Thread: Why does BMW not participate in the DTM series?

My Cars
    2013 MINI R56S

Why does BMW not participate in the DTM series?

I've caught a couple of races here and there on SpeedVision, and am wondering. Is there something about the rules of the class that I haven't noticed (BMW not producing something that would fit within their guidelines?), or is it a political situation (tiff between the company and the sanctioning body), or something else entirely?

"Entscheiden Sie sich nicht nur für ein besonderes Automobil,
    sondern auch für einen eigenen Standpunkt."

My Cars
    GT3 RS, Miata R, F31
    $$$$$$$ (F1 sucked it all up) Germany's budget was spent on that. America's budget (some of Germanys too) is spent on ALMS & GrandAm. Although I've heard that if the series is running good and the money is there, they might join in by 2004 (especially since they already stuffed a V8 in the M3) DTM is much cheaper than years back, but still very expensive to run.
    "Way-dull" Racing #74

My Cars
    '91 E34 M5, '89 325i, '00 Saab 9-5 Wagon
    Newsflash. BMW only built the V8 ALMS car in order to develop the engine for DTM. Whether we like it or not, BMW running in the ALMS doesn't affect their sales very much. Americans don't care too much for road racing. The average M3 buyer in the U.S. wouldn't know what ALMS is. That's the reason that BMW isn't pushing too hard to meet the rules to stay in the ALMS series this year...it's just not worth their time of $$. American's will buy the M3 whether they see it race or not.

By the way, BMW NA doesn't spend any money in the Grand-Am series. I know the owner of the one of the BMW teams in Grand-Am. It's a totally private effort. All of his cars are ex-PTG cars. The M5 engined M3 is a privateer effort as well, but I believe they were helped in the beginning by PTG in an effort to do some pre-testing of a V8 before they had access to the 4.0 liter.

However, in Europe, racing has a much greater impact on sales and reaches a far larger customer base. The ALMS season was simply a way to develop the 4.0 V8 for their jump into DTM which should happen in the next two seasons. Why else do you think Schnitzer raced alongside PTG? PTG has been racing the M3 in America for years and would be the natural program for BMW to choose if they wanted to make a serious ALMS effort. PTG was given strick rules on the V8. They weren't allowed to open up the engines whatsoever. The engines had to remain sealed after they came from BMW. It's pretty obvious that BMW wasn't looking to make a serious extended effort with the V8 M3 in America. The new rules are a good excuse to go ahead and get out now after having such a successful season. Schnitzer ran the ALMS in America season because they will be the team behind the factory DTM effort.

It's really too bad. I was looking forward to watching the M3 race along the streets of D.C. this year in the ALMS race.
    Last edited by BMWRacerITS; 01-02-2002 at 03:27 AM.

My Cars
    BMW 330is, Galant VR-4
    So you don't think PTG will be back with the V8 M3 next season? What else will they run? What else could they run? I really doubt that they'll just stop racing because the Schnitzer team goes back to Germany to run DTM.

If PTG wasn't a serious ALMS effort, than what, they were just for show? Also, the "production" V8 M3 exists. We've all seen pictures of it. I doubt it will ever be on the streets over here, but they've got it and are building enough to comply with the rules.

If PTG wasn't allowed to open up the engines, how did fix them or work on them? The mechanics just guess what was wrong? I'd imagine they do a lot of work on those engines pre and post race just keeping them running properly.

Also, I think anyone who would buy the M3, new or used, would know something of it's heritage and racing because why else would they pay the extra cash for the M? BMW has more than enough snob-appeal by itself. A person doesn't need the M to make up snob appeal. If anything a person like that would not want the M becasue they'd find it too harsh of a suspension and they'd want a slushbox which isn't available in the new M3...

Well, these are just my $.02 but if you've been talking to Tom Milner please let us know..

Enjoy..

-Saint
    '93 BMW 330is - For Sale! PM or e-mail if interested
    '92 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4

My Cars
    BMW 330is, Galant VR-4

OK, nevermind...

I'm an idiot.. Oh well.. I guess I'll have to read the other threads in the news group...

Sorry bout that...

Saint
    '93 BMW 330is - For Sale! PM or e-mail if interested
    '92 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4

My Cars
    '91 E34 M5, '89 325i, '00 Saab 9-5 Wagon
    Originally posted by Saint
    Also, I think anyone who would buy the M3, new or used, would know something of it's heritage and racing because why else would they pay the extra cash for the M? BMW has more than enough snob-appeal by itself. A person doesn't need the M to make up snob appeal. If anything a person like that would not want the M becasue they'd find it too harsh of a suspension and they'd want a slushbox which isn't available in the new M3...
    I hate the break the news, but ///M is beginning to stand more for Marketing every day.

Sure, the E46 M3 is fast and has some neat gadgets. Yippee. The thing is a pig of a car. It hardly rides any harsher than a 330. The connection to the road is nearly completely lost. There are too many electronic controls. Too much sound deadening. The ///M cars are bought more for image than anything else these days. How many of these cars actually see the track? How many more stories am I going to hear of owners saying the engine makes weird noises? How many pictures have I seen of new M3's wadded up on the side of the road by guys younger than myself (21) who's daddy bought them the car so they could be a cool kid at their high school?

Let's face it. While the modern ///M cars accelerate harder, corner better, and stop faster, they are a far cry from the enthusiast cars such as the E30 M3 and the E28 M5. It's not going to get any better either. Whether I like it or not, BMW is in the business to make money, and right now, the ///M logo is a cash cow.