Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Spring rates for drifting

My Cars
    95 325is.
    jajajaja like how this thread went, me gusta.

My Cars
    E36

My Cars
    1993 325i
    awesome information im planning on purchasing bc COs with 10k front and 12k back and running no rear swaybar

My Cars
    95 325is.
    just got my 12k springs for the back, testing them on feb 17 on a drift practice on tj all day 30 bucks, hope i like the 12ks no rear sway bar.

My Cars
    Dicktone Limo
    is that going softer or harder for you? they felt much better to me going from 10k! (also M3 bar to no bar)

My Cars
    E36
    I think that's softer for him, which should feel nice. I just went out for a ride in a 10/12k set up and it felt great. I wasn't driving but i should be jumping in at some point today.

My Cars
    95 325is.
    the first springs that i run where a set of 15.5k or something like that a buddy give to me, there where stiff like a mother f..., super quick transitions very responsive, have to be awake to predict steering and throttle there where good to start, but then when trying to follow some fast ls powered cars the grip was just not there and also not much smoke.

then to pursuit some grip i went to 8k spring and wow!, alot of grip compared to the 15k i used to run low pressure before and have to raise it for the 8k because the grip was just to much alot of smoke but the car straightened almost immediately after i let go the throttle, so was hard to maintain the car on a slide during tandem with slower cars or very closed by, the amount of grip should be fine maybe for a high powered 500+hp car but im around the 200 so not for me.

so right now its softer to stiffer.

My Cars
    E36, E46, E53, GTV
    I back Sean (SLR) completely on mostly everything he has stated here.

Bars and tires play a huge roll in everything as well, So you will need to pair them correctly. I run a very large front bar and a stock rear bar with low spring rates. The anti squat and rear suspension on our cars is nearly perfect for drifting, so if you let the suspension travel, there are not really any negatives. You can transfer weight, you can go over large bumps on throttle without gaining a shit load of toe and camber... Basically our cars are the best... lol.

I think the shock is much more important then the spring rate tho... Having full control over the spring and speed of movement is key to having grip and the ability to control it...

Best starting point is getting an adjustable shock and 450lb front, 670lb rear. Then drop the rear spring down as you need more grip and add power.

400-450 is the Jam in the front.

www.ienjoydrifting.com
    2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan - 700hp/700tq M52 Drift car.

My Cars
    1993 318i L33 Swapped
    Quote Originally Posted by ienjoydrifting View Post
    I back Sean (SLR) completely on mostly everything he has stated here.

Bars and tires play a huge roll in everything as well, So you will need to pair them correctly. I run a very large front bar and a stock rear bar with low spring rates. The anti squat and rear suspension on our cars is nearly perfect for drifting, so if you let the suspension travel, there are not really any negatives. You can transfer weight, you can go over large bumps on throttle without gaining a shit load of toe and camber... Basically our cars are the best... lol.

I think the shock is much more important then the spring rate tho... Having full control over the spring and speed of movement is key to having grip and the ability to control it...

Best starting point is getting an adjustable shock and 450lb front, 670lb rear. Then drop the rear spring down as you need more grip and add power.

400-450 is the Jam in the front.
    What link setup did you use for the front and do you have a pic by any chance? I have a e36 im trying to figure it out with the SLR and would like another take on it. Thinking of welding tabs on the arms and run a stiffer bar to compensate for that mounting point instead of the strut(spins too much to run the end links).

Thanks
    1993 318i L33/T56 Swapped Drift Thingy L33 Blew Up Time For LS2

SLR is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '08 E46, E36,
    Quote Originally Posted by 4CFEDFD View Post
    What link setup did you use for the front and do you have a pic by any chance? I have a e36 im trying to figure it out with the SLR and would like another take on it. Thinking of welding tabs on the arms and run a stiffer bar to compensate for that mounting point instead of the strut(spins too much to run the end links).

Thanks

Matt, check this out, should work pretty good.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Panhar...FQ3nnAodlm4ABA

My Cars
    1993 318i L33 Swapped
    ^Sweet that should work, only think would be spinning on the arm but may throw some weld on the arm to prevent that. Thanks

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    What's wrong with just running OEM non-M endlinks?

-Mike
    IG: @mikevanshellenbeck

My Cars
    '08 E46, E36,
    Quote Originally Posted by 4CFEDFD View Post
    ^Sweet that should work, only think would be spinning on the arm but may throw some weld on the arm to prevent that. Thanks
    It's designed to lock onto the bar when tightened, so that shouldn't be a problem; you'll just need some heim type sway links.

My Cars
    1993 318i L33 Swapped
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeE36 View Post
    What's wrong with just running OEM non-M endlinks?

-Mike
    Im running the tubed adjustble arms they dont have a mount and the m3 style links dont allow it to lock all the way so need something like what Sean posted to clamp on the arm.

My Cars
    96 M3
    you can do like mike did and grab a cheap set of non-M links from napa or auto zone or hit up rapper dan and get a set of Sikky links.

My Cars
    1987 328i (track car)
    Just for reference, here's a link with a spring rate conversion from kg/mm to lb/in

http://hondaswap.com/reference-mater...n-chart-30786/
    Speed>Elegance

My Cars
    Dicktone Limo
    or just google "XX lb/in to kg/mm" or "XX kg/mm to lb/in"

My Cars
    E46 M3, E36 M3, E36 323
    I agree with a lot of what Sean and Chelsea said, sorry I didn't read absolutely everyone's post. I'm working with Odi Bakchis and FEAL suspension producing a good drift coil over. I have 8k front 9k rears. I used to have tckline s/a's with 450/500. I have stock front and rear bars and my car has tons of grip all the way around. Odi custom valved the shocks to the springs on his shock dyno. The car is 50/50 weight balance, 40lbs difference between front to rear and 3lbs side to side. I like the soft spring rates, I have smooth transitions and like I said, tons of grip. I have an NA m52 with an s52 top end.

My Cars
    BMW E36 328i
    What do you thing about 9kg front, 10kg rear springs with stock bars and x-brace on front? The car is natural aspirated M52b28 200whp.

My Cars
    E36
    Quote Originally Posted by justasickE30 View Post
    I agree with a lot of what Sean and Chelsea said, sorry I didn't read absolutely everyone's post. I'm working with Odi Bakchis and FEAL suspension producing a good drift coil over. I have 8k front 9k rears. I used to have tckline s/a's with 450/500. I have stock front and rear bars and my car has tons of grip all the way around. Odi custom valved the shocks to the springs on his shock dyno. The car is 50/50 weight balance, 40lbs difference between front to rear and 3lbs side to side. I like the soft spring rates, I have smooth transitions and like I said, tons of grip. I have an NA m52 with an s52 top end.
    It's my opinion that at least a 100lbs difference is needed for e36. Ideally a smudge over 200lbs is ideal, as Sean and Chelsea stated. A 50 lbs difference for me and my customers felt really bad. Different strokes for different folks but that has been my experience.

My Cars
    '08 E46, E36,
    Quote Originally Posted by nassso View Post
    What do you thing about 9kg front, 10kg rear springs with stock bars and x-brace on front? The car is natural aspirated M52b28 200whp.
    With 9k in front I'd go at least 12k in the back.

Maybe 10k for 400whp
    Last edited by SLR; 02-04-2013 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2JZ E30
    Sean, can you recommend a spring rate/setup for my E30?

2JZ swap with R154 trans ~500whp
    16x9 +15 front and rear
    Currently on BC 10k12k (What should it be due to the added weight of the 2J?)
    Stock Sways
    E36 Rack
    R Comps on the front
    Whatever I can find on the rear
    Soon to have SLR Angle Kit when I gather the funds.

Basically, I need to know what spring rates I should run front and rear with this setup. Currently I am getting ZERO traction in the rear (due to narrow street tires and way too much camber, that is all being fixed to around 1-1.5*). On transitions its feels like its losing all grip, and when initiating the lack of rear grip causes me to hang the corner till I slow down enough, and then hammer back on the gas. I know Ill probably ditch the sway bars when I get the SLR kit as well, or do you recommend using a heim joint link for sways and keeping a good front bar? What about the stock rear bar? It seems useless...
    - AXIS POWERS - 2JZ E30 Build -
    Interested in Drifting in the ArkLaTex? Join us at ArkLaTexDrift!
    318Racing.org

My Cars
    '08 E46, E36,
    Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPYDUB View Post
    Sean, can you recommend a spring rate/setup for my E30?

2JZ swap with R154 trans ~500whp
    16x9 +15 front and rear
    Currently on BC 10k12k (What should it be due to the added weight of the 2J?)
    Stock Sways
    E36 Rack
    R Comps on the front
    Whatever I can find on the rear
    Soon to have SLR Angle Kit when I gather the funds.

Basically, I need to know what spring rates I should run front and rear with this setup. Currently I am getting ZERO traction in the rear (due to narrow street tires and way too much camber, that is all being fixed to around 1-1.5*). On transitions its feels like its losing all grip, and when initiating the lack of rear grip causes me to hang the corner till I slow down enough, and then hammer back on the gas. I know Ill probably ditch the sway bars when I get the SLR kit as well, or do you recommend using a heim joint link for sways and keeping a good front bar? What about the stock rear bar? It seems useless...
    The spring rates seem fairly close for the car with swap, but the R-comps will give the big front grip bias. Having the extra front grip in hand is nice, but if you balance the car out more grip-wise you can get more out of it. Just get something around 200 treadwear in front, and under 300 in back.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325IS
    I'm running somewhere near 350whp, but only very much near redline. My AA s/c kit makes max boost above 5.5k rpm.

I'd rather not rev limit bounce just to maintain a decent drift. Should I settle for a much higher rate in the rate in the rear? I'd like to less rear grip, eliminate understeer, and drift on the street with summer street tires. Car will hardly see track time. Currently running Eibach sport springs (no idea on rate) all around, and Tokico Blue front, with rear oem shocks. My current setup is horrific. Bouncy front, and the rear is completely uncontrollable once it lets loose. Don't blame me, the previous owner set it up as a "pimp car". Cool guy, but didn't have performance in mind with this car, only straight line speed, hence the s/c kit.

I'm not stranger to a stiff ride, but this is my DD. Couldn't care less if passengers find it unappealing though. I'm a litte worried that my Koni yellows will not like more than a 650lb rate rear. Should that be my starting point, and then decide on front rate based on the 650 rear?

Running stock front swaybar (325IS). My 27mm UUC front bar hits my intercooler piping and dramatically lowers the boost/piping angle, so I am thus unable to use more than the stock 325 bar. Would like to eliminate the rear bar as I've heard upgraded rear bars can cause an uncomfortable ride. Unless keeping the rear bar is a necessity, I'm fine with removing it.

My choice of shock is Koni Yellow hands down, but I'm afraid of the insert process into the M shock, so I'd rather just stay with my 325 shocks, and run a larger front bar.
    Last edited by Rash; 03-06-2013 at 08:46 AM.

AA C30-94 S/C w/ 85mm pulley, AA headers, AA track pipe, UUC RSC36.

My Cars
    Dicktone Limo
    with these motors, bouncing the limiter is the name of the game.

if you don't want to ride the limiter, swap in a chevy v8.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast