Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Spring rates for drifting

My Cars
    1994 e36 325i no-vanos
    It has nothing to do with camber it has to do with weight transfer, weight = grip... sort of you'd have to read this to understand:
    http://www.turnfast.com/tech_handlin...ling_weightxfr

My Cars
    97 bmw 320, 94 bmwm3
    so you soften suspension to "steal" grip from front tires under acceleration/squat?
    Have I got that right?
    like the exact opposite of standard racing?

My Cars
    1994 e36 325i no-vanos
    Yes, although the article does say that more grip is lost during a weight transfer rather then just using a stiff setup where there is hardly any weight transfer.

My Cars
    97 bmw 320, 94 bmwm3
    yes but thats with wheels not spinning.
    what change in alignment should one do if softening the suspension?
    Does the e36 rear toe out under squat?

My Cars
    1994 e36 325i no-vanos
    Yes it has more toe out and negative camber under squat, which is why I run 0°10 degree toe in at the rear. Some people even run positive camber at the rear so it becomes 0 camber under squat.

(you always want to use more toe in at the rear to gain more rear end grip instead of camber never use camber to gain more grip for drifting at the rear).

My Cars
    Martini BMW E36
    Beautiful thread that needs reviving with some extra info. So I will let you know what they say if they ever reply, but does anyone know the generic Eibach ProStreet-S coilover kit, that use to be suggested years ago to every single person looking for quality coilovers, what the spring rates are front and rear. I tried checking out the box, nothing on the instructions and internet search failed as well.
    https://i.imgur.com/bvAYm0l.jpg
    This is why I hate buying generic stuff, when even at this price the technical data such as spring rates (lbs/inch or kg/mm) should be listed, it's almost like the unknown chinese coilovers. Anyway if anybody can help, knows about the Prostreet-S, or have a vague idea what it will be roughly, I'd love to hear about it.

p.s Bet you [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ιοο̲̅)̲̅$̲̅] I get an email saying "We appreciate you contacting us but we can't not disclose this information as it's trade secrets. Yours sincerely - Team Eibach"

My Cars
    e36 325ic
    From some searching real quick i got this from an e46 m3 post... Comes with 400lb/in front and 450lb/in rears. (7.15kg/mm & 8.0kg/mm) for you metric guys.
    and this from an e90 post...
    Eibach Pro Street S Front: 134 - 271 lb/in (Progressive) Rear: 456 lb/in (Linear) (~4k front and ~8k rear). not sure about e36 could be somewhere to start since both have around 8k rears.

Check the springs for part numbers and see if there's anything and go from there. and if you're worried about them sharing the info I would just email eibach and mention that you are changing your suspension setup and don't know the spring rates on your coilovers which you need and see what happens. I've emailed bc and fortune auto on past sets of coilovers i've had with no issue

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    yeah, spring rates are pretty important info for the end consumer to have, most companies list it right on their sites. I doubt they'd try to keep it a secret.

My Cars
    LS E46
    Quote Originally Posted by S1Driver View Post
    Beautiful thread that needs reviving with some extra info. So I will let you know what they say if they ever reply, but does anyone know the generic Eibach ProStreet-S coilover kit, that use to be suggested years ago to every single person looking for quality coilovers, what the spring rates are front and rear. I tried checking out the box, nothing on the instructions and internet search failed as well.
    https://i.imgur.com/bvAYm0l.jpg
    This is why I hate buying generic stuff, when even at this price the technical data such as spring rates (lbs/inch or kg/mm) should be listed, it's almost like the unknown chinese coilovers. Anyway if anybody can help, knows about the Prostreet-S, or have a vague idea what it will be roughly, I'd love to hear about it.

p.s Bet you [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ιοο̲̅)̲̅$̲̅] I get an email saying "We appreciate you contacting us but we can't not disclose this information as it's trade secrets. Yours sincerely - Team Eibach"
    Who cares what the rates are? They're not gonna be good for drifting, they're for grip driving, you're gonna need to replace the springs with your own rates. At least the rears anyways.

My Cars
    Martini BMW E36
    I've been so busy, I'm late to the party but let's do a recap and ask some final questions before I make a purchase.
    First off what did I tell you about Eibach? Am I Nostradamus or what? I want my [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ιοο̲̅)̲̅$̲̅] bet guys

Eibach Sales <sales@eibach.co.uk> 5 Dec 2018 at 08:45
    Thanks for your email.

Can you provide me with your engine size? For the E36 we offer 2 kits depending on which engine.

I do know that the rear spring is the same on both. This is a progressive spring with 3 rates, unfortunately I am unable to give out the rates this is due to company policy.

Best regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Aftermarket Sales

Geschäftsführer: Dipl.-Ing. Jürgen Schulte, Dipl.-Betriebswirt Markus Simon
    Handelsregister: AG Siegen HR B 5867

https://i.imgur.com/3wCyTLD.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/Hc4w4lz.jpg
    Second, so I'm finally done reinforcing the subframe and just in the process of ordering some polybushing. I think you are right I'm guessing it's 8kg-10kg rear spring. It's hard to tell stepping on it and bouncing around, I wish there was a way measuring by guestimate, it's definitely not soft, but it's not hard as a rock either. I've actually decided to definitely try something stiffer 14kg-16kg, especially when I found springs are around 35gbp each. But here is the million dollar question, where the hell do you guys find these 16-18kg springs for sale?
    So far I've found BC Racing to do springs but in a typical manner their salesman confused the crap out of me saying "I am afraid BC do not do a 16kg spring in the recommended 160mm spring. We do have a 160mm 12kg spring available which we could offer. Yes the spring part number would be 62-160-12-S and the 'S' stands for barrel spring which is the same diameter top and bottom and barrels out in the centre. The 160 is the overall length, BC list the 160mm as the default length."
    Ok so I figured he is maybe playing it safe and trying to sell me an E36 specific spring, hence my question is, does E46 rear springs fit E36? Link to the actual springs I'm thinking of ordering: http://www.bc-racing.co.uk/springs/b...ar-spring.html 62.140.14-S so the first number remains the same, second is 140 instead of 160 and it's a 14kg S for barrel spring. 14kg was the highest I could find. Worst case scenario I end up returning them if they don't fit but was hoping somebody here could save me the headache. When I measure my spring in height they are 185mm tall and about 145mm wide so clearly the numbers don't match even their "correct" 12kg spring dimensions
    https://i.imgur.com/dyjVXdu.jpg
    I'd appreciate any help at this point. Thanks

My Cars
    LS E46
    BC doesn’t make spring’s, first of all, so not sure what you’re looking for from them. Eibach and Swift are really the only two brands you need be looking at. Eibach does make a barrel type spring but is not really necessary.

You’re also not going to find a direct drop-in that won’t need an adjuster - and you don’t want a spring like that because adjusting the height of your car is part of the process of making the car handle the way you want it to.

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    1. Get a 10k or 12k IF YOU MUST be stiff.
    2. 16k is for the stance people who have basically 0 suspension travel.
    3. I prefer linear vs barrel but I do have both. I think the barrel kind is a little softer for street cars.
    4. It's smart to base your spring around your cars power and weight, some drift cars are gutted and the rear is light, some have a ton of power and you want the rear to squat for grip, some have no power and you want stiff to slide it around easy. This is why I believe the standard BC gives you is 8K. It kinda works well enough for every E36 application.
    Last edited by Press22; 08-15-2019 at 01:02 PM.
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    1999 328ic , 2002 325xi
    ^ I think BC is 8K front, 10K rear for their standard E36 kits.

I've run 8, 9, 10, 12, 14 and 16kg in the rear. If you are on a mostly stock engine, 16 works pretty well. Drop rate as you increase power. I bring a few different sets of rear springs to the track since its easy enough to swap them out.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345