Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Yoshi E30 LS2 Build thread

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Had to please the wife first and foremost. Granite counters, vaulted ceilings, and great school district. Cuz.. these are the things I think about now. Being a 30 something adult with one kid and probably another one coming down the line.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post
    Had to please the wife first and foremost. Granite counters, vaulted ceilings, and great school district.
    Good lord dude, no wonder you are short on car part cash... Congrats though, sounds nice!

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Babies ain't cheap. Daycare is a killer! I'm on about a $50 a month drift budget for the next... till my last kid is in kindergarten.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I did things. Here's video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdtMMdqq2HE

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Nice vid!! I like throwing in the claps between elements like between pushups, haha.

So did the foot brake at :18 help with the situation of extending to the corner, or was it just something you tried, and didn't really make any difference?

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    lol the claps were like "that worked? wow! yay!".

I thought I screwed up so I was about to just bring the car to a stop. I don't think I actually put any force on the brakes themselves. At that point, my speed was so slow that braking would have just stopped the drift.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Ok, thanks! I kind of thought that might have been the case with the "almost used footbrake," but I wasn't sure.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I hit that corner better a few times after that. But alas, my gopro ran out of batteries.
    Here's a speed heat map of the same corner but on the opposite side (mirrored track ftw). I hit about 60mph on entry and again 60mph on that extension section. Kinda blew my mind that I gained that much speed through the corner.
    Capture.PNG

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    What would happen if you tried major league left foot braking with heavy throttle application through that extension area instead of the long series of hand-brakes?

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    *shrugs* I can give it a shot next time I'm on that course. I'm still trying to figure out how that works. I feel like I'd pitch in too much to make that corner. Maybe LFB to get out farther and not have to hand brake as much after? Opinions welcome.

Really I tried this setup because we have another course that similarly has lots of corners stretched very far apart that I almost died on a few times. I'd like to practice where I won't kill myself.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    18425876_10103606530096727_600668929_n.jpg
    Weeeell my cutoff wheel is still at the in-laws so that blows. On the bright side, even with just this, camber went from 4.5 to 3.9ish.

My Cars
    96 328IS, 08 IB E92 M3
    *shrugs* I can give it a shot next time I'm on that course. I'm still trying to figure out how that works. I feel like I'd pitch in too much to make that corner. Maybe LFB to get out farther and not have to hand brake as much after? Opinions welcome.

Really I tried this setup because we have another course that similarly has lots of corners stretched very far apart that I almost died on a few times. I'd like to practice where I won't kill myself.
    There's something so satisfying about hitting power ally sections of tracks at the top of 2nd, keeping the throttle right at or banging off the limiter. Or in 3rd gear, hammered down, just PLUMING smoke from the rear of the car, just to get back on the e-brake to link that section of track. IMO, so much more fun than alot of people's manji (or whatever spelling it is) style.
    Anthony Bartolini
    Loki Motorsports
    -2008 A30 E92 M3 6MT-
    -1996 328is Drift Car-
    Stock Internal M52
    M50 Manifold
    PTE 6262, ARP's, .140 MLS
    OBX T4 Top Mount
    Tial 44mm MVR
    Tial Q 50mm
    Open Dump Love <3

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I wish I could do it while banging rev limiter. I have to dial out angle and shallow up to hit the later apex since I can't haul the speed I want through the prior corner. It's basically aim as far down as you can and feather the bitch. Then hand brake and pray.

My Cars
    96 328IS, 08 IB E92 M3
    Judging by looking at your video, it looks like you could hit the first corner as deep on the inside as possible.. Like literally use the whole first corner as an inside clip, shallow up a slight bit coming out of it and hammer down on the throttle, then e-brake to carry it out far enough at the very end. It looks do-able! (granted I've never driven it) lol But judging by your video, that's how I personally would approach it!

- - - Updated - - -

There's sort of a similar scenario at my local track as well. At 0:22-0:34-ish in the video. Just hammer down and check the e-brake when necessary to keep speed in check.

(Video is a good friend of mine with lots of experience on this track.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSBtnHWTwuI
    Anthony Bartolini
    Loki Motorsports
    -2008 A30 E92 M3 6MT-
    -1996 328is Drift Car-
    Stock Internal M52
    M50 Manifold
    OBX T4 Top Mount
    Tial 44mm MVR
    Tial Q 50mm
    Open Dump Love <3

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    The part I want to be more in on is where the water puddle is. I avoided it cuz it would wash me out. That and there's a huge water grate just before that (ironic right?). But yea, I agree. I could get much better with more practice. The track isn't ideal for this technique. I kept catching air.

My Cars
    96 328IS, 08 IB E92 M3
    Lol! Power to you man! Post up some more vids when you drive that track again. It's always fun to see other people's progression!
    Anthony Bartolini
    Loki Motorsports
    -2008 A30 E92 M3 6MT-
    -1996 328is Drift Car-
    Stock Internal M52
    M50 Manifold
    OBX T4 Top Mount
    Tial 44mm MVR
    Tial Q 50mm
    Open Dump Love <3

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki Motorsport View Post
    Judging by looking at your video, it looks like you could hit the first corner as deep on the inside as possible.. Like literally use the whole first corner as an inside clip, shallow up a slight bit coming out of it and hammer down on the throttle, then e-brake to carry it out far enough at the very end. It looks do-able! (granted I've never driven it) lol But judging by your video, that's how I personally would approach it!

- - - Updated - - -

There's sort of a similar scenario at my local track as well. At 0:22-0:34-ish in the video. Just hammer down and check the e-brake when necessary to keep speed in check.

(Video is a good friend of mine with lots of experience on this track.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSBtnHWTwuI
    WTF a CTSV drift car? I think I need to see some more of this thing

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Its shifter is the floppiest I've ever seen on an LS. Mine's a bag of rocks

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I got some of those fancy SLR camber plates from another forum member. Apparently the first prototype series (the one the forum member sent me) had the wrong E30 settings in the plates. Sean was nice enough to work things out with me so thanks bruh! While on the phone we chatted about how my GC camber plates actually don't work with this setup.

The GC center section is actually smaller than the main oblong hole in the SLR adapter plate and GC also uses round top M8x1.0 allen bolts instead of M6x1.0 like Every other damn camber plate manufacturer. So I was planning on drilling out the GC bits and helicoiling in the M6 stuff but surprisingly, M8x1.0 is exactly what I'd be drilling/tapping to anyway so I just put in the helicoils and everything fit! I just got some allen bolts that fit from the local hardware store.

Since I'm still moving, my fab tools are not with me so I couldn't cut out the hole to get full access to the angle. I figure I'll use a stepper bit to get up to a 3/4" hole or so, and then use a cutoff wheel to cut out the rest. I know the FD guys just drill a hole, set it to max, and leave it. But my chassis is tweaked enough that each side has to be set unevenly.

20170509_181759.jpg20170509_182005.jpg20170509_181954.jpg20170509_183258.jpg

My Cars
    96 328IS, 08 IB E92 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Novablue454 View Post
    WTF a CTSV drift car? I think I need to see some more of this thing
    Yessir!
    Lots of blood sweat and tears from our whole team went into that thing. lol His youtube channel is "Lokidrift" if you care to see more.
    As it sits now, it has a FD legal cage, gutted interior, stock LS6 aside from a intake and longtubes/turn downs under the car. Coilovers, obviously. It also has a custom 65-ish* angle kit from a good friend of our in Medford, Oregon. His firm is called Abercrombie Motorsports. Lots of custom work. But mainly s-chassis and FC/FD suspension kits. That's about it! lol. If you ever find yourself in the Northwest, hit me up man! We can do a private day at the track from the video. (Pats Acres Racing Complex (PARC))

- - - Updated - - -

I got some of those fancy SLR camber plates from another forum member. Apparently the first prototype series (the one the forum member sent me) had the wrong E30 settings in the plates. Sean was nice enough to work things out with me so thanks bruh! While on the phone we chatted about how my GC camber plates actually don't work with this setup.

The GC center section is actually smaller than the main oblong hole in the SLR adapter plate and GC also uses round top M8x1.0 allen bolts instead of M6x1.0 like Every other damn camber plate manufacturer. So I was planning on drilling out the GC bits and helicoiling in the M6 stuff but surprisingly, M8x1.0 is exactly what I'd be drilling/tapping to anyway so I just put in the helicoils and everything fit! I just got some allen bolts that fit from the local hardware store.

Since I'm still moving, my fab tools are not with me so I couldn't cut out the hole to get full access to the angle. I figure I'll use a stepper bit to get up to a 3/4" hole or so, and then use a cutoff wheel to cut out the rest. I know the FD guys just drill a hole, set it to max, and leave it. But my chassis is tweaked enough that each side has to be set unevenly.

20170509_181759.jpg20170509_182005.jpg20170509_181954.jpg20170509_183258.jpg
    Dayuuuum...
    Those look purty. I love the orange annodizing.
    Anthony Bartolini
    Loki Motorsports
    -2008 A30 E92 M3 6MT-
    -1996 328is Drift Car-
    Stock Internal M52
    M50 Manifold
    OBX T4 Top Mount
    Tial 44mm MVR
    Tial Q 50mm
    Open Dump Love <3

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki Motorsport View Post
    Yessir!
    Lots of blood sweat and tears from our whole team went into that thing. lol His youtube channel is "Lokidrift" if you care to see more.
    As it sits now, it has a FD legal cage, gutted interior, stock LS6 aside from a intake and longtubes/turn downs under the car. Coilovers, obviously. It also has a custom 65-ish* angle kit from a good friend of our in Medford, Oregon. His firm is called Abercrombie Motorsports. Lots of custom work. But mainly s-chassis and FC/FD suspension kits. That's about it! lol. If you ever find yourself in the Northwest, hit me up man! We can do a private day at the track from the video. (Pats Acres Racing Complex (PARC))

- - - Updated - - -

Dayuuuum...
    Those look purty. I love the orange annodizing.
    Those look niceee. I actually just ordered a set myself. It's illegal to go further then the imaginary circle drawn through the oem mount holes, correct?

Also @Loki, I'm going to check that out! And that would be rad! I miss the NW so much, I used to live in Tacoma.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Well FD illegal to go beyond that circle yea. I ain't doin FD!

I just can't find a 3/4" drill bit that will fit in a hand held drill <_<

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    Step drill bits are a thing. And usually have a 3/8 shank

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I have one of those. I can't find it tho. All of my tools are stretched over 3 houses/garages and various cars.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast