Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BMW Z4 Convertible Roof Problem

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    Quote Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
    Do you REALLY think BMW really cares about the owners.... just be bottom line.

If BMW was only in business for 10 years, there wouldn't be much reason to care about the owners. How long have they been around now?
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    06 M Roadster Red/Blk
    Quote Originally Posted by montaillou View Post

If BMW was only in business for 10 years, there wouldn't be much reason to care about the owners. How long have they been around now?
    Kind of my point ...

My Cars
    87 M6
    Don't discount the switch in the trunk. If the tab doesn't make contact the top won't move. In the trunk behind the seats. It's a safety for when the shelf is raised.

My Cars
    2003 Z4

i have roof problems too

Quote Originally Posted by Pyewacket69 View Post
    "Closed" means top up, as in the cabin area being "enclosed".
    i have a 2003 Z4and i also replaced my motor last summer and the BMW tech told me the units come with enough fluid and i didn't need to add any more fluid. saying that my roof failed again in 2 months. i bought a second pump/motor and again it is in the same condition and barely works and is very sluggish. only 4 months after the second pump/motor was replaced and my motor looks like it is shot again. i wonder if there is another problem causing this motor/pump to fail?? is it possible the pump could be sucking air and causing it to fail? i'm going broke and getting very frustraed changing this unit, and it doesn't get any easier changing. i wish i had a manual roof about now

My Cars
    Many
    Quote Originally Posted by OBwan View Post
    Don't discount the switch in the trunk. If the tab doesn't make contact the top won't move. In the trunk behind the seats. It's a safety for when the shelf is raised.
    You are only partially correct. The top will still close (raise) if the 'Compartment Floor Switch' (trunk switch) is active...
    You all never seem to have enough time to do the job properly the first time, but you always seem to find the time to do it a second time......... ME

Quote Originally Posted by jimko55 View Post
    i have a 2003 Z4and i also replaced my motor last summer and the BMW tech told me the units come with enough fluid and i didn't need to add any more fluid. saying that my roof failed again in 2 months. i bought a second pump/motor and again it is in the same condition and barely works and is very sluggish. only 4 months after the second pump/motor was replaced and my motor looks like it is shot again. i wonder if there is another problem causing this motor/pump to fail?? is it possible the pump could be sucking air and causing it to fail? i'm going broke and getting very frustraed changing this unit, and it doesn't get any easier changing. i wish i had a manual roof about now
    Do you store your car In a car wash at night or under a waterfall?

These could be the problem if so!

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by jimko55 View Post
    Theres a problem not related to the motor directly. Such as a binding top that is putting more load on the motor, causing it to fail prematurely, or drains that are still clogged which would be particularly troublesome if you park the car outside.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2005 Z4
    One thing that will prevent the soft top motor from operating is if the electric windows need to be reset after a battery disconnect for example. Operate the windows fully down and and hold the switch until you hear a click. Then operate the windows fully up and also listen for a click. Do this for both windows. The soft top needs to know what position the windows are in and will not move if there is a spurious or unknown window position.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12