Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Look What I Found in My Transmission Pan!!!

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser View Post
    IMHO there is about as much sense in this as saying dirty oil is good for your engine. I've only changed the ATF in a dozen or so boxes with good results so perhaps I have been lucky. Good spot btw. Looks like somebody didnt do their homework when putting that box together

Agreed^.
    Also, regarding this transmission's inherent strength or weakness. It is a derivative of a tried and true GM design, albeit at it's torque capacity, built by the frogs and all this compounded by BMWs recommendation NOT to change the trans oil.
    Given good care it's just fine. I'm not going to mention the mileage on the wife's example so as not to jinx myself.

My Cars
    91 318is, 92 E34 Touring
    Ahhh, found it. Coincidentally, almost one year after identifying the part the same happened to me. http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...Fffffuuuuuuuuu!!

OP, what ended up happening with the tranny?

1992 525iT, Manual Swap, Bilstien Sport struts, H&R springs, Style 32 17" wheels (17x8 fronts, 17x9 rears), ACS exhaust, Euro cluster, Wilwood SL6R BBK on E38 rotors

My Cars
    Suck
    OP's last activity was almost a year ago to the day. I would wager the tranny died and he sold the car for scrap.

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp
    Quote Originally Posted by ishcan View Post
    Ahhh, found it. Coincidentally, almost one year after identifying the part the same happened to me. http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...Fffffuuuuuuuuu!!

OP, what ended up happening with the tranny?
    Bump it again. What happened to your tranny? Did it eventually brake?

I have same problem.. https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...7#post29806157

My Cars
    E21, E24, E34, E46
    Quote Originally Posted by Layne View Post
    Removing the broken plastic ring from the pan certainly didn't kill it. Changing the fluid on an old transmission that hasn't been changed regularly can kill it though. The fluid has a ton of detergent and washes loose crap from inside that then clogs it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by ishcan View Post
    Is there first-hand knowledge of this or is this internet lore that has gone around? The detergents scrubbing things up makes sense to me but a flush and filter change are on my list of maintenance things to do to the touring.
    Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser View Post
    IMHO there is about as much sense in this as saying dirty oil is good for your engine. I've only changed the ATF in a dozen or so boxes with good results so perhaps I have been lucky. Good spot btw. Looks like somebody didnt do their homework when putting that box together
    5 years later... I now believe most of the stories are probably from people who change the fluid after the trans started showing symptoms of failure, and then it died. Not necessarily caused by the fluid change.

It would be the same as new oil messing up your engine.... if you went 100k miles on the same engine oil, like people often do with transmission oil. Changing the engine oil after 100k miles (if it could even make it that long) would almost certainly dislodge enough crud to block up the oil intake.

I still think changing the trans oil sooner than later is worth the potential risk, it's not like you can change it all at once anyway. If you already have symptoms though, don't assume new fluid will save it. Although it often does.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12