Thread: Secondary Air Pump Delete Help!!

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Coupe

Secondary Air Pump Delete Help!!

So I just deleted my SAP and plugged the SAP hole on the headers, However the vacuum hose that use to be connected to the check valve still remains, what am I suppose to do with this hose? can I plug this as well or do I have to fully delete it?

1997 BMW ///M3 Hellrot
    "60% of the time, it works everytime"

My Cars
    98 S54 M3 / 16 Audi SQ5
    Assuming you have an M50 manifold... There's a white striped vacuum hose that T's off the hose going to the FPR. You can just connect the FPR vacuum hose directly to the manifold and delete that T. That white striped hose then leads to the SAP solenoid, and from there you have a blue striped hose that runs to the hard line in front of the vanos. You can delete both of those vacuum lines, as well as the hard line, and just leave the SAP solenoid plugged into the harness and out of the way.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Coupe
    but I dont have a m50 manifold... I do see the blue striped you're talking about thought, would anything happen if I just plugged the vacuum line?

1997 BMW ///M3 Hellrot

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    Quote Originally Posted by purduinaM3 View Post
    Assuming you have an M50 manifold... There's a white striped vacuum hose that T's off the hose going to the FPR. You can just connect the FPR vacuum hose directly to the manifold and delete that T. That white striped hose then leads to the SAP solenoid, and from there you have a blue striped hose that runs to the hard line in front of the vanos. You can delete both of those vacuum lines, as well as the hard line, and just leave the SAP solenoid plugged into the harness and out of the way.
    I know I asked you a bit ago about buying your SAP... now I've considered just deleting it as I don't need to pass visual inspection here in GA. Is this how you did yours?

I don't have M50 manifold yet. Although I have one sitting in the garage and I just gotta buy Eric's kit. If I do the manifold swap and do what you detailed here, will my CEL go away?

Is there any negative to deleting SAP, someone told me that it may reduce the life of the catalytic converter?
    TRM Coilovers 670F/895R | BBS LM | Corsa RSC36

My Cars
    98 S54 M3 / 16 Audi SQ5
    The function of the SAP is to turn on during cold starts and pump air into the exhaust system to help pass the unburnt fuel past the cats. I don't have cats in my car, therefore the SAP system was useless. If you still have cats, I personally wouldn't recommend deleting the system. A $100 used SAP is a lot cheaper than new catalytic converters. And no, you cannot just delete the lines, you'll need to buy a SAP simulator or else you'll have a CEL, and the simulators are just as much if not more than a used pump.

You'll have to look at the plumbing of the vacuum lines without the M50 manifold to see where the blue line leads to. I've had my M50 manifold kit for 7 years so I forget how the stock is plumbed, but it shouldn't be much different than that of the M50 kit, and shouldn't be hard to figure out what to do after you see where it leads to.

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    so you still got the SAP?

I assume I need to replace the 'valve' as well?
    TRM Coilovers 670F/895R | BBS LM | Corsa RSC36

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Coupe
    ok so basically it be easiest if I just went with the m50 manifold? also all the simulator does is prevent the CEL right? cause I don't mind the CEL, just don't wanna spend $200 for the simulator

1997 BMW ///M3 Hellrot

My Cars
    98 S54 M3 / 16 Audi SQ5
    Quote Originally Posted by propcar View Post
    so you still got the SAP?

I assume I need to replace the 'valve' as well?
    Nope, sold and gone, sorry! Wasn't going to last very long at the price I sold it for....

Quote Originally Posted by mah1688 View Post
    ok so basically it be easiest if I just went with the m50 manifold? also all the simulator does is prevent the CEL right? cause I don't mind the CEL, just don't wanna spend $200 for the simulator
    M50 manifold really has nothing to do with it, I just don't remember where the blue vacuum line leads to on a stock car. Just follow it and cap it, simple as that. The simulator just prevents the CEL, correct.

My Cars
    '99 M3, '14 X1, '15 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by purduinaM3 View Post
    Nope, sold and gone, sorry! Wasn't going to last very long at the price I sold it for....

M50 manifold really has nothing to do with it, I just don't remember where the blue vacuum line leads to on a stock car. Just follow it and cap it, simple as that. The simulator just prevents the CEL, correct.
    If you have a simulator, do you still need to have those white striped and blue striped hoses?

My Cars
    '98 M3 Alpine White
    Just plug the tit on the solenoid.
    Vacuum goes to the solenoid and gets routed to the AIR valve for a couple minutes when the engine is cold. After that the valve closes the vacuum side and vents the AIR valve to outside air to get rid of any vacuum holding the AIR valve open. That's it.

By the way, if you hook up the vacuum lines on the solenoid backwards you end up with a vacuum leak AND the vacuum in the line to the AIR valve remains and then holds that valve open continuously. This puts exhaust gas into the non-running air pump and destroys it. $270. Just sayin'.
    Last edited by tjm3; 10-09-2018 at 07:53 PM.
    See ya later,

tony
    '98 M3, '92 Dinan3, '05 R1100S BCR, '07 R1200S, Aprilia T