Thread: H&R Springs vs. Dinan Springs

My Cars
    1988 M3

H&R Springs vs. Dinan Springs

I'm going to post this here too because I need to know!

I am looking at a Dinan suspension (stage 4). I need to know information about the springs. What are the specs on dinan springs (drop, spring rates, etc.)? Are they stiffer or softer than H&R sport springs?

Thanks
    Bryan K.
    1988 ///M3
    1997 E36 ///M3 Project
    Texas A&M Formula SAE

Hi, Bryan. H&R and Eibach make an almost infinite number of springs by rate in psi. You just pick the Internal Diameter (ID) and length you want and pick the spring rates you want for front and rear. I have a fairly easy Excel spring rate calculator that lets you key in the weight of your car and front and rear weight distribution (split) and it will determine the front and rear spring rates for both street and race applications. Its a lot better than just buying someone's choice for you. Also, I doubt sincerely that Dinan actually makes springs. They either buy H&R or Eibach springs or get one of these mfgrs to make custom lengths and rates for them. Sometimes a value-added reseller, like Dinan in regard to springs, will have someone make up some progressive rate springs. That is usually Eibach. I am beginning to think that H&R makes the best springs, so they're who I would recommend right now. -Gordon

My Cars
    88 M5 FOR SALE, E92 335i
    I say do the coil-overs, too. You can swap back any time! You do not need to cut the front lower perch off the strut housing. $400 to Ground Control will give you a better setup than any aftermarket spring. Then you just choose your shocks. I'd recommend Konis because I've heard so many good things. Bilsteins are fine if you never have to hit bumps. They are pretty harsh, but very good on smooth roads.

Gordon's right about the Dinan stuff, too. They sell "custom" springs and shocks from another manufacturer but with a healthy price increase tacked on.

What exactly do you want from your suspension? What are you willing to sacrifice? What are you not willing to sacrifice? How much do you want to spend?

JamesM

I agree with James. Ground Control is the least expensive way to go to coilovers and then you can change things easily. alter height, change springs, change shocks, all at will and pretty inexpensively. Coilovers -- with good springs, shocks , and height adjustment -- make the biggest change in the way your car will ride and handle. you can even accurately corner weight your car.

My Cars
    1988 M3
    I was asking about Dinan because I saw a dinan suspension (used) for sale. I have decided to pass it up and go for a coil over, probably with custom H&Rs and Bilsteins.

Thanks for the replies!
    Bryan K.
    1988 ///M3
    1997 E36 ///M3 Project
    Texas A&M Formula SAE