Thread: "Washer Fluid Low" after new sensor & jumping connector. Need help w/ next steps...

My Cars
    540iT/6, 95 M3, 87 325is

"Washer Fluid Low" after new sensor & jumping connector. Need help w/ next steps...

I've been trying to figure out why my car is still showing me the "Washer Fluid Low" warning in the instrument cluster.

Update:
    tl;dr - If you have a Touring, don't forget that you have a rear window washer reservoir as well. It will throw the "Washer Fluid Low" warning, no matter how much troubleshooting you do on the front reservoir/sensor.

So far I have:
    1) confirmed washer reservoir is full
    2) replaced sensor with new
    3) jumpered (shorted) the two pins on the sensor connector
    4) unwrapped the tape from the wire harness about 6 or 8 inches (to the first branch point on the inner fender) and confirmed no broken wires (at least in that run)

None of these made the warning go away. What next - find a copy of the electrical schematic and start tracing circuits looking for open circuits? grrr...

After typing out all my troubleshooting procedure above, something just occurred to me:

I have a Touring - it has a rear window washer, which I never use (and is therefore likely empty).

Can anyone with a Touring confirm if the car will flash the warning for REAR window washer reservoir being empty?

I'm at work right now, so unfortunately, can't run to the garage to test this hypothesis...
    Last edited by sac02; 01-03-2013 at 08:39 AM.
    LeMons or bust!

My Cars
    95 S50 525T;85 QTR til 8
    Yes, it will show the message if the rear reservoir is low / empty.

1989 635CSi Alpinewieß
    1989 325iC Alpineweiß II
    1985 745i Cosmosblau / Pacificblau cloth
    1995 525iT S50 / 5 speed Alpineweiß III
    1985 635i Cosmosblau
    1998.5 M3 Technoviolent
    1990 325iC
    1999 528i

My Cars
    1989 535i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by sac02 View Post
    After typing out all my troubleshooting procedure above, something just occurred to me:

I have a Touring - it has a rear window washer, which I never use (and is therefore likely empty).
    This made me lol.

Glad you thought of it now then later. Don't know how much more you could have replaced though, lol. Don't have a touring but that does make sense.

My Cars
    540iT/6, 95 M3, 87 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by ltflint View Post
    Yes, it will show the message if the rear reservoir is low / empty.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenitramNaes View Post
    This made me lol.

Glad you thought of it now then later. Don't know how much more you could have replaced though, lol. Don't have a touring but that does make sense.
    Yeah, apparently typing all that out got some of the rusty gears in my brain turning.

Heh, I'm going to rush home this afternoon like a kid on Christmas; that message has been a pain in my ass for months now. If filling the rear reservoir works, I'll be simultaneously excited to finally clear the warning, and frustrated with myself for not figuring out the simple solution sooner...
    LeMons or bust!

My Cars
    1995 525i, 1997 Dinan 5
    Quote Originally Posted by sac02 View Post
    Thanks.

Yeah, apparently typing all that out got some of the rusty gears in my brain turning.

Heh, I'm going to rush home this afternoon like a kid on Christmas; that message has been a pain in my ass for months now. If filling the rear reservoir works, I'll be simultaneously excited to finally clear the warning, and frustrated with myself for not figuring out the simple solution sooner...
    Make sure the sensor is rotated in the correct position, pins pointing down with the fluid reservoir mounted. The float must be oriented correctly for the sensor to work.
    525i / Dinan Tune / Morimoto MH1 HID / BC Racing Coil-over
    540i Dinan 5 / 6 Speed+M5 drivetrain / M5 HID / M5 Alcantara Interior

My Cars
    93 525iT,91 318i
    Just jumper the pins on the rear reservoir. Problem solved.

My Cars
    1989 535i/5
    Bump for an update!

My Cars
    E34 M5 ;( Jag F-Type:D
    But like stated earlier, make sure the sensor is the proper way up. When i first bought my car i had the same "washer fluid low" annoyance, whoever put the tank and sensor together put it in upside down. But seeing as how you disconnected the sensor and tried jumping it and nothing happened I'd say look at the electrical diagram but check the grounds in the circuit.
    Last edited by robbytrent; 01-03-2013 at 02:39 AM.

My Cars
    '95 540iA
    May also be a ccm problem, but that is about as likely as a wiring fault.

Quote Originally Posted by 1990525i View Post
    the bees knees

My Cars
    540iT/6, 95 M3, 87 325is
    Update:

It WAS the rear washer fluid that was low and throwing the warning. (Filling the rear fluid made it go away).

Slightly embarrassed that it took me so long to figure that out, but more relieved to finally be rid of that warning.

Maybe someone, somewhere, will see this thread and avoid making the same stupid mistake, heh.

Quote Originally Posted by madhakish View Post
    Make sure the sensor is rotated in the correct position, pins pointing down with the fluid reservoir mounted. The float must be oriented correctly for the sensor to work.
    My reservoir has a tab to ensure the sensor is installed correctly. But during my troubleshooting, I tried with the sensor in and out of the tank, right side up, upside down, and sideways.
    Last edited by sac02; 01-03-2013 at 08:39 AM.
    LeMons or bust!

My Cars
    1989 535i/5
    Glad everything worked out and it was something as simple as that!

My Cars
    87vert & 24V sedan,98 M3
    Have to bump this because this literally just happened to me. I was so focused on the front res that I totally forgot about the rear one. Plus I had not used it all summer so it's been a while since I checked it.