Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Building Tube Frame E46 GTR

My Cars
    1995 540i 6 speed
    I didn't realize there were so many versions of the PTG body work. Our shop is currently building a few replica cars as well. We were lucky enough to have a customer with a real PTG car.

Any idea on what version we are working with?

EDIT: Looks like as a new guy I can't post the actual links to the pics.
    Last edited by boostedinaz; 02-14-2013 at 12:35 PM. Reason: pics

My Cars
    a lot
    thanks for posting!

we had no idea there were different versions, until BMW motorsports told us.
    Your's looks to be a later version, the early version has a much different front bumper.

I could only see one pic. with the link.

I need to see a side profile.

email me the pics. at Hooverc@turbohoses.com and I'll post them for you.

thanks!

My Cars
    1995 540i 6 speed
    Quote Originally Posted by m3turboptg View Post
    thanks for posting!

we had no idea there were different versions, until BMW motorsports told us.
    Your's looks to be a later version, the early version has a much different front bumper.

I could only see one pic. with the link.

I need to see a side profile.

email me the pics. at Hooverc@turbohoses.com and I'll post them for you.

thanks!
    Email sent.

Thanks

My Cars
    a lot

nice!!!

another pic. from, mike.

mike, i took a closer look at your body.
    my customer is the owner of the tooling for the bodies you use. The U.S. bodies are very different than the original German versions.

Keep up the awesome work and do post more or I can do it for you, just send me the pics.
    Last edited by m3turboptg; 02-14-2013 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    none

My Cars
    a lot
    image-1856713350.jpg I've been very busy. Minus roof, door skins and rockers, these are moulds for a stock e46 m3.

My Cars
    E46 M3
    Any updates?

My Cars
    Z3's...
    Hoover's a busy guy. I saw him at Buttonwillow, October 5th-6th, and he was supporting Robert Green's Noble. Which brings up the other side of his bussiness: I hear he's bringing out a new racing version of a Noble....

My Cars
    a lot

Hey Folks,

I'm sorry I've been MIA. With all of our time spent on our new race car and competing in Gt-1, I have no breathing space.

We're building a full tube frame e46 still. Here's one of the GTR fenders which will be installed on a tube frame chassis.

My Cars
    none
    Uhhhh... soo hawt

My Cars
    97 328is, Srt8 Superbee
    Wow. That looks amazing!

My Cars
    M3 E46 RHD
    Very Nice work And idea

My Cars
    a lot

thanks.

I wish we had the TMS chassis for the E92. That would be expensive, but save a ton of time.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Old shoe View Post
    I hate to burst your bubble but with that engine your minimum weight is 2680 lbs. At 600 hp you won't be competitive at all. Your going to need at least another 100 hp. I think you would be better off in GT-2 running a 6 cylinder. If you haven't done so, I would sit down and read the SCCA's GCR before you decide on a class. Why build a car just to run in the back of the pack.
    I know this is VERY late to respond to, but I have nothing to quantify a response. So, I am currently racing in Gt-1., 2014. My car is 2720 and must be 2650 competition weight. It's 480hp and currently we've won the regional championship and Sept. we defend our title for divisional. If we run a faster tire, our lap times will be sub 1:31 at Laguna which a 3-4 seconds behind the fastest Trans Am cars driven by Michael Lewis. SCCA has asked us to attend the Majors next year and they will install a datalogger and allow us modifications to more/less even the playing ground. I didn't not expect to even qualify for the Runoffs more or less podium at every single race we entered; especially in a class like gt-1. Lots of money, testing and most of all--- LUCK!

The problem with the bmw v8 is the lack of tq, IMO., compared to the American v8's. Some of those Trans Am cars have motors that are heavily maintained after each/every race. Very high budgets.

One of my customer's will be running in GT2 next year with s54 and we have another e46 gt2 that's doing well with an s14 in GT2. He'll also be racing at the Runoff's.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by M369 View Post
    Very Nice work And idea
    Thanks, I can't say that it's our design. It's the Schnitzer race body work that was only for BMW Motorsports of Germany.

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpgimage.jpg

a few pics. of the Schnitzer GTR, which I'm sure most of you have seen before. I have access to all the drawings of under side of the panels and suspension. Underneath is nothing like a standard M3. There are so many modifications with every aspect of aero, suspension and overall drivetrain components, it's exciting to see a part of history.

- - - Updated - - -

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by m3turboptg; 08-26-2014 at 01:05 AM.

My Cars
    a lot
    image.jpgimage.jpg

we have nearly all the toolng to build an entire carbon e46 m3.
    we're only missing the rockers, which could be made out of thin sheet metal.
    GT2/3 does not allow fender modifications.
    The weight of a tube chassis with carbon body an s54 is about 2050lbs.

My Cars
    none
    Sorry to bring up a super old thread however this was one of my all time favorite builds on this forum. Can anyone tell me what had happened with it and if there are any current updates? Perhaps an Instagram account to follow? YouTube? Shop name? Really really wanted to see this come to fruition and I know it's a long shot be here goes nothin'!

-Colby @_LUXFAB

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123