Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast

Thread: 5mall5nail5 Turbo E34 Build Part IV!

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by bubela View Post
    Sheesh, I didn't know that stuff was so expensive!

Why do n2o at $10-15/lb when o2 is FREE!?
    What is kind of disappointing to some is that I've flowed more N2O into the atmosphere doing flow testing, than into an engine. I don't regret it, but my wallet hurt at the time....

My Cars
    mostly bmw
    Science/learning. I get it. You and smallsnails have been an asset to this forum.

I retract my previous statement. Thank you for your testing and analysis guys.
    95 turbo 330ti. 01 maxpsi m3 e85. 01 m5. 01 m coupe. 03 AIM 996t e85. 06 x3 w/Meyers plow and winter daily. Prussian Motors is hiring!! prussianmotors.com/jobs
    Current e39t LS Turbo swap: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...LS-e39-Touring

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by bubela View Post
    Science/learning. I get it. You and smallsnails have been an asset to this forum.

I retract my previous statement. Thank you for your testing and analysis guys.
    You wouldn't believe how much nitrous some people are using! My intentions are just to have a crazy flat torque curve "on demand" so my bottle should last a decent amount of time. But, take a look at this:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYO8Yi7U638[/ame]

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post

You wouldn't believe how much nitrous some people are using! My intentions are just to have a crazy flat torque curve "on demand" so my bottle should last a decent amount of time.
    Isn't that like saying 'I only want 350 whp from my turbo kit'? Me thinks it's a slippery path, a gateway drug so to speak...... You have a problem son..... You have a boost addiction. .

Sent from my GTX3582R
    '97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.

My Cars
    2001 330i
    You wouldn't believe how much nitrous some people are using! My intentions are just to have a crazy flat torque curve "on demand" so my bottle should last a decent amount of time. But, take a look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYO8Yi7U638
    That's pretty funny...and it looks like the feed line is -6? You should see what happens with -8 feed line flow rates....

Speaking of torque: The primary reason why I'm so focused on pulsing solenoids is to control torque so that total engine output is linear. If you look at the mass-flow required for say 100 hp boost at 3500 RPM, you'll find you need just over 200% of that flow rate at 7000 RPM. (Doubling the RPM halves mass flow per combustion event + RPM losses) So to add 100hp linear across the RPM band of operation will take lets say 225hp of flow.

But....something most people miss when adding a lot of nitrous to a turbo application is that you need to have the flow capability to bypass extra exhaust flow. Not just a big wastegate, but proper exhaust manifold design...otherwise you'll have a really hard time controlling the turbo when nitrous comes in. If your ECU lets you run a feed-forward type of waste gate control strategy...you will need 2 maps: 1 for no nitrous use, and 1 for when using nitrous.

Sorry to clutter up the thread with my nitrous ramblings....
    Last edited by PEI330Ci; 01-25-2013 at 11:10 AM.

My Cars
    BMWs
    Yeah that's what I was thinking - the "HP shot" is not linear across the board, its linear across the flow out of the solenoid. So really you'd need a much higher flow ability to do 100 hp across the rev range.

What I mean about flatter torque is that I will bring the turbo up to speed sooner, relying mostly on the turbo vs nitrous.

No worries - I like discussion!

My Cars
    jetta
    Been keeping up with your build for a couple years now 5mall5nail, and I just wanted to come in and thank you guys for putting your almost unbelievable amount of knowledge out there for regular people like me to see and hopefully take a little bit away from.

"If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing."

My Cars
    93 M5 88 M3 14 i3
    Not bad right Greg? I would have liked to make it... but... its already available... and I like the silicone bottle heater pad... so... we'll have to make something else cool lol
    Yea thats a nice setup, not really a reason to build it if it already exists! Yea there are other projects . . .

Greg

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by nyskiffie View Post
    Been keeping up with your build for a couple years now 5mall5nail, and I just wanted to come in and thank you guys for putting your almost unbelievable amount of knowledge out there for regular people like me to see and hopefully take a little bit away from.

Thanks man - we're all regular people lol. Glad you enjoyed!

Quote Originally Posted by 93FIM5 View Post
    Yea thats a nice setup, not really a reason to build it if it already exists! Yea there are other projects . . .

Greg

It looks a whole lot better in black with a light texture! Pics to follow. Been dealing with real estate crap today and working on a set of calipers for a guy - calipers are kicking my butt.

My Cars
    '97 Estoril M3 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
    What is kind of disappointing to some is that I've flowed more N2O into the atmosphere doing flow testing, than into an engine. I don't regret it, but my wallet hurt at the time....
    I remember those WON videos from you. Great to watch, but painful now that I know what it cost!
    | 1997 Estoril M3 - TURBO - |
    | GT35R | 8.5:1 forged internals | ARP stuffs | SS Oring Block w/ elring | Fully balanced & blueprinted 3.3L S52 | Nick G Tuning |
    | 46mm Precision gate| 62# injectors | Dual Walbro's |
    Goal: 600+ whp pump gas reliable 10 second car.
    -2007 335i Sport Package

My Cars
    BMWs
    Dude, nitrous isn't cheap at ANY point. When you look at what a nitrous kit is you realize it isn't cheap. All the guys who say nitrous is a cheat way to get to bigger hp are crazy - its a serious investment. Some of the v8 guys are running dual bottles because of how much their systems flow. Dual 10 or 15 lb bottles because a single bottle falls out on one pass. That's 10-15 lb in < 7 secs. $10 - 15 a lb... $70-80 a pass. Wee!

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Coupe
    Why is nitrous so expensive up north? Its $1.50 - $2.00/lb in south florida.

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigmac834 View Post
    Why is nitrous so expensive up north? Its $1.50 - $2.00/lb in south florida.
    Don't buy it - $5 - 6 I buy, but not 1.50 - 2.00. I posted on YB asking for local prices and most were $5 - 10. NOTHING below $4-5 lb. 10 lb fill would be $12 lol. Yeah right!

My Cars
    E90 328
    Subscribed this is going to be awesome.

My Cars
    '88 E30 M50 Turbo
    Question on the Mil Connectors. Any special crimp tool needed? Is there a max gauge wire for them? Keep up the good work!

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by lumbergh17 View Post
    Question on the Mil Connectors. Any special crimp tool needed? Is there a max gauge wire for them? Keep up the good work!
    There's tons of pin options. I have some solder pins some crimp, some connectors hold 20A some hold 3A. It all depends. Literally there are like... maybe 5,000 combinations of pins and connectors.

Worked on some brake stuff and coated my bottle bracket:

Coated Bottle Bracket by Jon Kensy, on Flickr

Integral heater

Re-tapped all holes. Lookin good to me! Moved my car back inside about 5 mins ahead of snow!

My Cars
    e30isT, b18c5 coupe
    Brackets look dope, and convienent.
    Nice work as usual!

[ 1990 325is Turbo ]
    "..a true hotrodder wouldn't be content until he had created a car so violent, so totally sick
    that the act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster."
    -Tony DeFeo

My Cars
    '98 Pontiac T/A
    The bracket looks so much better coated black. If the manufacturer doesn't offer that option, they should.

My Cars
    BMWs
    Hrmmmm

Flanges by Jon Kensy, on Flickr

My Cars
    85 318i
    Hrmmmm

Jon does jay still make those head flanges..?
    My manifolds powering 8sec and over 1000rwp cars
    Home of the highest HP stock M30 in the world 550rwhp/622rwtq
    1/4 mile---> 9.81 @138 C4 Auto
    10.08 in car vid --->https://youtu.be/OiinFhUomjg
    Dyno vid... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7aM7..._order&list=UL

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by good & tight View Post
    Jon does jay still make those head flanges..?
    Nah it proved to not really be worth it. I think I picked it up from AR.

My Cars
    35D X5, 335d
    Hrmmmm

Jon, I'm really starting to hate you. That bottle holder/heater looks straight baller!

What program are you using to design your mani?
    Last edited by futureroadracer; 01-26-2013 at 03:22 PM.
    OLD
    E30

636whp
    1/4 mile: 10.91@144.38
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_f7fUVqblI

NEW BUILD
    335d

520whp
    635wtq
    120.51mph trap speed

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by futureroadracer View Post
    Jon, I'm really starting to hate you. That bottle holder/heater looks straight baller!

What program are you using to design your mani?

Bottle holder came out great. Was going to do some purple in there for good measure but I've kept the purple out of the cockpit so it'd look out of place if I started now.

I have it somewhat modeled in SW but I will likely just "make it happen". I want to build a jig from the existing manifold to keep turbo placement, but I want to revise the wastegate placement.

My Cars
    35D X5, 335d

Bottle holder came out great. Was going to do some purple in there for good measure but I've kept the purple out of the cockpit so it'd look out of place if I started now.

I have it somewhat modeled in SW but I will likely just "make it happen". I want to build a jig from the existing manifold to keep turbo placement, but I want to revise the wastegate placement.
    Sounds good. I'm really interested in building a manifold. Obviously nothing crazy. Basically, I'd like to just fit and practice welding and see if I could pull it off. Ya know, a fun way to pass the time this winter.

Where did you get that flange? How about the material?
    OLD
    E30

636whp
    1/4 mile: 10.91@144.38
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_f7fUVqblI

NEW BUILD
    335d

520whp
    635wtq
    120.51mph trap speed

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by futureroadracer View Post
    Sounds good. I'm really interested in building a manifold. Obviously nothing crazy. Basically, I'd like to just fit and practice welding and see if I could pull it off. Ya know, a fun way to pass the time this winter.

Where did you get that flange? How about the material?
    The machined flange is either left over from when multiplex and I were running them or I picked it up possibly from AR Design, I forget. The jig plate is 1/2" 1018 CRS.

Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast