Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: Why does my Pioneer radio/CD player get so hot!!??

Why does my Pioneer radio/CD player get so hot!!??

This Pioneer radio/CD player had been installed by the previous owner, but I've noticed on several occasions that after you've been driving a while and you're listening to a CD, the CD starts to skip or the sound gets crackly and the face of the radio is really hot! When you eject the CD, you could damn near fry an egg on the thing!

Anyone ever run into this issue?
    If you did what was the solution?

Thanks!

My Cars
    E24, 3 E36, e39 540
    how many individual speakers are you running?
    How old can you guess/know the Pioneer receiver is?
    is it only when you're playing a CD or does it also do this on the tuner or AUX?

Quote Originally Posted by NbAmTwE View Post
    how many individual speakers are you running?
    How old can you guess/know the Pioneer receiver is?
    is it only when you're playing a CD or does it also do this on the tuner or AUX?

I'm running four individual Alpine speakers. 6.5" in rear, 4" in the front.
    I just popped them in, using the old wiring, no amp. Just haven't had the time to rewire anything or install the Alpine amp I had picked up a while back.

The head unit was put in by previous owner approx. a year ago, perhaps just over a year.
    Model is a Pioneer CQ-DF602U
    MOSFET 50Wx4

Seems that it heats up regardless of what's being used, though I've only used the tuner and the CD player, not the AUX option as of yet.
    Last edited by SMJ325ix; 12-31-2012 at 12:25 AM.

My Cars
    M3 Buildup
    Had this issue on my old e36 m3 where the trans tunnel insulation was missing.... The pioneer deck would get so hot it would go into a shutdown protected state. Once I put the insulation up all was well...

My Cars
    2001 330xi, E92
    Quote Originally Posted by SMJ325ix View Post
    This Pioneer radio/CD player had been installed by the previous owner, but I've noticed on several occasions that after you've been driving a while and you're listening to a CD, the CD starts to skip or the sound gets crackly and the face of the radio is really hot! When you eject the CD, you could damn near fry an egg on the thing!

Anyone ever run into this issue?
    If you did what was the solution?

Thanks!
    What model car?

Quote Originally Posted by 12v Electronics View Post
    What model car?
    '89 325ix.

My Cars
    2001 330xi, E92
    Quote Originally Posted by SMJ325ix View Post
    '89 325ix.
    BINGO!!!

Ding ding ding

You have a common ground speaker system you need to run a new speaker wire from the radio directly to each speaker.

It would help if you mention this next time or at least put it in your details

Quote Originally Posted by 12v Electronics View Post
    It would help if you mention this next time or at least put it in your details

Oh geez, sorry,...thanks for the the much needed help!!!, really appreciated!!

My Cars
    honda civic ex 1994
    i have a 1994 honda civic and i have a pioneer radio why it my radio getting hot on the back, cd or aux it gets hot just for being on

and p.s i dont know how to use this websit i would of made my own question but idk how 2

- - - Updated - - -

i have a 1994 honda civic and i have a pioneer radio why it my radio getting hot on the back, cd or aux it gets hot just for being on

My Cars
    94 Ford ranger XLT
    I put a pioneer radio in my 94 Ford ranger XLT I just bought cheap speakers from Walmart and the factory speakers in it. But it keeps getting really hot and will shut off and scratches my CDs up bad how can I fix it please help