Thread: The Hunt for an E36, I have some questions...

My Cars
    '90 GT-R, '99 Legacy B4

Question The Hunt for an E36, I have some questions...

Well after a brief stint with the idea of having an E32 7-Series, I've decided that in the long run it would probably just be more cost-effective and maybe more reliable to just go back to a 3-Series. But I'm kinda tired of the E30, and want to try something a bit newer and that's why I'm coming to you guys. Generally I've got like $6500 to work with, and I've already looked at a '92 and '93 that were fairly nice.

I just need some tips on what to keep my eyes open for, what year(s) are bad and you know, the general stuff. How is the reliability with these cars? I really liked how strong running my E30 was, so I'm hoping that the next 3 will be the same? Well I hope you all can help me out!

My Cars
    1995 daytona violet M3
    the e36 is apretty good car....its a love hate relationship though, especially if you have it modded..I love my car it handles great, brakes great, and has fairly decient acceleration for a 2.5L 6... if your moving forward to a e36 I would say you'll be happy with your purchase....there really isn't any specific year that is more problem prone than others...but some things to look out for is to see if the water pump has been replaced, rear shock mounts usually go bad, and some other stuff (I'm alittle tired can't think right now) but over all you'll like the sleek styling, great handling, and braking from the e36....it truly is a fun car and the 'ultimate driving machine' in my opinion..
    CARS: Alpine Weiss II 92' 325is coupe 5spd w/ ACS CS widebody kit (SOLD)

95' daytona violet M3 and 95' Boston Green M3... both 5spd cars.

My Cars
    1995 daytona violet M3
    oh yeah, and they are pretty reliable too just don't beat it to hell and it will treat you nicly
    CARS: Alpine Weiss II 92' 325is coupe 5spd w/ ACS CS widebody kit (SOLD)

95' daytona violet M3 and 95' Boston Green M3... both 5spd cars.

My Cars
    2015 Tacoma, '86 951
    Quote Originally Posted by Viewtiful Sight
    Well after a brief stint with the idea of having an E32 7-Series, I've decided that in the long run it would probably just be more cost-effective and maybe more reliable to just go back to a 3-Series. But I'm kinda tired of the E30, and want to try something a bit newer and that's why I'm coming to you guys. Generally I've got like $6500 to work with, and I've already looked at a '92 and '93 that were fairly nice.

I just need some tips on what to keep my eyes open for, what year(s) are bad and you know, the general stuff. How is the reliability with these cars? I really liked how strong running my E30 was, so I'm hoping that the next 3 will be the same? Well I hope you all can help me out!

A lot of people say the 92-93's are the trouble some E36's, but I don't believe so. In fact I'd say 92 is my favorite year E36, so much so Im on my 2nd. The vanos equipped cars just don't really feel right for me.

The maintence issues add up, but if you take care of them before they break you should be good. Common problems you should address are:

*replace plastic water pump w/ metal impellar unit
    *replace plastic thermostat housing w/ aluminum unit
    *replace rear shock mounts, I reccomend Ground Control, they run about $90
    *replace rear trailing arm bushings *RTAB's* These cost a bit more to do, but if you can afford it, go with Ground Control on these as well.

Thats really the only few problems I can think of on the E36, with a 1992 you don't have to worry about the vanos unit going out due to age. The 1992's had more aggressive camshafts. They weighed the least of the E36 *I believe its only a slight difference* The 92's also came with dual valve springs, which don't really help in a money shift *over rev* but I do feel much more confident in the top end of my power band that the valves are closing adequitly.

The only semi downside, which most everyone can seem to live through, is the early 92's had all grey bumpers, and the later 92's had half painted bumpers and mirrors.

If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.
    Retired Track E36
    Jet Black 2012 328i