My Cars
    850i, x3, 2002

07 X3 3.0si EML light?

HI im having a rough time starting the x3 when its cold and when it finally start the eml and check engine r on and i have a rough idle when it gets to running temperature. When i give it gaz it drives normally. this started last week . since then it almost stalled once and felt like she didnt want to take the gaz. but the next day it didnt try to stall but i still had the above problemes. I searched and didnt find anything... anybody had a similar probleme?

My Cars
    2007 X3, 2008 Civic 4dr
    Maybe alternator going?

My Cars
    850i, x3, 2002
    i dont see how its related ?

My Cars
    2002 BMW Z3, 2007 BMW X3
    I didn't see how it related either. I went crazy looking in forums to see why this was happening. In my case it was the battery. The alternator was a good idea too because the alternator could kill the battery. My X3 2007 still had the original BMW battery. Yes 10 years! Crazy right? The car still started but when it was cold out or when I let the car sit over night I'd get rough start with no power if it started at all. I'd also get the EML and check engine light. The codes didn't make sense. Other lights that also would come up was brake and 4x4. I took a look at the battery. It was displaying the black in the monitor window. It should be green if good and yellow to replace. Black means it wasn't getting a full charge. I still didn't believe that could be the cause of the devastatingly terrible sounding start and then rough no power idle so I started charging the battery over night. I did this for 3 days without any starting problems. Last night I didn't charge it and I left the dome light on. The same rough turning over came back. This time it won't start at all. In the past it would eventually fire up. This time nothing. I took my BMW X3 to O'Riley's and purchased a new battery. After installing, praying and crossing my fingers it turned the ignition. Vuala! Came con and purred like a kitten. I know it sounds crazy. The cause was low voltage to the computer so that throws everything off. That's why I was getting break, EML, CEL, 4X4 lights and the crazy codes. I hope this helps. Trust this site. These cars are fun and great but they are finicky.

My Cars
    X5 E53 528i E39
    Its either having a low battery. Or the actual throttle body is beginning to fail.

My Cars
    2001 750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by Emory39 View Post
    ...Or the actual throttle body is beginning to fail.
    ^ I believe this is a big factor on the stalling.

I was working through similar problems with my wife's E53 X5 3.0.

Ended up replacing the throttle body and this resolved the bigger safety issues of stalling after coming off idle at an intersection. But the starting issue still is present albeit not as bad.

I've determined, and it's been recommended by goinstrong, that the starting issue is related to a failed or failing DISA valve. The DISA valves can be replaced or rebuilt with a much less expensive rebuild kit from ebay.
    Last edited by absolutezero273; 03-15-2017 at 08:09 PM.
    2005 X5 4.8is (DD winter) * 2001 750iL (DD summer) * 2001 Ford Excursion 7.3 L <> 2005 X5 3.0 * 2003 X5 4.4i * 2009 X3 3.0 * 2009 X5 3.0 * 2007 Toyota Avalon Limited