something that can happen these calipers if they sit for 6 months?
    try tapping the caliper smartly with a small hammer... sometimes with age it gets clogged up and cant bleed. at the dealer, I had to do this same thing.
    clint
    2006 X5 L83 5.3 6l80 swapped in progress
    1999 528i 5.7L 4l60e swapped w/ 31 spline 8.8 cobra diff
    2007 ZX-10r - sold
    1987 R-10 SWB L83 5.3L 6L80e swapped

My Cars
    96 E36 Coyote 5.0
    Quote Originally Posted by modular93fox View Post

try tapping the caliper smartly with a small hammer... sometimes with age it gets clogged up and cant bleed. at the dealer, I had to do this same thing.
    clint
    I'll give it a shot.
    Last edited by Fendbass22; 01-20-2013 at 10:44 PM.

My Cars
    1995 M3 , 1995 325IS
    Super!!!! I like the coyote SUPER NICE SETUP. did you buy a F150 from manuel truck or auto ? did any problem with harness to plug into the control pack
    Cheers
    Last edited by 1992GTR; 01-23-2013 at 04:25 PM.

My Cars
    96 E36 Coyote 5.0
    Well, tapping the caliper didn't work but after ripping it all apart the bleed canal was completely corroded. Drilled out and cleaned. So I finished bleeding the brakes. I don't have the hydroboost power steering hooked up and I feel no pedal resistance at all. For those with hydroboost experience... Is this normal? I'm guessing since the hydraulic section is dry there is nothing pushing against the master.

Quote Originally Posted by 1992GTR View Post
    Super!!!! I like the coyote SUPER NICE SETUP. did you buy a F150 from manuel truck or auto ? did any problem with harness to plug into the control pack
    Cheers
    New F150s don't come with manuals anymore. Any modular bell housing bolts up to the Coyote. No issues with controls pack wiring, F150 engine harness is the same as the mustang one. They did accidentally sent me a blank PCM though.
    Last edited by Fendbass22; 01-23-2013 at 07:57 PM.

My Cars
    1995 M3 , 1995 325IS
    Do you have any drawing of all your mounts or can you duplicate your mounts and sell me a kit
    Thanks

My Cars
    96 E36 Coyote 5.0
    Quote Originally Posted by 1992GTR View Post
    Do you have any drawing of all your mounts or can you duplicate your mounts and sell me a kit
    Thanks
    Not interested in selling a kit. I don't have the time (work 50+ hours a week, plus the wife and house) to manufacture and help people when they run into issues. I don't have any drawings except any flat plates that were cut on the mill. Everything else was one off parts.

Remember, you need to modify the oil pan, move the bottom of the steering column, and build your own headers. If you can do those three things making mounts is the least of your problems.

If you are really serious about it, get the motor and modify the oil pan like you see I did with mine. Set the motor in with the oil pan sitting on a 1/4" block of wood on steering cross member. Then build your mounts and headers from there. I'd have no problem telling anyone the materials I used.

My Cars
    1995 M3 , 1995 325IS
    Thanks for your reply,
    I do not have any problem to do all the mod and parts i just want to save time in the swap
    Cheers Don,

I will use a Mcleod throwout bearing . I dont want to waste my time on slave cylinder and find the right stroke
    Last edited by 1992GTR; 01-24-2013 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    350z
    Are those mounts 7ga plate, they look pretty good.

The valve covers look good to, it really pops, I found some stainless hardware at lowes and used a bench grinder and drill to bevel them and smooth them out. Worked pretty slick.

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    Quote Originally Posted by Fendbass22 View Post
    Well, tapping the caliper didn't work but after ripping it all apart the bleed canal was completely corroded. Drilled out and cleaned. So I finished bleeding the brakes. I don't have the hydroboost power steering hooked up and I feel no pedal resistance at all. For those with hydroboost experience... Is this normal? I'm guessing since the hydraulic section is dry there is nothing pushing against the master.

New F150s don't come with manuals anymore. Any modular bell housing bolts up to the Coyote. No issues with controls pack wiring, F150 engine harness is the same as the mustang one. They did accidentally sent me a blank PCM though.
    Mine has pressure on the brake pedal regardless of power steering input. It gets easier to push with the p/s. If you don't have brake pedal pressure keep trying to bleed the brake system, there is air trapped. You may have to bench bleed the master cylinder then bleed the calipers. I had to do this on the initial install of my hydro-boost.

My Cars
    96 E36 Coyote 5.0
    Quote Originally Posted by unnatrl View Post

Mine has pressure on the brake pedal regardless of power steering input. It gets easier to push with the p/s. If you don't have brake pedal pressure keep trying to bleed the brake system, there is air trapped. You may have to bench bleed the master cylinder then bleed the calipers. I had to do this on the initial install of my hydro-boost.
    Yeah maybe thats it. I figured since the power steering section of the hydroboost is completely dry there is nothing to push on to then go to the master cylinder, even if not under pressure. I guess I will find out tomorrow since all my power steering fittings and hoses showed up yesterday. My fan too.

My Cars
    1995 M3 , 1995 325IS
    I hope that can help you

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast