Thread: Hard wiring a dash cam?

My Cars
    F80 M3, 95 325is

Hard wiring a dash cam?

I recently got a Itronics dash cam, and for now it's using the cigarette lighter. I like it so far, and here is some footage
    FiveSeriesDIY youtube page
    However, I'd rather have it hardwired for a cleaner install, and I don't like the wire dangling in the air. What's the good power source that's always on? Interior light? I was thinking about it but I thought it had a timer of some sort?

EDIT: FIXED. Used interior light as a power source, been working fine for the past 2 years

Installed behind the rearview mirror so I barely know that it's there
    Last edited by SpeedsterBek; 03-25-2015 at 05:29 PM.

My Cars
    1995 bmw 540i
    One of your options could be to tap into the sunroof motor for power. Here is a diy for a radar detector but it should be somewhat the same for the dash cam and it will be a cleaner install than the the cigarette lighter route. http://www.bmw4life.com/radarDiy.htm

My Cars
    F80 M3, 95 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by Blak540i View Post
    One of your options could be to tap into the sunroof motor for power. Here is a diy for a radar detector but it should be somewhat the same for the dash cam and it will be a cleaner install than the the cigarette lighter route. http://www.bmw4life.com/radarDiy.htm
    I thought about it but it has to be always on. Sunroof gets power when key in #1 or #2 position. For dash cam's parking mode to work it has to have continuous source of power

My Cars
    1993 525i/5, 1995 530/5
    Looking in the Bentley, it looks like the red/white wire for interior lights is a constant hot through fuse F21.

My Cars
    2000 740I sport
    Use the blinker light wire through the door jam

My Cars
    E34 528i, E39 540i M
    "I'd much rather be a stripper than a sex slave", lol.

I think all the interesting stuff happens in Russia though, dash cam related, not sex slave and whatever (or maybe..).

- - - Updated - - -

Just saw this thread was from 2012.

I wasn't the one to bump!

My Cars
    F80 M3, 95 325is
    Just wanted to post the solution, since someone might find it useful.

I used the interior light as a power source (thanks rex cars for suggestion). I took off the interior dome light and soldered dash cam wires to it. IIRC used the white/red for + and brown for ground. Then I changed the interior light fuse with 5 amp higher rated fuse. It's been 2.5 years and it's been working fine.
    Lazy Saturday drive in my E34: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnzvZgPnOos

My Cars
    e34 525i
    Do you have any pics of how it looks like in the car. I'm also interested in putting a dash cam in the e34 instead of using the Gopro.

My Cars
    F80 M3, 95 325is
    the cam is in the same place as the first 2 pics. It behind the rear view mirror so it doesn't block my view. I barely notice it from the driver's seat. From the outside, it looks discrete as well:
    Lazy Saturday drive in my E34: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnzvZgPnOos

My Cars
    09/90 E34 525i (M50)
    Bumping this so I can't be accused of not searching. I'm trying to wire a dashcam to anything in the roof console light area. So far I am having no luck finding a 12v ign only power source. Anything with 12v seems constant 12v. I've been down the rabbit hole searching and found something about vanity light (assume it's the one under the pass visor), that's completely dead.
    I haven't gone through all the sunroof wiring, just looking at light as source now. but months ago I tried before, thinking sunroof motor best chance of ign only 12v but I couldn't find it after 4 hrs of testing then and gave up.

Anyone know what plugs and colour wires for ign 12v from the roof area? I've searched and searched (phjotobucket sucks!) and spent hours on this! E: I'm pretty sure it's always hot 12v and switched neg (from when I looked at manuals and the fact I can see the light go out when switching off the ign and locking the door), but I can't get my head around it anymore since I fried my brain.
    Last edited by fo3; 12-13-2017 at 09:58 PM.