Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hardtop for a z3

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjbrox View Post
    There was no way I was going to drive a a 1.9 at this elevation. I travel from 5200 feet to 7500 feet every day
    I have been attending the Texas Spring Drive (aka Fred R. Memorial Drive) every year and the change in elevation from Denver to Kerrville, Texas is VERY noticeable. Going the other way (up) is not going to help.
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2022 Z4 M40i, Misano Blue Metallic, Prem Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    02 MC, 01 MR, 99 Z3C
    I agree that overall that car looks to be in good shape. Since you are asking about HT's, I will comment that it looks like this one needs a bit of adjustment. If you look at the rear end shot, the right side looks to be sitting slightly higher than the left. Also in the seventh picture showing the passenger entry, if you look at where the "B-pillar" edge of the HT meets the body, it is sitting slightly towards the rear. The edge where the top meets the door frame should be flush. There are adjustable plates at the front edge of the top where it is screwed to the windshield frame and also at the mounting brackets where the spikes attach to the car.
    Kelvin

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by KBH22102 View Post
    I agree that overall that car looks to be in good shape. Since you are asking about HT's, I will comment that it looks like this one needs a bit of adjustment. If you look at the rear end shot, the right side looks to be sitting slightly higher than the left. Also in the seventh picture showing the passenger entry, if you look at where the "B-pillar" edge of the HT meets the body, it is sitting slightly towards the rear. The edge where the top meets the door frame should be flush. There are adjustable plates at the front edge of the top where it is screwed to the windshield frame and also at the mounting brackets where the spikes attach to the car.
    Does any of that require parts or a lot of labor.

It sounds easy

My Cars
    1998 Z3 M Roadster.

Hardtop for a z3

Quote Originally Posted by Mjbrox View Post
    Does any of that require parts or a lot of labor.

It sounds easy
    No parts to adjust it really,

Well tools, a Torx 40, sockets ect and some threadlocker like locktite blue or green.
    The hook wrench is helpful and the rear height gauge (I just machined my own)

Then a bitch load of pissing around adjusting and removing / refitting.

Needs 2 people. Maybe an hour or so.

The directions from BMW are on line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Last edited by Vintage42; 09-01-2017 at 05:10 PM.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    2000 bmw z3
    hello - i'm new z3 owner 2000 roadster --- 22k original miles - i'm looking for a hard top ????????? tampa,fl thanks /al

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by westampaz3 View Post
    hello - i'm new z3 owner 2000 roadster --- 22k original miles - i'm looking for a hard top ????????? tampa,fl thanks /al
    Watch the appropriate classifieds, checking in (2-3 times) daily. While you *might* get lucky and find a hdtp nearby in a matching color, I wouldn't count on it. Resign yourself to making a roadtrip, and depending on how badly the color of your new top clashes with your car, you may want to time to return trip with all nighttime driving. Getting a really good paint job on the top could run $500 - $800 (?). You can remove all the rubber seals yourself, and the vinyl trim around the rear glass (glass DOES NOT need to come out) to save some labor charges.

Does your car already have the hdtp mounting brackets fitted? If not, you'll have to have them before you can use your car to go pick up a hdtp (if you're using a minivan or pickup truck, then you can obtain the brackets/kit at your convenience).

NOW would be a good time to search online for the hdtp owner's manual, and installation instructions (2 separate publications) to familiarize yourself with fitting the top before you do it (an improperly fitted top WILL damage the paint on your car, or worse...).

Living in Florida now ourselves (about 40 min south of Tampa's airport) the ritual of fitting the hdtp (and snowtires) every Fall is history, but I'll never sell one separate from the cars. The hdtp hasn't been on the gray car since we moved here >7-1/2 yrs ago, but I do routinely keep the hdtp on the black car, just for a different driving experience!

The factory hardtop fitting kit hasn't been available for a number of years (though I do have one, new in the box, that I will entertain offers on...) but I am pretty sure that you can buy all the loose pieces still, or at a minimum, at least the essential ones.

Food for thought...

Factory fitted hardtop; note increased height rear springs (these were near-immediately swapped out!)

My Cars
    02 MC, 01 MR, 99 Z3C
    Just listed mine in the classifieds.
    Kelvin

My Cars
    bmw 328 dakota pu
    I sell hardtops and mounting kits .I have been doing it for 6 years .MAde and sold over 600 kits all over the world. I have about 6 left and thats it . Too many knock offs of very poor quality. I make more repairing and aligning those from Netherlands than I made making mine. Only bad thing is they damage your top pins and that can cost you 350$ for ne pins each. Plus some have even had their tops broken. So look for z3hardtops@gmail.com or oem used . my kits are 365 used oem around 450-500 and I have new oem for around 750-800 I also have defrosters and harnesses I will be closing out. I have the front screws and torx tool also .discount to forum members.

On a note I am looking for anyone with a Hamann top. I have a friend that bought one in Japan and I need to make him some mounts. Just need a little help and I will be glad to pay or swap out parts from a z3 M I am parting out.
    Last edited by mikeshammer; 01-05-2020 at 01:21 AM.

My Cars
    Z3M 6.2 V8, F30 335d
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeshammer View Post
    On a note I am looking for anyone with a Hamann top. I have a friend that bought one in Japan and I need to make him some mounts. Just need a little help and I will be glad to pay or swap out parts from a z3 M I am parting out.
    i have one. Can send you some images and dimensions if you want. The mounts are very simple.

My Cars
    2001 Z3 Roadster 2.5 M54
    I sell hardtops and mounting kits .I have been doing it for 6 years .MAde and sold over 600 kits all over the world. I have about 6 left and thats it . Too many knock offs of very poor quality. I make more repairing and aligning those from Netherlands than I made making mine. Only bad thing is they damage your top pins and that can cost you 350$ for ne pins each. Plus some have even had their tops broken. So look for z3hardtops@gmail.com or oem used . my kits are 365 used oem around 450-500 and I have new oem for around 750-800 I also have defrosters and harnesses I will be closing out. I have the front screws and torx tool also .discount to forum members.

Are you saying you fabricate hardtops, or sell factory hardtops? And you fabricate mounting kits? The link you provided is an e-mail address. Do you have a website or do you have pictures of the hardtops?

Thanks,

Andy

My Cars
    1996 Z3 Hellrot Red 1.9l
    Just a heads up, I found my hardtop on Facebook marketplace. Seems the newer generation uses that platform to sell items.

My Cars
    bmw 328 dakota pu

z3 hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Woods View Post
    Are you saying you fabricate hardtops, or sell factory hardtops? And you fabricate mounting kits? The link you provided is an e-mail address. Do you have a website or do you have pictures of the hardtops? below

Andy
    Thanks, I buy and sell factory hardtops and aftermarket when I can find them. I paint and redo the headliners when needed. I also manufacture the hardtop mounting kits . I took down my website as the guy from the Netherlands was sending people there for my install instructions and when they would not fit people were calling me and complaining and it was not my mounts but his that was the problem. After 5 years we finally have educated people to sell the tops with the mounts if they want to sell them. I will still manufacture one or 2 kits a month but its a sideline. z3hardtops is what I go by and people have given me good feedback on the forums.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Mike--Thanks for the information and parts you sold to me a couple of years ago. The latch for the right side of my hardtop and the used OEM switch for the rear defroster were perfect for my repair.
    Last edited by rasmuw; 02-06-2020 at 12:03 AM.
    Wayne

1998 M Roadster
    1994 Honda ST1100--sold
    2017 Yamaha FJR1300ES

My Cars
    1997 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    I bought my mounting hardware from Mike in 2017. His service and parts are excellent.

My Cars
    bmw 328 dakota pu
    Quote Originally Posted by rasmuw View Post
    Mike--Thanks for the information and parts you sold to me a couple of years ago. The latch for the right side of my hardtop and the OEM used switch for the rear defroster were perfect for my repair.
    thank you for remembering.

My Cars
    MANY TO LIST
    Thanks, I buy and sell factory hardtops and aftermarket when I can find them. I paint and redo the headliners when needed. I also manufacture the hardtop mounting kits . I took down my website as the guy from the Netherlands was sending people there for my install instructions and when they would not fit people were calling me and complaining and it was not my mounts but his that was the problem. After 5 years we finally have educated people to sell the tops with the mounts if they want to sell them. I will still manufacture one or 2 kits a month but its a sideline. z3hardtops is what I go by and people have given me good feedback on the forums.
    How much for a hardtop including all hardware?
    Road racing addict.

Juker008 don't send pm soliciting or advertising, against forum rules!!

My Cars
    2000 528i
    following here in the state of MO.USA.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123