Thread: best coilovers for slammed e39?

My Cars
    01 540/6, 01 525IT

best coilovers for slammed e39?

Hi good morning everyone. I been searching in the web for coilovers for my 540/6 and I can't decide such ones will work perfect for a slammed height. Please post brand, price and pictures at the lowest point. Thanks in advance....
    "EL JEFE"

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    If you're searching you should have some idea of what's out there. Use Furiousmethod to find the best prices. Members here can give you a good idea of what brands are best, but you can find that out by doing an advanced search as well. There's also some good conversation about coilovers in this thread...
    Parked: pic request: e39 SLAMMED
    Last edited by jamesdc4; 01-07-2013 at 10:31 AM.

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

As per James' post above, have a search around and make a shortlist of coilovers which match what you want in your suspension requirements. Sounds as though you just want to go as low as you can, so look at all the coilover kits and see which ones allow the most drop. If that isn't low enough for you, consider getting custom made springs made or, look at converting your car to use air ride. Consider things like which size wheels you will run, which size tyres as well, look at the shape of the shoulder profile of the tyre and also consider things like suspension components, camber angles etc. Look at the budget you have for this and see which of the various routes you can go for match how much you are willing to pay to achieve it.

Cheers, Dennis!
    Last edited by DennisCooper; 01-07-2013 at 10:59 AM.

My Cars
    '03 540i/6 M-tech
    BC racing seems to be the best bang for the buck and they allow you to go very low without hurting the ride too much (Its still not going to ride great when slammed because the control arms and steering linkage will be angled upward) because they have an adjustment that raises and lowers the height without having an effect on spring pre-load like most other coilover suspension systems.

2001 330Cic/A in the same color combo is "Her" ride.

My Cars
    2003 540ia M Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin517 View Post
    BC racing seems to be the best bang for the buck and they allow you to go very low without hurting the ride too much (Its still not going to ride great when slammed because the control arms and steering linkage will be angled upward) because they have an adjustment that raises and lowers the height without having an effect on spring pre-load like most other coilover suspension systems.
    +1. I have been riding strong on mine for almost a year and have taken a nice weekend trip over to Naples and got a lot of crazy looks and wows with the BC coils I am running... The misses was comfortable in the car going across alligator alley and never complained any harshness at all. Best grand I have ever spent on a car.

My Cars
    E39M5, S123Benz
    If you can spring the money go with a air ride kit, air lift has a setup specifically made for E39's. If you don't want to fork over that kind of money, go with BC's.
    2000 Alpine White M5 on 06SW complete black sport leather: Muffler delete, eibach rear sway, Mk4 nav, bm53, oem aux, 16:9, euro lci headlights, celis tails, carbon rear diffuser
    1981 Mercedes-Benz 300TD Turbo wagon 4 speed swapped lowered, zender and AMG goodies
    2013 F-150 EcoBoost: Corsa DB, Osram CBI, LEDs, llumar tint (Gone)
    2004 Ford Ranger 5 speed (Gone)
    2001 525i 5 speed (Gone)

My Cars
    BMW
    FKs are some of the lowest riding coilovers on the market and they are some of the nicest priced quality ones as well. HERE is a link to the FK Standard Series, and HERE is a link to the FK Stainless series. The main difference between the standard and stainless is the stainless series feature stainless steel housing and are well suited for adverse weather environments.

Now if you want to get even lower than coilovers/springs will take you, air ride is the direction you want to head. Air Lift just released there E39 XL Digital kit, we have it available HERE.

Below are a few pics of an E39 aired out on the Air Lift kit, keep in mind this car is on aftermarket wheels, if your on 17s or 18s you'll probably lay body on the ground.

My Cars
    01 540/6, 01 525IT
    Thank you very much guys for all the info provided, i just cleared my doubts and im going to order the bc coilovers. Now two questions im running style 95 staggered oem wheels with 275/30/19 and 245/35/19 .

1.- will the leveling control be affected in some way once car is lowered?
    2.- should i get m5 inner fenders? ( im worry about rubbing the fuel canister)

My Cars
    1997 BMW 528i
    ISC coils, $950 excellent quality and can achieve super low

My Cars
    04 545i6/04 330ci
    Quote Originally Posted by montesgerar View Post
    Thank you very much guys for all the info provided, i just cleared my doubts and im going to order the bc coilovers. Now two questions im running style 95 staggered oem wheels with 275/30/19 and 245/35/19 .

1.- will the leveling control be affected in some way once car is lowered?
    2.- should i get m5 inner fenders? ( im worry about rubbing the fuel canister)
    Who has the best price on BC
    2001 M5

My Cars
    2002 BMW 540iA
    I purchased Ksports from Tristen at Circuit Motorsports for $1000 shipped and couldnt be happier. If I wanted I could lay the body on the ground with as much adjustment as they have.

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    One thing I would suggest researching before purchasing is whether the spring and shock are compressed when you lower the car. Many kits only lower the car by compressing the spring and shock. Which means the lower you go, the worse the ride quality. Someone else will have to confirm which kits do not do this.

Fortune Auto sells coilovers for the M5 and they do not compress the spring/shock when you bring them down. I believe the BC's are the same way but I cannot confirm. I am running Fortune's in my Touring and am very pleased with the fronts. My rears are custom and I am still waiting on the shocks to be completed so they should be available for both the sedan and touring soon.

My Cars
    04 545i6/04 330ci
    What spring rates are you guys running with B.Cs for the 540i
    2001 M5

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by prod0660 View Post
    ISC coils, $950 excellent quality and can achieve super low
    Are you referring to these...?
    http://www.isc-coilovers.com/coilovers.html

Quote Originally Posted by RVAE34 View Post
    One thing I would suggest researching before purchasing is whether the spring and shock are compressed when you lower the car.

Many kits only lower the car by compressing the spring and shock.

Which means the lower you go, the worse the ride quality.
    Someone else will have to confirm which kits do not do this.

Fortune Auto sells coilovers for the M5 and they do not compress the spring/shock when you bring them down.

I believe the BC's are the same way but I cannot confirm.
    I am running Fortune's in my Touring and am very pleased with the fronts.

My rears are custom and I am still waiting on the shocks to be completed so they should be available for both the sedan and touring soon.
    Are you running the Fortune 500 Series Coil-overs...?
    Link:
    http://www.fortune-auto.net/fortune5...scoilovers.htm

Thanks!
    Jason
    Last edited by Jason5driver; 01-08-2013 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …