Replaced cooling system - Check coolant level warning

Hey guys,

I changed the cooling system yesterday. These parts were changed:

RADIATOR
    Radiator Hose upper
    Radiator Hose lower
    Expansion Tank Cap
    Coolant Expansion Tank
    COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR (the one that goes to DME)
    Thermostat with Housing and O-Ring
    Water pump was recently done as well

System was bled correctly. I drove the car around yesteday all evening, blew hot air, everything was great. Started the car in the morning and received the message CHECK COOLANT LEVEL. What could the causes be?

My Cars
    BMW 6spd 550i w Sport Pk
    Check coolant level every few days and top off as needed. The coolant has circulated through the system.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Chaze View Post
    Check coolant level every few days and top off as needed. The coolant has circulated through the system.
    Will do so and will report back.

My Cars
    98 540i/6, 85 Testarossa
    If your new expansion tank didn't come with a level sensor I'd suggest replacing that.
    It is also possible that if the tank came with a sensor it may be bad.
    The PO of my car replaced the level sensor before I bought the car and it wasn't 3 months later that I was getting level check warnings that required a new sensor to resolve.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540iA
    You did transfer over your coolant level sensor to the new expansion tank, right?

These cars are tough to bleed, so it might take a week or 2 of driving and topping off before it levels off.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Highfive99 View Post
    If your new expansion tank didn't come with a level sensor I'd suggest replacing that.
    It is also possible that if the tank came with a sensor it may be bad.
    The PO of my car replaced the level sensor before I bought the car and it wasn't 3 months later that I was getting level check warnings that required a new sensor to resolve.
    The expansion tank I purchased came with a level sensor already installed. I checked the coolant level and the float was at the bottom. I guess topping off the coolant is required. Will do that today.

My Cars
    98 540i/6, 85 Testarossa
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsm View Post
    I guess topping off the coolant is required. Will do that today.
    I would suggest this be done when the car is bone cold after sitting overnight to make sure your coolant level is at its lowest unexpanded level.

My Cars
    I would suggest this be done when the car is bone cold after sitting overnight to make sure your coolant level is at its lowest unexpanded level.
    Of course! I think it sitting about 4-5 hours outside is good enough though. I don't need to bleed it again, right? Just going to top off the coolant.

My Cars
    98 540i/6, 85 Testarossa
    Of course! I think it sitting about 4-5 hours outside is good enough though. I don't need to bleed it again, right? Just going to top off the coolant.
    4-5hrs is not enough for the coolant to unexpand(contract) and be at the lowest level. When I;ve had to top off I do it first thing in the morning after sitting overnight.

If you should notice your temp gauge swinging up to hot then back to normal or no heat coming from the heater at times a bleed is in order. But an otherwise healthy and properly bled system shouldn't need any significant topping.

My Cars
    I believe I overfilled the expansion tank today. I was pouring coolant in to in the morning and it was a bit dark, I wanted to pour to the side of the float level but I was pouring on it. When I stopped pouring it to the top and was fully up. When the cooling system is completely cold the top of the float level should be level the bottle neck of the expansion tank, correct? The float is fully up... how do I remove some coolant?

Open the expansion tank cap and squeeze upper and lower rad hose at the same time?

Thanks

My Cars
    98 540i/6, 85 Testarossa
    Do you have a turkey baster in the kitchen? Just suck a bulb or 2 worth out. It won't take much to get it back to the correct level.

My Cars
    Ok now I am confused. When I opened the expansion tank today at lunch the float came to the top but I looked and couldn't see any coolant in there. Float level came to top... where would I insert the turkey baster to suck out some coolant? I also squeezed the upper & lower rad hose, I felt coolant in there because they were a hard tough to squeeze (resistance) but no coolant came out of the expansion tank.

Link to photo of expansion tank: http://i.imgur.com/ewQwI.jpg

EDIT: Just a note, I did what I described above after the car has been sitting for 5 hours... when I touched the expansion tank it EVER so slightly warm, just a tad bit.
    Last edited by ahsm; 01-11-2013 at 01:43 PM.

My Cars
    98 540i/6, 85 Testarossa
    Ok now I am confused. When I opened the expansion tank today at lunch the float came to the top but I looked and couldn't see any coolant in there. Float level came to top... where would I insert the turkey baster to suck out some coolant? I also squeezed the upper & lower rad hose, I felt coolant in there because they were a hard tough to squeeze (resistance) but no coolant came out of the expansion tank.

Link to photo of expansion tank: http://i.imgur.com/ewQwI.jpg

EDIT: Just a note, I did what I described above after the car has been sitting for 5 hours... when I touched the expansion tank it EVER so slightly warm, just a tad bit.
    Just stick the baster down far enough into the tank to withdraw some coolant. It's OK that it pushes down the float.

Now you know what I meant in that 5hrs isn't enough to even get the tank completely cool nevermind the rest of the system.

My Cars
    Just stick the baster down far enough into the tank to withdraw some coolant. It's OK that it pushes down the float.

Now you know what I meant in that 5hrs isn't enough to even get the tank completely cool nevermind the rest of the system.
    Yeah, now I know. But, the expansion tank cap has a valve that should allow excess coolant to spill out, correct? Technically, I don't need to use the turkey baster since excess coolant will be removed by itself.